T Nation

What to Eat for Breakfast: Meat 'n' Nuts or Carbs?

I have to get my training session in early. I used to have breakfast with the kids, drop them to school and then hit the gym.

I tried Poliquin’s meat and nut breakfast, Loved it!!! The energy for early training is fantastic, but now I train even earlier, so facing a slab of meat and nuts at 6 am does not make me happy.

I used to have homemade breakfast shakes (egg whites, oats, protein powder, pro biotic yoghurt, berries, etc)… but I don’t know if a liquid shake is the best pre-training meal?!

I agree with the Poliquin principle to have protein and Fats in the morning and to load up on Carbs after your workout. But again, a steak and brazil nuts at 6 am, is not working.

I am trying to put on some quality muscle, but not dirty bulk.

Any suggestions Appreciated?

[quote]JJSchmidt wrote:
I have to get my training session in early. I used to have breakfast with the kids, drop them to school and then hit the gym.

I tried Poliquin’s meat and nut breakfast, Loved it!!! The energy for early training is fantastic, but now I train even earlier, so facing a slab of meat and nuts at 6 am does not make me happy.

I used to have homemade breakfast shakes (egg whites, oats, protein powder, pro biotic yoghurt, berries, etc)… but I don’t know if a liquid shake is the best pre-training meal?!

I agree with the Poliquin principle to have protein and Fats in the morning and to load up on Carbs after your workout. But again, a steak and brazil nuts at 6 am, is not working.

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with having a shake.

“I agree with the Poliquin principle to have protein and Fats in the morning and to load up on Carbs after your workout. But again, a steak and brazil nuts at 6 am, is not working.”

Is there a question? It seems like you are saying that you agree that for your health and performance goals you should go meat and nuts, so the obvious suggestion is to eat meat and nuts. It also seems like you are saying that you simply will not do that because it seems unappetizing that early in the morning. So it seems that you both know what you should do for performance, and know that you will not do that – so what exactly is the real question?

Maybe find a way to make a steak and nuts shake.

why dont you try something like this

Cooked oats
Natty Pb/coconut oil
whey protien
cinnamon

mix it all up togoether and vary amounts to meet your macros-- tastes awesome during the cold canadian winters! hah

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The issue I have with Shakes is that, IF I have a breakfast shake, then hit the gym, have a BCAA shake as I train, then have my post work out shake… I’m all ‘shook’ out :wink:

Seriously though, it’s a lot of liquid to be taking in. And there is research to suggest that drinking liquids with protein, fats, etc. are sometimes slower absorbed than solid food, that is chewed.

The issue I have with the meat and nuts, wasn’t an issue previously, as I eat at 8am, now when I get up at 6am, I have to force myself to chew down the steak and nuts and because of this I feel nauseous when I train.

[quote]JJSchmidt wrote:

[/quote]

How about just tough out a training session in a fasted state. You’ll get used to it.

Eat after.

No biggie.

My favourite healthy high protein breakfast may take a little too long for your rushed morning but I’ll throw it in here anyway. Whole wheat wrap with two slices of lean ham, eight egg whites with one whole egg. On occasion I’ll put a little low fat cheese (depending on training goals).

Splash some Franks hot sauce and a side of salsa and I’m a happy and satisfied dude in the A.M. My buddy does the exact same thing only he microwaves his eggs to save time.

I usually eat 3 eggs + some cottage cheese and salsa every morning. About an hour or two before lifting.

Sip on some Gatorade + BCAA’s during my sessions. Been working good for me so far.

I’ve been hitting up chicken and steamed broccoli right before lifting. Diced tomatoes with the chicken, cook chicken on the George Foreman grill. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Ive been doing yogurt, milk, eggs, and cottage cheese, recently since meat has been hard for me to come by. I throw that in with some granola and oatmeal. Its really heavy on the dairy which im not to keen on, but its been getting my mornings going very well recently. I also like to do my crystal light too, i have a hard time getting plain water down in the mornings.

2 scoops ON 100% natural oats and whey. Add some milk and a lil evoo and chocolate syrup.

What’s breakfast?