What to Eat First, Protein or Carbs?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but it’s something I’ve always wondered.

When you eating, does it make any difference whether you eat your proteins or your carbs 1st?

Eat your protein first.

John Berardi said that it’s best to eat proteins first so you don’t get full on carbs or fats.

I do that anyways b/c the protein in meals is usually the best!

Dante ALWAYS recommends eating proteins first.

He’s a big guy.

So I listen to him.

Yeah, ofcourse!

You should ingest about 10g of each at a time, starting with proteins and then alternating between the two with each mouthfull. Also, be sure not too have too much protein because you can only ingest ~40g per meal - any more your kidneys will fail.

(I’ll throw in the /sarcasm incase you guys aren’t picking that up)

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Yeah, ofcourse!

You should ingest about 10g of each at a time, starting with proteins and then alternating between the two with each mouthfull. Also, be sure not too have too much protein because you can only ingest ~40g per meal - any more your kidneys will fail.

(I’ll throw in the /sarcasm incase you guys aren’t picking that up)[/quote]

haha…leave out the sarcasm next time. Its more entertaining when people believe you.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Yeah, ofcourse!

(I’ll throw in the /sarcasm incase you guys aren’t picking that up)[/quote]

I see we have found the sharpest tool in the shed

Indeed, we have.

people have actually seriously responded to this thread? how about just eat the damn meal

Aai, nevermind.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
people have actually seriously responded to this thread? how about just eat the damn meal[/quote]

X2…mix the shit together. I actually started thinking about PWO from the OP’s question. Would it be smart to ingest carbs first for an insulin spike and then slam the protein when you’re body’s primed for absorption?

"DC::Think for a second–If you fill your hunger with protein first what are you most likely not going to eat a huge amount of? It takes roughly 24.6-26 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of protein yet it only takes roughly 3.8 to 4.2 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of fats/carbs so are you figureing out yet why my trainees are always hot like a furnace and stay reasonably lean eating gross amounts of food?

If I can add something here to further back Dante’s theories:
Eating protein first in a meal increases the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall amount of protein as an end result in from a meal. In short a greater amount of aminos make it to the blood stream. Everytime I have written about this in the past few years people always are like “WOW I learned something new today”.
I call it eating for function.
The function of the digestive system.

I eat proteins first for 2 reasons-that digestive system is physiologically geared that way and it improves the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall availability of proteins/aminos from food for the body to use.
Carbohydrates are digested 30% in the mouth with the salivary enzyme amylase and of course chewing.

CARBS aren’t digested in the stomach=they just sit there and slowly pass into the small intestines where the pancreatic enzymes do 70% more and complete the process.
Fats are the same way if eaten first or mixed with carbs will sit there and clog up digestion.

Proteins are primarily digested in the stomach. Therfore, eating proteins after these foods will result in a reduced amount of protein digestion-leaving some incompletely digested and unabsorbable and therefore lost.
This in turn causes the undigested protein to be pulled into the small intestine reducing the protein effeciency of your meal and contributing to the mass of your colon.

You want something worse? We are set up by traditional eating to fail.
Go out to a steak house. First thing you get is your salad-THAT is the last thing you want to eat in a meal after the steak and then the potato.

Cellulose is undigestable by the human body and will really clog up the process reducing the effeciency of digestion and your meal itself.

As mentioned previously proteins speed up the metabolic rate more than carbs and fat. Concerning basal metabolism proteins speed it up 30%, Carbs and fats 10%. The mere process of digestion and absorbtion of protein races the metabolism and will increase anabolism in an advanced athlete.

Now granted you can eat a huge meal like a Mcdonalds Combo meal mix it all up and it will get digested but it will interfere with feedings and the effeciency of the meal will be less and eventually leadto a lot of adipose tissue gain.

There are reasons we eat Protein and Fat together and protein and carbs. Insulin. Eating fat and carbs are a death warrant to bb’ers when consumed together and lays adipose tissue down as easily as Home Depot lays down cheap carpet.

I could write more especially on the types of proteins and their absorbtion-things like incomplete proteins etc.

Poor Rocky still thinks Peanuts are a good protein meal when their amino acid structure is very very poor.
Maybe one day we can teach him that Rockys interpretation of DC training isn’t DC training.

Anyhoo…just my 2 cents. We are all here to learn from each other but Dante’s methods are backed by science and 3-4 years of online “University” studies with 100’s reaping the benefits-so it is good advice and gospel for most ADVANCED lifters.

PEACE.
This was a good post too in the thread:
Protein will serve you a dual role in body modification in that it is as important for body fat reduction as it is for muscular gains. In regards to body fat reduction, protein has a specific dynamic action on the metabolism which means that when you ingest protein, your metabolic rate is elevated higher and remains elevated longer than when you ingest either fats or carbohydrates.

A high carb meal will only elevate your metabolism from 4 to 30 percent above normal. This small elevation will last only 2 to 5 hours. A high protein meal however will elevate your metabolism by up to 70 percent above normal and this effect can last as long as 10 to 12 hours."

www.intensemuscle.com/5722-eating-protein-first-reviewing-why-we-do.html

good shit zraw, missed that and I’ve read an ungodly amount over at intensemuscle.com. Very interesting nonetheless

[quote]SSC wrote:
Dante ALWAYS recommends eating proteins first.

He’s a big guy.

So I listen to him.[/quote]

QFT.

When it comes to taking advice from people on how to get jacked:

Being huge > Having a PHD.

Thanks zraw, awesome post. Putting some facts behind the recommended numbers always reassures me when I’m trying a new diet, specifically when eating a lot of protein.

[quote]zraw wrote:
"DC::Think for a second–If you fill your hunger with protein first what are you most likely not going to eat a huge amount of? It takes roughly 24.6-26 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of protein yet it only takes roughly 3.8 to 4.2 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of fats/carbs so are you figureing out yet why my trainees are always hot like a furnace and stay reasonably lean eating gross amounts of food?

If I can add something here to further back Dante’s theories:
Eating protein first in a meal increases the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall amount of protein as an end result in from a meal. In short a greater amount of aminos make it to the blood stream. Everytime I have written about this in the past few years people always are like “WOW I learned something new today”.
I call it eating for function.
The function of the digestive system.

I eat proteins first for 2 reasons-that digestive system is physiologically geared that way and it improves the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall availability of proteins/aminos from food for the body to use.
Carbohydrates are digested 30% in the mouth with the salivary enzyme amylase and of course chewing.

CARBS aren’t digested in the stomach=they just sit there and slowly pass into the small intestines where the pancreatic enzymes do 70% more and complete the process.
Fats are the same way if eaten first or mixed with carbs will sit there and clog up digestion.

Proteins are primarily digested in the stomach. Therfore, eating proteins after these foods will result in a reduced amount of protein digestion-leaving some incompletely digested and unabsorbable and therefore lost.
This in turn causes the undigested protein to be pulled into the small intestine reducing the protein effeciency of your meal and contributing to the mass of your colon.

You want something worse? We are set up by traditional eating to fail.
Go out to a steak house. First thing you get is your salad-THAT is the last thing you want to eat in a meal after the steak and then the potato.

Cellulose is undigestable by the human body and will really clog up the process reducing the effeciency of digestion and your meal itself.

As mentioned previously proteins speed up the metabolic rate more than carbs and fat. Concerning basal metabolism proteins speed it up 30%, Carbs and fats 10%. The mere process of digestion and absorbtion of protein races the metabolism and will increase anabolism in an advanced athlete.

Now granted you can eat a huge meal like a Mcdonalds Combo meal mix it all up and it will get digested but it will interfere with feedings and the effeciency of the meal will be less and eventually leadto a lot of adipose tissue gain.

There are reasons we eat Protein and Fat together and protein and carbs. Insulin. Eating fat and carbs are a death warrant to bb’ers when consumed together and lays adipose tissue down as easily as Home Depot lays down cheap carpet.

I could write more especially on the types of proteins and their absorbtion-things like incomplete proteins etc.

Poor Rocky still thinks Peanuts are a good protein meal when their amino acid structure is very very poor.
Maybe one day we can teach him that Rockys interpretation of DC training isn’t DC training.

Anyhoo…just my 2 cents. We are all here to learn from each other but Dante’s methods are backed by science and 3-4 years of online “University” studies with 100’s reaping the benefits-so it is good advice and gospel for most ADVANCED lifters.

PEACE.
This was a good post too in the thread:
Protein will serve you a dual role in body modification in that it is as important for body fat reduction as it is for muscular gains. In regards to body fat reduction, protein has a specific dynamic action on the metabolism which means that when you ingest protein, your metabolic rate is elevated higher and remains elevated longer than when you ingest either fats or carbohydrates.

A high carb meal will only elevate your metabolism from 4 to 30 percent above normal. This small elevation will last only 2 to 5 hours. A high protein meal however will elevate your metabolism by up to 70 percent above normal and this effect can last as long as 10 to 12 hours."

www.intensemuscle.com/5722-eating-protein-first-reviewing-why-we-do.html

[/quote]

this is the biggest crock of shit I have ever read on this forum (and that’s saying a lot).

but hey, what do I know, I’m not “huge”.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:

this is the biggest crock of shit I have ever read on this forum (and that’s saying a lot).

but hey, what do I know, I’m not “huge”.[/quote]

we agree on something :wink:

If you have a meal plan with a precise macro break down of protein, carbs and fats I don’t think it matters at all. However, If you’re trying to just eat big, eating protein first makes sense. Its a simple way to help get adequate protein throughout the day and keep other macros at bay. Stuffing yourself with protein is most likely better for your body comp. than stuffing urself with the other macros. Eating protein first in this case will help prevent you from stuffing yourself with the other macros.

However, like I said before, if you planned out ur daily macros in advance it doesn’t matter.

Wow. I had no idea people thought about this level of detail.

Stupid me. I’ve just been putting food in my mouth in random order and eating it. No wonder I’m not swole

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:

but hey, what do I know, I’m not “huge”.[/quote]

Well maybe you could explain to us why it is?