What to Eat During a Meet.....

what do you guys eat/drink during a PL meet? What about the day before? I am not worried about making weight. I’m 48 and 173#, so I’ll lift in the 181’s
THANKS

In my opinion, you should eat what you normally eat before you train. I would probably just pack pb sandwiches.

I was thinking between lifts to have PB sandwiches, and pre-workout drinks.

Oreos & PB&J Sandwiches.

I always had a notion that one should eat, ya know, somewhat healthy on a day of a meet. Honestly Im really surprised how many people eat the shittiest food imaginable on a meet day. If anyone could explain this to me it would be appreciated

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
I always had a notion that one should eat, ya know, somewhat healthy on a day of a meet. Honestly Im really surprised how many people eat the shittiest food imaginable on a meet day. If anyone could explain this to me it would be appreciated[/quote]

BEcause its a powerlfting meet and not a goddamned bodybuilding show?

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
I always had a notion that one should eat, ya know, somewhat healthy on a day of a meet. Honestly Im really surprised how many people eat the shittiest food imaginable on a meet day. If anyone could explain this to me it would be appreciated[/quote]

Stored carbs=high muscle contraction speeds=more force developed in a shorter period of time=more weight lifted.

Shitty carbs digest faster than non-shitty carbs. This is not rocket science.

OP, personally, I hate eating before or during a meet. That being said, I smash food the night before and just stick with liquids the day of the competitions (pre workouts shakes, protein shakes, coffee by the gallon). I lift more when I am a little hungry.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
BEcause its a powerlfting meet and not a goddamned bodybuilding show?[/quote]

LOLLLL LOOLLLLLL!! haa haaaaaaa, ha haaa. whoo. ok. im catching my breath now. whew…

ok, now that i can breath again, yes, what he said. i find comfort foods for me like twinkies and beef jerky along with a half dozen 5 hour energy drinks do me wonders. at my next meet i am so gonna try peanut butter sandwiches.

Grounded up oats and bran cereal with casien/egg protein powder, with added creatine powder and leucine powder. Seems to work out good for me.

would loading up on creatine the day before be of any benifit? Extra carbs? Or just keep doing what I’ve been doing?

Just keep doing what you’re doing. I doubt creatine loading for ONE day would make any difference, STB can answer this better if he chooses to.

Extra carbs will help. Is this your first meet, though? I wouldn’t go loading up on carbs the night before if you aren’t sure how well you’ll handle it the next day. Keep on doing what you’re doing, try experimentation when it doesn’t really count. Or you know, try it anyway, cause it’s one meet so who gives a shit?

I second the massive amount of coffee. I stick with caffeine pills and take 1-2 during warmups before every lift. Who needs sleep that night?

[quote]DaveForner wrote:
Just keep doing what you’re doing. I doubt creatine loading for ONE day would make any difference, STB can answer this better if he chooses to.

Extra carbs will help. Is this your first meet, though? I wouldn’t go loading up on carbs the night before if you aren’t sure how well you’ll handle it the next day. Keep on doing what you’re doing, try experimentation when it doesn’t really count. Or you know, try it anyway, cause it’s one meet so who gives a shit?

I second the massive amount of coffee. I stick with caffeine pills and take 1-2 during warmups before every lift. Who needs sleep that night?[/quote]

This is my third meet. The first meet was Oct '11, the last one was in Jan '12. All my openers are going to be more than my third attepts in those meets. I just want to make sure I am recovered, and ready to do battle!

I follow a carb cycling diet and treat a meet day like a high day.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Brian14 wrote:

Most bodybuilders I know don’t really eat healthy the day of the show. It seems like everyone I’ve talked to is a big fan of burgers and fries. I actually had a bacon cheeseburger and two orders of fries between prejudging and the night show. Best I looked all day was the few hours following that meal.

For PL I like a pb, banana and jelly sammich or two. I don’t like to eat much on meet day and pbbj is enough to keep my blood sugar stable and full enough.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Most bodybuilders I know don’t really eat healthy the day of the show. It seems like everyone I’ve talked to is a big fan of burgers and fries. I actually had a bacon cheeseburger and two orders of fries between prejudging and the night show. Best I looked all day was the few hours following that meal.

For PL I like a pb, banana and jelly sammich or two. I don’t like to eat much on meet day and pbbj is enough to keep my blood sugar stable and full enough.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure I remember hearing Arnold himself talking about how he would eat pie lol.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Brian14 wrote:

For PL I like a pb, banana and jelly sammich or two. I don’t like to eat much on meet day and pbbj is enough to keep my blood sugar stable and full enough.[/quote]

I like the PB-B-J idea. A couple of those and a couple protein shakes should be good.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Brian14 wrote:

Yeah I was using hyperbole to make a point.

I’m curious about the eating between the judging events though. Do you drink liquids as well? Or just the food? I know nothing about manipulating body comp at that level of leanness, so I’m curious. I thought drinking was verboten but not sure.

Can’t forget about the bloat! A lot of lifters try to retain as much water as possible on meet days. The idea is that if you have more water stored in your muscles, they will function better.

Also, a big belly can help hit big lifts (less ROM in bench, more pressure when wearing a belt, etc…)

Not to say that it works, though. Just FYI.

I’ve never completed but read somewhere (think DeFranco?) to load up on sushi and soy sauce the night before a meet or testing. All the sodium and carbs leads to a bigger bloat and hopefully a bigger total.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve never completed but read somewhere (think DeFranco?) to load up on sushi and soy sauce the night before a meet or testing. All the sodium and carbs leads to a bigger bloat and hopefully a bigger total.[/quote]

Yes, DeFranco did recommend that.

I think it’s a solid idea assuming you have a 24 hour weigh-in rather than a 2-hour. Cause it’d duck to bloat out of your weight class.

Although the thread’s question was about what to eat during a meet.

This is what I typically bring:

Several balance bars… not exactly optimal food, but they don’t upset my stomach like protein bars do and they taste delicious and don’t weigh me down.

Surge Recovery… tons of it. I sip throughout.

Maybe some beef jerky.

One or two pieces of fruit (normally apples). Too much acid, I’ve found, doesn’t sit well with me. Normally one apple at some point is just fine.

Lots of energy drinks… The caffeine keeps me alert and also suppresses the hunger pangs.