T Nation

What to Eat/Drink Before Bed?

I don't have any casein available at the moment to drink before bed. What else could I eat/drink that would allow me to absorb protein throughout the night? My main goal is strength but I'm also looking to gain size and muscle mass. I'm currently just taking a scoop of whey protein(it says it has significant levels of BCAA's but it doesn't tell how much)in a big glass of whole milk.

Thanks in advance.

Cottage cheese

/thread

Is it only cottage cheese or is it dairy products in general? I just read something that the protein in milk is 80% casein and 20% whey.

Is it only cottage cheese or is it dairy products in general? I just read something that the protein in milk is 80% casein and 20% whey.

If you don't mind what you're doing, it's fine. Maybe toss some PB in there if you want some more calories.

I do the same thing.

Cottage cheese or a shake, plus 10g of psyllium husk fiber, plus some bromelain (at least for me) and a pro-biotic.

Cottage cheese mixed with yoghurt. Eat 200-300g of apple with it, it'll slow down protein absorbtion further.

They say to take casein is the best to take before bed, as already stated.

But I take 1 serving of PB 1 cup of milk ans 2 scoops of whey.

Pizza.

Pop-tarts!

But seriously, cottage cheese, meat, and all cheeses in general, will keep anabolism high during sleep due to their slow breakdown. Milk is good but it causes a significant insulin spike. If you don't mind some lipogenesis late at night, then its a good protein source before bed.

I like to throw cashews in my cottage cheese. It ups the cals quite a bit (1/2 cup cashews = 340 cals), and you get more healthy fats. A scoop of Metabolic Drive also mixes in quite well.

S