T Nation

What To Eat Before Bed?

I used to drink a big protein shake before bed. Now that I have no money for protein powder, I have to improvise. My current before bed shake looks like this.
1 cup mixed berries
1 cup raw steel cut oatmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups soy milk

This isn’t working because I keep waking up in the middle of the night hungry. Any ideas on what I can switch it to?

Thanks for your help.
B

Frankly, that sucks. Soy milk? Ugh.

Try cottage cheese and natural peanut butter. That’s casein, healthy fats and a few vitamins and minerals. Maybe add some milled flax for fiber. I usually eat a couple of eggs about an hour or so before my shake.

if your bulking… turkeys good

turkey sandwich

I second the cottage cheese and PB. But hell if you can afford to eat enough before bed to keep you from waking up hungry (who the hell actually does that anyway?) then you can afford some protein powder.

How can you afford 1/4 cup of olive oil a night, and not a scoop of protein. Seriously, olive oil is WAY more expensive than protein.

Also, I’m not seeing how this is a protein shake substitute when you don’t have much protein in it?

Anyway, I agree with the above posts. I’m a huge supporter of cottage cheese before bed. I love it and it’s supposed to really prevent catabolism.

Eggs are good and cheap too.

Hey, isn’t 1/4 cup of olive oil a little excessive? that’s like 480 calories of oil there. I’m guessing this is so you don’t wake up hungry? I love olive oil and all but…

I usually have the following shake.

16 ounces of hood
1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese
2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon of olive or avocado oil

Oh yeah, throw a scoop of Grow! (Metabolic Drive) in there if you can cough up the money.

Yum!

Christopher