What to Drink During Lifting

I have been reading that water alone isn’t the best thing to be drinkin during liftin and that I should be mixin some simple carbs with my during workout drink.

What is the best thing to add? I don’t want to spend lots of money on a supplement for it, is there anything cheap or somthing I would have at home that I could use like a fruit juice or somthing?

I take Biotest Surge Recovery PO to spike my insulin would getting simple carbs during and then taking the Biotest after spike my insulin too much?

Thanks!

[quote]zz ALL 57AR zz wrote:
What is the best thing to add? I don’t want to spend lots of money on a supplement for it, is there anything cheap or somthing I would have at home that I could use like a fruit juice or somthing?[/quote]

If you’re trying to add size, something like juice or a juice-water mix is better than nothing at all. In the first half of this century, it wasn’t uncommon for lifters to drink whole milk while they train. But, as a heads up, it can sit pretty heavy on the stomach and make you want to yak. So tread carefully. :wink:

But really, if you’ve already got Surge Recovery, the best bet would be to just drink it during your workout instead of after, for now. That was part of the basis of the peri-workout nutrition they’ve been working on, which lead to the Anaconda Protocol:
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_muscle_anaconda/anaconda_protocol

Before Anaconda and MAG-10 were available, Thibaudeau had lifters doing a similar plan (drinking something before and something during, instead of afterwards) using Surge Recovery and Surge Workout Fuel.

If your training is intense enough, you don’t have anything to worry about having Surge Recovery during and after your training. Double dosing like that is actually one method people have used when trying to add lean muscle. Read more about it here:

So, yeah. Not to confuse you, but having Surge post-workout is good, having Surge before and during your workout is better.

I’ll second what Chris said…Chocolate Surge Recovery, FTW. Cheaper would be powdered Gatorade and 20g of whey with maybe some creatine mono.

i mean, it’s not like drinking water during is going to make you smaller. lol

I have a liter of water and my carb/protein drink. I rarely finish the liter of water. Usually only on leg days.

Once you use Surge Recovery, you will never go back to whey and gatorade again imho. I have only ever used the original flavor and have no reason to try anything else, it tastes amazing (i mix 2 scoops in 24oz water and drink it during my workout).

I always mix whatever I’m drinking during the workout with 2-2.5 liters of water. Since drinking more water with my BCAA’s and protein during the workout, my workouts have been more intense and I have gotten amazing results without changing anything else.

gatorade, whey, creatine, bcaa’s, and honey for me. keeps me going!

[quote]grettiron wrote:
gatorade, whey, creatine, bcaa’s, and honey for me. keeps me going! [/quote]

Surge Workout Fuel and XTEND BCAAs for me. Think adding honey to that will help me in any way, other than the energy??

I just drink plain water.

I was never a huge fan of post/pre/peri wokrout nutrition and all that.

Perhaps I will try a little dextrose or maybe just table sugar in water with whey.

I usually drink a 25gram whey shake before workout, and I have carbs in the meal before that…never tried carbs during, but certainly it makes sense.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
I have a liter of water and my carb/protein drink. I rarely finish the liter of water. Usually only on leg days. [/quote]

What’s your carb-protein drink like? Just curious and bored.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
grettiron wrote:

Surge Workout Fuel and XTEND BCAAs for me. Think adding honey to that will help me in any way, other than the energy??
[/quote]

i only do it for the energy. never tried SWF or really any of the Biotest powders due to allergen content.

Yesterday I decided to try out your advice, I had one scoop of Surge before working out and mixed 2 scoops to drink while working out. It made a big difference!

I was able to work alot harder than I would normally have been able too and I had no pain this morning at all normally when I work that hard I would wake up with a little ache or slight pain but nothing and I worked harder! Deffinately going to stick to doing this from now on!

Have you ever tried reading the DOZENS AND DOZENS of articles about peri-workout nutrition on here, or the hundreds (or thousands) all over the internet or in muscle rags?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Have you ever tried reading the DOZENS AND DOZENS of articles about peri-workout nutrition on here, or the hundreds (or thousands) all over the internet or in muscle rags? [/quote]

there’s nothing wrong with asking what other people are doing, especially people who aren’t trying to sell something.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
I have a liter of water and my carb/protein drink. I rarely finish the liter of water. Usually only on leg days.

What’s your carb-protein drink like? Just curious and bored. [/quote]

About 1 scoop of gatorade and 20-30g of GROW!

Would drinking a shake with Grow! in it during your workout be ok? Usually I have a shake and some yams before I go workout. (because its cheap)

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Have you ever tried reading the DOZENS AND DOZENS of articles about peri-workout nutrition on here, or the hundreds (or thousands) all over the internet or in muscle rags? [/quote]

there’s nothing wrong with asking what other people are doing, especially people who aren’t trying to sell something.[/quote]

What’s wrong with selling?

Besides, if I recommend something, perhaps Gatorade powder, than I might be contributing to Gatorade’s sales. Same goes for grape juice. This guy might go out and lend to the sales of a grape juice company.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Would drinking a shake with Grow! in it during your workout be ok? [/quote]

Yes

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
grettiron wrote:

[/quote]

i only do it for the energy. never tried SWF or really any of the Biotest powders due to allergen content.[/quote]

Seriously, how the fuck did they get hazelnuts in that shit?

I demand an explanation.