T Nation

What to Do with Pelvic Floor while Bracing?

Title says it all.
I've been spending the last months working on posture and movement quality and it is paying off big time, but I'm missing this last piece of the puzzle. I manage to get a good proper brace, good air in including to the lower and upper back, ribs are down, but I don't know what to do with the pelvic floor. Should I pull inwards like a kegel, or should I just not think about it?

Have a good weekend all!

biggest breath you can, bear down like you’re taking a shit.

Don’t worry about the individual muscles of the core, just brace your midsection like hell.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Don’t worry about the individual muscles of the core, just brace your midsection like hell.[/quote]

Yup. You’re forming a big bubble in your midsection; don’t allow any pressure to escape.

As Chris Duffin says, prepare for the 1000lb weight falling out of the sky onto your back

Thank you all for the input, that’s pretty much what I do, was just wondering if actively contracting the pelvic floor was part of the equation or not.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Don’t worry about the individual muscles of the core, just brace your midsection like hell.[/quote]

This. Although for me I know I’m at maximum brace when I feel the pressure coming up into the base of my skull. I try to envisage popping my head off and taking a massive dump at the same time.

Hahaha damm, now that’s a cue I will never forget.

Happy to help