T Nation

What to Do When You Stop Caring?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Spry wrote:

I always thought that those who desired to know ‘WHY’ we are on this planet were stupid - we just are.

Now I’m asking that same question.

Spry.

Well then, the last thing you would want to hear is that spirituality is a part of who we are so ignoring even the possibility of there being a reason would mean you believe the world revolves around chaos and the random occasional manifestation of order by pure accident.

I don’t see why people who think that way aren’t depressed 24/7.

May the debate start now.[/quote]

This is something I have wondered also, and I’m looking at this from the other side of the fence to you.

I would say that the answer to your question would be that not believing in a divine order doesn’t mean that you believe in the absence of any order at all.

You may believe that you are in control of your own destiny and take steps to achieve your aspirations, if successful this would lead to satisfaction and happiness.

The real problem is when you don’t believe in anything at all.

[quote]IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Spry wrote:

I always thought that those who desired to know ‘WHY’ we are on this planet were stupid - we just are.

Spry.

Well then, the last thing you would want to hear is that spirituality is a part of who we are so ignoring even the possibility of there being a reason would mean you believe the world revolves around chaos and the random occasional manifestation of order by pure accident.

May the debate start now.

This is something I have wondered also, and I’m looking at this from the other side of the fence to you.

I would say that the answer to your question would be that not believing in a divine order doesn’t mean that you believe in the absence of any order at all.

You may believe that you are in control of your own destiny and take steps to achieve your aspirations, if successful this would lead to satisfaction and happiness.

The real problem is when you don’t believe in anything at all.[/quote]

I agree with that last sentence, but if you believe in destiny, then you must believe there is a purpose…and if you believe in a purpose, is the belief of an ultimate power deniable?

Spry wrote:

Spry.

May the debate start now.[/quote]

If we were born with all the answers there wouldn’t be much point in living. It’s up to use to discover what we are made of. I think that is why we are here. No one ever wants to embrace the hard times when your face is in the mud, when in fact, those are the times that define us. Every struggle, every obstacle that each of us has overcome made us better off as long as we were aware that life was trying to teach us something at that point.

Fall down 7, get up 8. Progress is a beautiful thing.

I am a similar point right now. The thing is, I’ve got a lot of OPTIONS, but I’m not sure what drives me, what’d motivate me, in which path will I give the best of myself.

Some options will get more clear in a 3-5 months time. In the meantime, it’s like I feel useless, I dont want to do the things I should… and I’m broke.

All the things I’d put in place would pay off in about a years time. You could say “I’m depressed” right now and it’d probably be true. But it’s “real”, not some hormonal thing you can fix with a damn drug. Lucky man I eat right and exercice!

Basically, like myself, you need a short/medium term goal to shoot for. If you REALLY want to be a pilot then yeah, there’s no excuse and get off your butt. If deep down you’re not so sure, than I understand you and it sucks being in that limbo.

I agree with that last sentence, but if you believe in destiny, then you must believe there is a purpose…and if you believe in a purpose, is the belief of an ultimate power deniable?[/quote]

Believing in yourself doesn’t mean you believe in destiny. Destiny would mean that your life has a predetermined conclusion which would go against believing that you are in control.

An individual isn’t capable of creating his or her own destiny as that would have been determined before they were even born. An individual is only capable of creating his or her own opportunities.

[quote]IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I agree with that last sentence, but if you believe in destiny, then you must believe there is a purpose…and if you believe in a purpose, is the belief of an ultimate power deniable?

Believing in yourself doesn’t mean you believe in destiny. Destiny would mean that your life has a predetermined conclusion which would go against believing that you are in control.[/quote]

What if you are in control of the choices you make and there is more than one ending?

IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Spry wrote:

Spry.

May the debate start now.

I agree with that last sentence, but if you believe in destiny, then you must believe there is a purpose…and if you believe in a purpose, is the belief of an ultimate power deniable?[/quote]

What if you dont take either 100%?

I beleive in a higher power. What/which higher power I havent a clue. I dont go to church, and I dont consider myself religious but I talk to “god” becuase I do beleive there is something that is going to take care of me in the way they see fit.

Destiny to me means everything is pre-planned if you will. That my higher power has decided what will happen now, tomorrow and until I expire. While I dont believe that I think certian aspects are.

Like my wife leaving me. Theres a reason to that, for 2 people that for the last 8 years didnt beleive the term divorce should even exist. I at least want to beleive that happend for a reason. My dad died when I was 16, willing to bet that had a purpose whether or not I agree with them.

At the same time I think the minutia will be decided by me. Will I change jobs, will I get the job, will my car start when I go out. But the majors I think happen for a reason.

Am I off base? Is this how most people feel on the subject or what. I generally feel like I am the only one that feels this way.

My church going friends think im wrong, and the other half doesn’t get it either.

IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Believing in yourself doesn’t mean you believe in destiny. Destiny would mean that your life has a predetermined conclusion which would go against believing that you are in control.

What if you are in control of the choices you make and there is more than one ending?[/quote]

Perhaps this is what I meant?

[quote]SwD wrote:
I am a similar point right now. The thing is, I’ve got a lot of OPTIONS, but I’m not sure what drives me, what’d motivate me, in which path will I give the best of myself.

Some options will get more clear in a 3-5 months time. In the meantime, it’s like I feel useless, I dont want to do the things I should… and I’m broke.

All the things I’d put in place would pay off in about a years time. You could say “I’m depressed” right now and it’d probably be true. But it’s “real”, not some hormonal thing you can fix with a damn drug. Lucky man I eat right and exercice!

Basically, like myself, you need a short/medium term goal to shoot for. If you REALLY want to be a pilot then yeah, there’s no excuse and get off your butt. If deep down you’re not so sure, than I understand you and it sucks being in that limbo. [/quote]

I am rockin the same boat as you guys. 28, paying off debts from my younger years, and just don’t have any drive or purpose. Even training sucks. I won’t turn to alcohol as drinking by yourself is utterly pointless, and I have no friends of my own.

Even the bosses at work have taken notice. I can say that I’m depressed, largely because I’ve been here before, and my therapist even noted it. My dilemma now is what to do about. I can go through the motions, however, nothing is changing.

Might just burn some leave and try to fly someplace…just get away from everything. And Prof X, damn you for hurting my head with the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence stuff! lol

IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:

What if you are in control of the choices you make and there is more than one ending?[/quote]

Then that wouldn’t be destiny.

At a stretch you could say that destiny would be being able to chose the route but not the destination.

[quote]IQ wrote:

The real problem is when you don’t believe in anything at all.[/quote]

What if you’re a Nihilist?

[quote]IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:
IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:

What if you are in control of the choices you make and there is more than one ending?

At a stretch you could say that destiny would be being able to chose the route but not the destination.[/quote]

Seems this thread has been hijacked by a higher power…

The debate over existentialism is probably adding to the OP’s confusion.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
What if you dont take either 100%?

I beleive in a higher power. What/which higher power I havent a clue. I dont go to church, and I dont consider myself religious but I talk to “god” becuase I do beleive there is something that is going to take care of me in the way they see fit.

Destiny to me means everything is pre-planned if you will. That my higher power has decided what will happen now, tomorrow and until I expire. While I dont believe that I think certian aspects are.

Like my wife leaving me. Theres a reason to that, for 2 people that for the last 8 years didnt beleive the term divorce should even exist. I at least want to beleive that happend for a reason. My dad died when I was 16, willing to bet that had a purpose whether or not I agree with them.

At the same time I think the minutia will be decided by me. Will I change jobs, will I get the job, will my car start when I go out. But the majors I think happen for a reason.

Am I off base? Is this how most people feel on the subject or what. I generally feel like I am the only one that feels this way.

My church going friends think im wrong, and the other half doesn’t get it either.

[/quote]

Sounds like the modern day version of faith to me.

I’m not religious but I admit that I envy those who are (only the ones who truly believe and aren’t just pretending though). It gives you the ability to rationalise anything.

Even if you don’t actually have much to be thankful for you can still look forward to the ultimate prize, the reward for all of your suffering and continued faith, something you know is going to happen because it has to happen…

Your death (new beginning).

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
IQ wrote:

[/quote]

Then you wouldn’t have any problems, solutions or anything for that matter.

[quote]IQ wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
IQ wrote:

Then you wouldn’t have any problems, solutions or anything for that matter.[/quote]

It is what it is.
Sometimes it is what it ain’t.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:
IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:

At a stretch you could say that destiny would be being able to chose the route but not the destination.

Seems this thread has been hijacked by a higher power…

The debate over existentialism is probably adding to the OP’s confusion.
[/quote]

He was confused long before this. What I was getting at though is it confuses me that people actually believe that those who have faith in “everything has a purpose or a reason for being” are crazy…until they get lost and need direction.

[quote]IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:
IQ wrote:
Professor X wrote:

At a stretch you could say that destiny would be being able to chose the route but not the destination.[/quote]

It would be destiny and isn’t that much of a different concept than you see on sci fi programs that involve alternate realities. Both outcomes could be part of the plan even if you choose one over the other. The absolute final outcome may still occur but it doesn’t erase the choices you had to make to get there.

He was confused long before this. What I was getting at though is it confuses me that people actually believe that those who have faith in “everything has a purpose or a reason for being” are crazy…until they get lost and need direction.[/quote]

Agreed… I missed that point in the back and forth with IQ.

For the record, I am a man of faith.

[quote]I’m thinking of getting a helicopter pilot’s license since I’ve always wanted to fly.
This would not only send me broke but put me in debt to the tune of a year’s net salary.
I am really tempted but I don’t want to ‘run away’ from the real problem (myself). [/quote]

You should look to see how much work there is for helo pilots first. I don’t think there is too much. Aviation took a big hit after 9/11 and is taking another one with fuel costs going up.

If you want to fly, though, fixed wing might be better. I suggest just getting a loan and buying a plane to learn in for your various certifications and then selling it when you’re done. Fly at least 3 times a week or you’ll never get it done.