What to Do When Plenty Left in the Tank

i am currently on the 2rep max layer with a 5 day split. (just di 5 in a row, and will roll with it again tomorow)
sometimes i am plastered, but, sometimes i still have plenty left.
what, if anything, could i do after the layer workout?
so far, ive ben doing on
pull days… rows and maybe some bi
decl and incl… some tri
ds launch… per your rec,fr squats (this package is a knockout)

thanks in advance
dom

[quote]domcib wrote:
i am currently on the 2rep max layer with a 5 day split. (just di 5 in a row, and will roll with it again tomorow)
so far, ive ben doing on
decl and incl… some tri

thanks in advance
dom[/quote]

1. Be careful when adding work. Often times stress hormones released during training can give the illusion of having more capacity than usual and you can end up overshooting it and doing too much, which will hurt your gains and future workouts.

2. You can add a minimal amount of work (3-5 sets) for a muscle involved in the main lift of the day (rowing or biceps on pull days, front squat, hack squats, hack squats or leg press on Dead-Launch day and some deltoid or triceps work on pressing days).

3. Be careful when adding work!!! (yes again) If you train hard on the main movement you WILL stimulate progress no matter what. But you risk lessening your gains more than increasing them by adding work. Do not add work just to add work. Any additional work should serve a specific purpose: correcting a precise weakness.

Here is an example of what I did today for extra work:

Warm Up
OH Squats test, mobility, OH Squats retest

Main Work
OHP from pins 1RM, 3 cluster sets, 3 HDL sets, 8 speed HDL sets

Extra Work
Was feeling awesome so I did 3x3 of high pulls with light weight focusing on form and explosion and 3x10 of light curls focusing on a peak contraction. Was VERY low intensity. I still feel awesome several hours later.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
so far, ive ben doing on
decl and incl… some tri

thanks in advance
dom[/quote]

1. Be careful when adding work. Often times stress hormones released during training can give the illusion of having more capacity than usual and you can end up overshooting it and doing too much, which will hurt your gains and future workouts.

2. You can add a minimal amount of work (3-5 sets) for a muscle involved in the main lift of the day (rowing or biceps on pull days, front squat, hack squats, hack squats or leg press on Dead-Launch day and some deltoid or triceps work on pressing days).

3. Be careful when adding work!!! (yes again) If you train hard on the main movement you WILL stimulate progress no matter what. But you risk lessening your gains more than increasing them by adding work. Do not add work just to add work. Any additional work should serve a specific purpose: correcting a precise weakness.
    [/quote]
    ct. sometimes when you write, i really have to stop and think. your background, knowledge, and experience really shines through.
    i will do my best to be careful. today for example. i did slight declines. took a little longer to ramp a little higher. clusters were tough, but an extra 15 secs of rest took care of that. the with the max rep hdl, i had to lower the weight some. i was fried and not able to do “extra”. i will try to stay in my cage. thanks for the help.

I typically do some face pulls after each pressing day, usually just 4-5 sets of 12 with 60 lbs on the cable machine.

On squat days I just do some light (135 lbs) Romanian deadlifts for 4-5 sets of 12 as well.

High pull days I don’t do any work. I can usually tell early into the workout if I feel really good or really crappy that day. On days that I feel really good I’ll perform the first layer, ramping up to a 1RM, then drop down by about 20 lbs or so and ramp back up to the 1RM weight so that I get a couple extra sets in at a weight at or above 90% of my 1RM. Either that or when I get above 90% I’ll perform two sets at each weight until I hit my 1RM for that day.

1. Be careful when adding work!!! (yes again) If you train hard on the main movement you WILL stimulate progress no matter what. But you risk lessening your gains more than increasing them by adding work. Do not add work just to add work. Any additional work should serve a specific purpose: correcting a precise weakness.
    [/quote]
    weakness in form, or strength, or look? or whatever?
    very intresting concept.“specific purpose”, not just for stimulus.
    with Anaconda, you feel like u can do more. with Plazma, forget about it.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Here is an example of what I did today for extra work:

Warm Up
OH Squats test, mobility, OH Squats retest

Main Work
OHP from pins 1RM, 3 cluster sets, 3 HDL sets, 8 speed HDL sets

Extra Work
Was feeling awesome so I did 3x3 of high pulls with light weight focusing on form and explosion and 3x10 of light curls focusing on a peak contraction. Was VERY low intensity. I still feel awesome several hours later.[/quote]

I actually like the idea of doing “technique” work for the high pull after overhead presses, these complement themselves well.

[quote]domcib wrote:
ct. sometimes when you write, i really have to stop and think. your background, knowledge, and experience really shines through.
i will do my best to be careful. today for example. i did slight declines. took a little longer to ramp a little higher. clusters were tough, but an extra 15 secs of rest took care of that. the with the max rep hdl, i had to lower the weight some. i was fried and not able to do “extra”. i will try to stay in my cage. thanks for the help.[/quote]

I’ve seen too many athletes (including myself) ruin their progress by doing too much of the weong thing or of the wrong level. When you add something at the end of your workout it better be something that will have a significant effect because each additional set is using energy that could be used to fuel the muscle growth and repair processes.

got it… i’ll leave it for the “off days”
thanks