T Nation

What to Do When Life Gets in the Way?

example situation: fight with girlfriend lasts till 3am, wake up for work at 7, training session at 5 and as expected energy shot to shit.
Should I
a)grit teeth and perform workout as planned?
b)perform scaled down version of workout?
c)bail, push session back a day?
d)do something else?

Ive been there before, I think the best thing for body and mind is to crush the intended workout

I have this problem more often than I like (lack of sleep, lack of energy, etc). I tend to start my ramp, and see how it progresses. If I feel like I’m getting better, as the ramp progresses, I’ll stick with it. If I don’t, and I’m still feeling sluggish and have no energy, I cut it and complete the w/o the next day. Whenever I do that, I tend to come back better. In fact, it happened twice to me in the past two weeks, and the in pushed back w/o, I hit PRs either in the Ramp, the Clusters, or HDL.

When I just plow ahead, I get a shitty w/o in, and often that leads to poor form, which messes up movement pattern memory. My next w/o usually suffers as well.

In a post about two years ago, CT said that often, your body will “lie”, as it may be saying it is sluggish, or has no energy, but once you get warmed up and started, you have an excellent workout; conversely, you may feel great, but just don’t have it.

If I was in your situation I would still train for a couple of reasons. 1) You never know how you will respond. Plenty of times I’ve felt like shit and have had a great session. 2) Maybe more importantly it will provide a nice distraction and allow you to clear your mind, at least training always does that for me.

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
example situation: fight with girlfriend lasts till 3am, wake up for work at 7, training session at 5 and as expected energy shot to shit.
Should I
d)do something else?
[/quote]

The “hardcore” answer would be to use the rage and adrenalin (poor sleep = more adrenalin when you train) to get a better workout. But I’ll be honest, everytime this happened to me (my wife has a pretty strong personality) and tried to train I always had a bad workout and made things worse… I have the anger, but I simply can’t focus and quality is very important for me.

Everyone seems to be missing the obvious answer:

GET A NEW GIRLFRIEND!!

Sorry, I was just trying to lighten the mood. I value my relationship with my wife so I get that this is a serious matter.

CT made an interesting point. I’ve had some of my best workouts after a night of little sleep and/or a stressful day. The key was it was just ONE night of poor sleep or ONE stressful day. I felt amped up for the workout just like CT mentioned. Chronic fatigue and stress is another matter and is bad news.

So, go crush that workout.

married 25 years. usually the argument is that they are angry with you about something that you probably feel is irrelevant.
so, when they go off on ya, say “you may be right”
they will respond “i am right”
you say “i hear ya”
you will be calm. they will get more pissed. tell them that you love them, they are the sexiest, most beautiful thing on the face of this planet, and that there could never be no other.
then go workout with a clear head.

@mike - i know you’re just trying to lighten the mood, but in this case you happen to be right–she needs to go. However, it’d be naive to tell myself this won’t EVER happen with the next one.

@CT - I’m much the same way. Anger doesn’t help me, at least not with strength work. My performance suffers which in turn makes me angrier. In this case I just did a few rounds on the heavy bag (anger DOES help here). Off to bed now.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
Should I
d)do something else?
[/quote]

The “hardcore” answer would be to use the rage and adrenalin (poor sleep = more adrenalin when you train) to get a better workout. But I’ll be honest, everytime this happened to me (my wife has a pretty strong personality) and tried to train I always had a bad workout and made things worse… I have the anger, but I simply can’t focus and quality is very important for me. [/quote]
So, what’s your answer ?

CUBUFF2028: I learned to handle disagreements with my late wife almost exactly like domcib’s post. Remember that when a disagreement starts escalating. Lifting is a better outlet for letting off steam, and going to gym when I don’t feel like it has produced some surprisingly good workouts.

If that still doesn’t work for you, try MikeTheBear’s recommendation.

[quote]domcib wrote:
married 25 years. usually the argument is that they are angry with you about something that you probably feel is irrelevant.
so, when they go off on ya, say “you may be right”
they will respond “i am right”
you say “i hear ya”
you will be calm. they will get more pissed. tell them that you love them, they are the sexiest, most beautiful thing on the face of this planet, and that there could never be no other.
then go workout with a clear head.[/quote]
this is advice to live by… I personally can’t work out when I am irritated… I can do lack of sleep (I have a 1 and a 3 y/o) but I have to have total focus…

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
Should I
d)do something else?
[/quote]

Unfortunately I do not have a gf to f*ck or fight with until 3 am, but what is keeping me up are those long nights before my exams.
Anyways, I often down a liter of strong, fresh green tea in the morning. That stuff works better than caffein for me and I dont have trouble getting my workout done afterwards.

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
Should I
d)do something else?
[/quote]
dump the girlfriend + sleep + C