What to Do Now?

Been dieting for almost a year. Hurt my back last may and went from 230-235 at 5’9" to 165-170. lost a decent amount of muscle around the thighs and back from being injured but it’s coming back. I’ve tapered down to 1800-1900 calories a day using a CKD. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m not happy having calories this low and I want to eat more. Training 6-7 days a week rotating

1:
shoulders/arms
20-30 minutes of steady state cardio
2:
Quads
20-30 minutes spin bike intervals
3:
Hammies
20-30 minutes of steady state cardio
4:
Chest:
either crossfit style cardio or steady state
5:
back
25-40 minutes on the concept 2 rower

My next post will contain more pictures and details

What do you want to do now?

Shoulders and arms:
Klokov press: Ramp up to 8-12 reps
HS shoulder press: ramp up to 8-12 reps
Lateral raise 4x10-25
DB upright row 3x10-20
lateral delt machine: 1x30+
Seated dumbbell cleans: 4x10-20
Machine rear delts 4x10-20
Plate raises 4xfail

v handle cable curls 4x8-12
dumbbell curls 4x8-12
pinwheel curls 3x10-20

Tricep work is being experimented on 12-15 work sets

Quads:
ATG squat ramped and then multiple high rep sets paused and no lockout (generally a lot of volume here)
Split squats 4x10 weighted
leg press 3x10 and 1x20+

Hammies
Light good mornings 4x10
GHR 4x10-15
HS seated leg curl 4x8-12
DB RDLs 4x15-20

Chest:
BB Bench press: 3-5x3-6
DB low incline 4x8-12
Machine fly: 4x10-20
Dips 2-3x10-12
HS incline press 1xfail

Back:
Pullups: bodyweightxfail, 3xfail weighted
straight arm pulldowns 4x10-12
Lat pulldowns 3x8-12
Meadow’s Stretchers 4x1-15

Light deadlights: 4x10 (working on technique post injury)
Barbell rows 4x8-12
Kroc Rows 4x10-15
HS Rows 1x fail with each handle variation

Been experimenting with Meadow’s rows too I like them so far:

Arms/shoulders

another back shot

a few months post back injury

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
What do you want to do now?[/quote]

Bigger stronger leaner. My bad should have been more clear.

Are you really doing that volume of lifting AND that volume of cardio, all on 1800-1900 cal/day??!!

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Are you really doing that volume of lifting AND that volume of cardio, all on 1800-1900 cal/day??!![/quote]

That’s what I was thinking. Your Day 1 looks insane…and that’s before cardio! If you are doing it, well done man. Incredible work!

You seem to have undergone a fantastic transformation in a few months, unless I’m mistaken and misinterpreted the post back injury comment.

Do you have any photos where you are 230-235?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Are you really doing that volume of lifting AND that volume of cardio, all on 1800-1900 cal/day??!![/quote]

Started bumping cals up two days ago. Yeah, I’ve been going like this for a while now.

Arms and delts where a major weakpoint when fat, so I made sure they would look good when leaner.

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. Your Day 1 looks insane…and that’s before cardio! If you are doing it, well done man. Incredible work!

You seem to have undergone a fantastic transformation in a few months, unless I’m mistaken and misinterpreted the post back injury comment. [/quote]

yeah I’m a tard. That picture was taken around the end of last summer. I don’t remember the exact weight I was at but That was like 2-3 months after I initially started to get some serious back pain, lost some muscle, gained some fat. Looked even shittier.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:
Do you have any photos where you are 230-235?[/quote]

See fat kid photo of myself for a rough idea, that was a bit after the back injury but I didn’t look that much better beforehand either.

I’m just kind of at a loss. I want to keep/improve my conditioning and look good shirtless this summer after I get a tan, but keeping calories that low was literally killing me. I am crabby all day and had replaced sexual fantasy with peanut butter fantasy. I’ve never “gained” before without getting fat as fuck in the process. I want to maintain/improve my conditioning while upping my calories. I spend 2-3 hours in the gym everyday including lifting, cardio, stretching, foam rolling. I’ve only really taken off days for holidays when the gym is closed. I feel like I’m a prime candidate for a rebound growth phase because I’ve been dieting since last may, but I have no idea how to go about it. I’ve learned a lot about getting lean, but I know nothing about staying lean when not in a deficit. I feel like I’m going to get fat as fuck at 2500-3000 cals/day even with this training volume.

I did all of this while working/going to school and I live on my own without a roommate. A friend is done in the Army now and is moving in with me in May, he was my old training partner in high school. I sleep like 4-6 hours a night during the school year but I’m hoping to get 7-9 hours a night once I’m out of classes.

A lot of big strong ripped guys in this section. Turn me into you.

Re the possibility of a rebound growth phase–I had the same thought. In that regard, have you seen this thread? It deals with that exact topic, and several experienced guys chimed in on it. You might want to take a look at it, maybe bump it if you want those guys to address your situation specifically.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Re the possibility of a rebound growth phase–I had the same thought. In that regard, have you seen this thread? It deals with that exact topic, and several experienced guys chimed in on it. You might want to take a look at it, maybe bump it if you want those guys to address your situation specifically.

I appreciate it. I’m going to bump up to 2200-2300 and see what happens today is:

Breakfast
3oz beef smoked sausage
Broccoli

-Class

-quads/abs/cardio

Lunch:
160z 2% cottage cheese with whey/cinnamon

Dinner:
7-8OZ wild coho salmon
2 cups of spinach

Second dinner
10oz raw chicken tenders
3oz ground almonds
6tablespoons egg whites
1 large zuchinni
1 large yellow squash
1tblspoon olive oil

Puts me at:
2168 calories
61 total carbs
20 grams of fiber (usually higher)
113 fat
229 protein

Carb up is tomorrow and Sunday. Turning 21 on sunday :slight_smile:

Just curious–why are you still doing cardio?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Just curious–why are you still doing cardio?[/quote]

Addicted?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Just curious–why are you still doing cardio?[/quote]

Addicted?[/quote]

A legit point to consider, OP. As an FFG (former fat guy) myself, I know how anxiety-provoking it can be to ramp calories up and/or cardio down, because the last thing on earth you want to see is the re-appearance of any of the fat you worked so hard to lose. But if you want to get bigger and stronger, you may find you have to overcome that anxiety and ramp them both. Again, I think talking to the experienced BBers here on TN is the way to go.

Hey man if I were you, I’d hire a coach right away. I know a few guys who are VERY good who will work with you for a low price. If you dedicate yourself to following their plan, you WILL stay lean and you WILL look better.

For reference, I was dieting on 230p/110c/55f training days, 235p/85c/55f off days for a while. lol. Hired a coach to help me reverse diet and all that jazz, and within 6 weeks I was eating like 220p/400c/55f training, 220p/350c/55f off. Had actually lost 1 lb as well. Just put your faith into someone objective with more knowledge and you’re bound to succeed.

Also, not to sound like your mother but you’re too young to be this crazy! You’re on the verge of disorder man. Seriously. I’ve been where you’re at and it’s not healthy. This hobby is supposed to be life-adding, not life-minimizing. 2-3 hours in the gym daily, crabby all day, no libido. Sounds like you’ve crashed your metabolism and picked up an eating disorder man. I’d highly highly highly recommend hiring a coach and finding someone to talk to (a friend, parent, counselor, psych). Sometimes talking about this stuff WITH A REAL PERSON (not on the internet) takes away its power over you.

Carry on though dude, you look good