What to Do in New York?

Fuck Scores, dont go to NYC for strip joints you will be very dissapointed, go to dirty jersey for the good BYOB skanky slut type places. but you are going with the GF so probably not on your agenda.

Way too broad of a question to answer, but I would say one daily tackle one type of touristy thing, i.e. day 1 do the WTC memorial and check out LES and the east and west village. Find the local cultural enclaves and chomp down on legit food, like Maschy said eat some Dim Sum in chinatown, check out some cannolis and Little Italy and Indian eats in Little Bangladesh.

You can go to the big dip shit I’m better than you clubs or you can go to the plethora of hole in wall bars downtown, which you will have a better time at.

Dont be afraid to venture out of the Tourist Trap epicenter Manhattan, check out the outter boroughs and see how real NYers live. See all of our beautiful city parks, do a bike tour of Governors Island, take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (the only free mode of transportation in NYC).

You can also just pick a famous neighborhood per day and simply explore…probably the best way.

[quote]Christine wrote:

Diviest, smelliest, most disgusting bar in Hell’s Kitchen.

I love it.[/quote]

Thanks Christine … next time the wife and I are in town, we’ll have to stop in there :slight_smile:

We went to some bodega/mexican restaurant that might have been the best mexican food I’ve ever had … I love New York and their random hole in the wall restaurants … hate their baseball team though

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

Diviest, smelliest, most disgusting bar in Hell’s Kitchen.

I love it.[/quote]

Thanks Christine … next time the wife and I are in town, we’ll have to stop in there :slight_smile:

We went to some bodega/mexican restaurant that might have been the best mexican food I’ve ever had … I love New York and their random hole in the wall restaurants … hate their baseball team though[/quote]

Be warned. The drinks are strong, the bartenders are curmudgeonly and the bouncers are obese.

And it smells like fifty years of sweat, puke and cigarette smoke.

But the jukebox is great.

Note: I moved from the right coast about 7 years ago, so I suppose it could have changed, but I doubt it.

Well, considering that in door smoking is prohibited now, it might have

Well, considering that in door smoking is prohibited now, it might have

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Well, considering that in door smoking is prohibited now, it might have[/quote]

And OUTdoor smoking is also banned.

Punch a hooker. They are every where.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Fuck Scores, dont go to NYC for strip joints you will be very dissapointed, go to dirty jersey for the good BYOB skanky slut type places. but you are going with the GF so probably not on your agenda.

Way too broad of a question to answer, but I would say one daily tackle one type of touristy thing, i.e. day 1 do the WTC memorial and check out LES and the east and west village. Find the local cultural enclaves and chomp down on legit food, like Maschy said eat some Dim Sum in chinatown, check out some cannolis and Little Italy and Indian eats in Little Bangladesh.

You can go to the big dip shit I’m better than you clubs or you can go to the plethora of hole in wall bars downtown, which you will have a better time at.

Dont be afraid to venture out of the Tourist Trap epicenter Manhattan, check out the outter boroughs and see how real NYers live. See all of our beautiful city parks, do a bike tour of Governors Island, take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (the only free mode of transportation in NYC).

You can also just pick a famous neighborhood per day and simply explore…probably the best way.

[/quote]

Thanks man, I like the pick a neighborhood idea and explore. The girlfriend is Bi so I think a upperclass stripclub is going to be on the agenda, as well as a dirty one where we can get into some dirty mixin.

[quote]Mascherano wrote:
This is kind of fun for venturing in NYC. They’re supposed to be speak easy style bars. Good cocktails.

If they want a guaranteed table they have to call the reservation line @ exactly 3PM and keep calling because the number is damn busy all the friggin time… or they can just show up pick up the phone inside the telephone booth inside Crif Dogs on St. Marks b/w 1st & A. Dial a number and then wait for the hostess to open the secret door inside the phone booth. Tell her the number in the party and she’ll tell you how long a wait will be…[/quote]

damn, this seems like alot of work just to get into a bar, I have not had to experience that shit before.

[quote]Mascherano wrote:
You should also go eat REAL chinese food in Chinatown - or do Dim Sum at one of the dim sum places off of Pearl.

Also, I don’t want to brag, but we here in NYC have THE BEST sushi in all of the United States of America.

Also, we’re kind of the best, So yeah.[/quote]

I love sushi and pizza, I can already see myself blowing my entire budget on that right there, shit…

Go see Mascherano ASAP.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]jeep69 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
lol @ near brooklyn. Brooklyn is huge. Be more specific. A zip code perhaps. I assume youre staying in downtown brooklyn, close to the city but there are easily 50 gyms in Brooklyn.

Kai Green trains at the 5th avenue gym but that place may have closed down.

[/quote]

lol, I realized that when I put it up, wasnt very specific. I am going there for an interview for medical school so I will be there for a week staying with a friend in downtown Brooklyn, I will get the zip and give a more specific area. stuff to watch out for in relation to high crime areas, etc…

the sightseeing stuff I can look up anywhere, wanted to know specifics from anyone that lives there on what I shouldnt miss out on and especially what parts/areas to avoid/if I go to a club or something. Havent really decided on what to do when I am there.[/quote]

Make sure you have women with you when you go to a club. If you don’t, there are a lot of places you won’t get into.[/quote]

Unless youre talking about places that have $1000 minimums on bottle service, this just isnt true.

edit

nm it’s irrelevant.

OP theres also a lot of stuff to do in brooklyn. Downtown brooklyn is pretty lively. Williamsburg is close by to where youll be. Its full of hipsters but there’s plenty to do there in terms of bars and small restaurants.

As far as a gym goes, do not go to one in manhattan. You’ll likely pay $20 for a day pass. I dont know of any gyms in that part of Bk but if there is one it will definitely be cheaper than manhattan.

Theres an awesome ice cream place right next to the Brooklyn Bridge park. This is in brooklyn. Grimaldi’s pizza is right there too. Its a famous place and pretty good. Dont eat pizza from any random place, most places are terrible.

On my bucket lists of things to do is to catch a fight at Madison Square Garden. I am a boxing fan, so I am biased.

The Cuban side of my family relocated in New Brunswick NJ, and as a child I visited often, Cubans are RABID boxing and baseball fans, and my Aunt took me to see a fight there when I was about 9-10 years old, barely remember it.

I always have wanted to go back.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
-Make sure you spend $8 at basically any connivence store and buy a map that also has the subway lines on it. It will help you getting around.

• Only go to certain places for pizza. There are a lot of shitty pizza joints in Manhattan. Of course, if you’re from out of town you may not be able to tell the difference.

-If you need access to Wifi, go to Burger King -lol. This saved me a few times

-If you’re taking busses to closely located cities, avoid the Peter Pan Bus Lines. I actually had an okay experience in my one trip from NY to Philly, but I’ve heard millions of horror stories. Take Megabus or Boltbus. Also get there early, they overbook busses.

-Ask the cost of a drink before you buy one at a club. I ordered 3 drinks for my sister and her roommates in my first trip to NYC and it cost me $45… all the money I had.

-The WTC site USE to be this open thing where you could go, see the sight, a timeline of what happened and the memorial. Now it’s pretty commercialized but still free. If you want to see it you will have to get a visitors pass or whatever they’re called. They only give out so many in a day so plan ahead and get one early. I think they may be attainable online.

-Not sure if you want to buy clothes while you’re there, but there’s a really good outlet mall 45min away from NYC. There are busses daily to it leaving from the Port Authority. Manhattan will obviously have the best selection, but everything will be full price. Can’t remember what it’s called, but you can contact the port authority.

-Since 9/11 they have taken out luggage lockers from all the train stations and crap, so if you need to store your luggage you will to have to go to a third party. Even then, the third party places close early -11pm.

-People eat late in NY (10pm for dinner), so if you want to avoid the rush and not worry about waiting or reservation go between 6-8pm for dinner at a restaurant.

-While you’re there, do me a favour and go to Wall St. and punch as many protestors in the face as you can for me.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.[/quote]

Worst NY Tourist Advice…EVER!!

Because your gonna be in Downtown Brooklyn, stop by the Williamsburg area. Yeah there are a lot of hipsters out there but, Some damn good Tai restaurants on every corner(the best one is a place called Sea), also great dive bars. There is a surfer bar there called the Surf Bar. The freakin place actually has ankle deep sand covering the entire floor. Really cheap beach food and great beer selection. Try the Brooklyn Brewery stuff (Dogfish Head beer is pretty decent). It’s run by this surfer couple.

If you get tired of the smell of hipsters, your only a quick train ride or cab ride. To LES(Lower East Side Manhattan) There you’ll find a SHIT LOAD of things to do bar’s and bitches all over the place. Plenty of places off of Essex st. If you got an accent that sounds like anything outside of the Tri-State area your in like Flynn. Also Katz Deli is on Houston st.pronounced (House-Stan) street. You will go nuts at the selection of meat and sandwiches they have there.

If you want the swanky $16 a drink experience with some fine ass chicks and you have some decent clothes on. Hipster sheik is whats popping right now. fitted jeans (non-ball hugging) button up shirt loose fitting tie and some sensible shoes. You’ll get in almost anywhere, If you got a chick with you ups your chances even more. Go to the Meat packing district, West side in the 20’s. If money is an issue I would suggest pre-gaming at a dive bar and then heading up to the Meatpacking district.

You wanna do touristy shit? Go to 42nd street in the evening and see how fucking bright and lively it is. Its pretty cool but the prices are fucking nuts and the stores and restaurants there are shit you can eat at anywhere in the 50 States…Fucking only Olive Garden in NYC is located there. Kill yourself if you choose to eat there instead of the 1000’s of authentic Italian restaurants we have here. Empire State, Building Statue of Liberty Etc… but fuck that dude if you only here for a quick weekend save that for a long visit. You wanna hit the ground running and those activities take freakin forever.

One Cliched NY thing i would say you shouldn’t miss is Central Park. Its freakin immense and beautiful this time a year. Oh and riding the train.

That’s NY on a quick weekend. Honestly you really don’t have to leave BK to have fun, but I would suggest checking Manhattan. If you got the balls you can check Harlem too, it’s pretty white folk friendly nowadays… in some areas (assuming you’re white).

[quote]jeep69 wrote:

[quote]Mascherano wrote:
This is kind of fun for venturing in NYC. They’re supposed to be speak easy style bars. Good cocktails.

If they want a guaranteed table they have to call the reservation line @ exactly 3PM and keep calling because the number is damn busy all the friggin time… or they can just show up pick up the phone inside the telephone booth inside Crif Dogs on St. Marks b/w 1st & A. Dial a number and then wait for the hostess to open the secret door inside the phone booth. Tell her the number in the party and she’ll tell you how long a wait will be…[/quote]

damn, this seems like alot of work just to get into a bar, I have not had to experience that shit before.
[/quote]

Lol! Its not that much of trouble, really. But i hear ya. I’m more of a dive bar gal myself. But I’m in Brooklyn, so I rarely venture to the city for nightlife.

Downtown brooklyn has a bunch of places you can hit up - you have Cobble Hill/Carrol Gardens area of Bk right there and they have a lot of restaurants/bars in the hood.

As for gyms - you have a Gold’s on Livingston, YMCA on Atlantic, NYSC on Remsen.

Btw, the promenade is also right there - that’s totally worth checking out. If you’re big into walking I’d do a promenade → brooklyn bridge → china town walk about. I actually do that quite frequently. The bridge is all fucked up and under construction though. Might be better to walk over Manhattan Bridge, which is also pretty close to Dt Bklyn.

Have fun!

I would go to Virgil’s BBQ on 44th and eat brisket and hushpuppies with maple syrup butter…

I miss that place.

[quote]Pootie Tang wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
-Make sure you spend $8 at basically any connivence store and buy a map that also has the subway lines on it. It will help you getting around.

• Only go to certain places for pizza. There are a lot of shitty pizza joints in Manhattan. Of course, if you’re from out of town you may not be able to tell the difference.

-If you’re taking busses to closely located cities, avoid the Peter Pan Bus Lines. I actually had an okay experience in my one trip from NY to Philly, but I’ve heard millions of horror stories. Take Megabus or Boltbus. Also get there early, they overbook busses.

-Ask the cost of a drink before you buy one at a club. I ordered 3 drinks for my sister and her roommates in my first trip to NYC and it cost me $45… all the money I had.

-The WTC site USE to be this open thing where you could go, see the sight, a timeline of what happened and the memorial. Now it’s pretty commercialized but still free. If you want to see it you will have to get a visitors pass or whatever they’re called. They only give out so many in a day so plan ahead and get one early. I think they may be attainable online.

-Not sure if you want to buy clothes while you’re there, but there’s a really good outlet mall 45min away from NYC. There are busses daily to it leaving from the Port Authority. Manhattan will obviously have the best selection, but everything will be full price. Can’t remember what it’s called, but you can contact the port authority.

-Since 9/11 they have taken out luggage lockers from all the train stations and crap, so if you need to store your luggage you will to have to go to a third party. Even then, the third party places close early -11pm.

-People eat late in NY (10pm for dinner), so if you want to avoid the rush and not worry about waiting or reservation go between 6-8pm for dinner at a restaurant.

-While you’re there, do me a favour and go to Wall St. and punch as many protestors in the face as you can for me.

Because your gonna be in Downtown Brooklyn, stop by the Williamsburg area. Yeah there are a lot of hipsters out there but, Some damn good Tai restaurants on every corner(the best one is a place called Sea), also great dive bars. There is a surfer bar there called the Surf Bar. The freakin place actually has ankle deep sand covering the entire floor. Really cheap beach food and great beer selection. Try the Brooklyn Brewery stuff (Dogfish Head beer is pretty decent). It’s run by this surfer couple.

If you get tired of the smell of hipsters, your only a quick train ride or cab ride. To LES(Lower East Side Manhattan) There you’ll find a SHIT LOAD of things to do bar’s and bitches all over the place. Plenty of places off of Essex st. If you got an accent that sounds like anything outside of the Tri-State area your in like Flynn. Also Katz Deli is on Houston st.pronounced (House-Stan) street. You will go nuts at the selection of meat and sandwiches they have there.

If you want the swanky $16 a drink experience with some fine ass chicks and you have some decent clothes on. Hipster sheik is whats popping right now. fitted jeans (non-ball hugging) button up shirt loose fitting tie and some sensible shoes. You’ll get in almost anywhere, If you got a chick with you ups your chances even more. Go to the Meat packing district, West side in the 20’s. If money is an issue I would suggest pre-gaming at a dive bar and then heading up to the Meatpacking district.

You wanna do touristy shit? Go to 42nd street in the evening and see how fucking bright and lively it is. Its pretty cool but the prices are fucking nuts and the stores and restaurants there are shit you can eat at anywhere in the 50 States…Fucking only Olive Garden in NYC is located there. Kill yourself if you choose to eat there instead of the 1000’s of authentic Italian restaurants we have here. Empire State, Building Statue of Liberty Etc… but fuck that dude if you only here for a quick weekend save that for a long visit. You wanna hit the ground running and those activities take freakin forever.

One Cliched NY thing i would say you shouldn’t miss is Central Park. Its freakin immense and beautiful this time a year. Oh and riding the train.

That’s NY on a quick weekend. Honestly you really don’t have to leave BK to have fun, but I would suggest checking Manhattan. If you got the balls you can check Harlem too, it’s pretty white folk friendly nowadays… in some areas (assuming you’re white).

[/quote]

I pretty much concur with all of this - particularly any foray into the LES, its always a good time and yes, bitches be everywhere! (god, i remember when the LES was nothing but pawn shops!)

Williamsburg is so fucking annoying though. I could never tell in good conscious recommend someone go there. lol! But it does have some decent eats.

And yes, Harlem is amazing! Totally recommend you go. On Sunday’s its fun, you can see all the black folk dressed in their sunday best! Its pretty old school and amazing.

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I pretty much concur with all of this - particularly any foray into the LES, its always a good time and yes, bitches be everywhere! (god, i remember when the LES was nothing but pawn shops!)

Williamsburg is so fucking annoying though. I could never tell in good conscious recommend someone go there. lol! But it does have some decent eats.

And yes, Harlem is amazing! Totally recommend you go. On Sunday’s its fun, you can see all the black folk dressed in their sunday best! Its pretty old school and amazing.
[/quote]

Lol I’ve developed a deep hate for some of the Douchbaggery that goes on in Williamburg as well, but the restaurant selection is pretty deep and affordable. But god damn the people there love the smell of there own pretentiousness. It’s a bit sickening but I think were just jaded newyorkers now, and it might be an experience for this newcomer. Plus hipster chicks are pretty easy if you pretend your deep and anti-establishment… Speaking of that check out the Occupy Wall St. stuff. The shit’s damn near a party half the time.

Oh shit I forgot to tell him about Buenos Aires in LES, one of the best steakhouses ive been to and you can get some authentic Argentinian cuisine to boot.

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol I’ve developed a deep hate for some of the Douchbaggery that goes on in Williamburg as well, but the restaurant selection is pretty deep and affordable. But god damn the people there love the smell of there own pretentiousness. It’s a bit sickening but I think were just jaded newyorkers now, and it might be an experience for this newcomer. Plus hipster chicks are pretty easy if you pretend your deep and anti-establishment… Speaking of that check out the Occupy Wall St. stuff. The shit’s damn near a party half the time.

Oh shit I forgot to tell him about Buenos Aires in LES, one of the best steakhouses ive been to and you can get some authentic Argentinian cuisine to boot.

[/quote]

I’ve tried Buenos Aires, its not bad. But if you want a good fucking Argentinian parilla you gotta go to Flushings. Mmm…

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Also, Scores.[/quote]

Avoid Scores unless you just want to spend way too much money. You’re far better off at FlashDancers in Times Square. In fact, NYC is so far down the list of good strip-club cities that I would tell you to avoid them altogether here, unless you just have to do that sort of thing.

Your time and $$$ is far better spent on other things in NY, imo. So many good restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. It all depends on your tastes and economic situation.

DB