What To Do In Colorado Springs?

Hey folks, my family and I will be going to Colorado Springs next week for vacation. Can anyone that lives or has been there give me some ideas on some activities I should check out? Looking for anything fun and family oriented to do there.

Thanks

Hoglover

Edit: Maybe Biotest will grant me a tour while I’m in town. Huh? Huh? Pleeeaasseee…

I’m not sure how old your family is, but Manitou springs just south of colorado springs is a fun little town to get away.

There is a cog railway that takes you up to the 14er pikes peak and serves you lunch. There is an awesome hike called the manitou “incline”, where an old cog railroad use to be. You have a beautiful view of colorado springs, but not something you want to try if the kids are too young.

Basically if you head west on highway 24 there is everything to do. Imitation cliff dwellings and an awesome gift shop, the north pole, dinosaur museum, many hikes, underground guided cave tours, seven falls - a waterfall that changes directions 7 times with great views (an elevator and stairs to the top), a couple more waterfalls, a nature center, you can drive up to the top of pikes peak yourself, and the cheyenne mountain zoo. All this stuff could fill multiple days and is all along highway 24.

You won’t be able to do all these things, but hey springs is great I live 45 minutes south and find myself up there a lot. I guess you could visit Biotest too. Do they give tours?

Have fun, colorado rocks!

http://whitespider.broeking.com/incline.htm

As far as the incline goes, your heart will be pounding and your whole body will be sweating. There is a halfway point where you can circle down through barr trail. We took a 5 and 8 year old to the half way point a couple of weeks ago. I’m going to have to go up without them to do the whole thing. You will see plenty of hot triathletes running up this thing, springs is full of active bunnies!

Thanks for that reply. Those are some great ideas.

I think one day we’re going up to Cheyenne,WY to the Frontier Days rodeo thing. Something my father-in-law has always wanted to do.

Yea, we have a two year old so the only way he’d be going up would be on my back. Hmmm… that’d be a killer workout. My wife recently had back surgery (4 months ago) so I doubt she’d be up for the climb but I think it’d be awesome.

There’s also the Garden of the Gods (almost) in town. It’s really awesome rock formations, you have to see it to believe it. I like the Old Colorado City district too; neat shops and such.

Btw, aren’t those cliff dwellings real? I thought they were an archaeological dig site.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Yea, we have a two year old so the only way he’d be going up would be on my back. Hmmm… that’d be a killer workout. My wife recently had back surgery (4 months ago) so I doubt she’d be up for the climb but I think it’d be awesome.
[/quote]

You can drive up Pikes Peak. but beware altitude sickness. if your son starts crying and acting funny go back down. it really sucks and would be tortuous for a young person unable to communicate how he feels.

Cripple Creek is a nice little town about an hour north of CS. It’s not a very far drive to go pretty much anywhere else in Colorado from the Springs. You should check out what other cities have to offer.

[quote]17Toes wrote:
There’s also the Garden of the Gods (almost) in town. It’s really awesome rock formations, you have to see it to believe it. I like the Old Colorado City district too; neat shops and such.

Btw, aren’t those cliff dwellings real? I thought they were an archaeological dig site.[/quote]

The Garden of the God’s is a pretty cool place.

[quote]17Toes wrote:

Btw, aren’t those cliff dwellings real? I thought they were an archaeological dig site.[/quote]

The Garden of the Gods is a pretty cool place.

Check out the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. I believe it’s the only zoo in the country where you can hand feed giraffes. My kids had a blast.

Garden of the Gods
Pike’s Peak
Air Force Academy
Seven Falls
Manitou Springs
Cripple Creek

Suffice to say that there are more things to do in the area than you can accomplish in a week.

On your way to Cheyenne, take Hwy 34 at Loveland and go through Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park and Rocky Mt. National Park. This time of year you should be able to see some juvenile elk in Estes or at the low end of the park. From Estes, you’re only about 20 minutes from Allenspark which isn’t as well known but has absolutely awesome views of Long’s Peak.

If you don’t want to do that trip there is a much smaller state park in Ft. Collins called Horsetooth Mountain Park that has some nice walking/hiking trails. The park is only about 15 minutes off of I-25. Horsetooth Rock

You could also go check out the Royal Gorge, which is a bit southwest of Co. Springs. It’s a HUGE suspended brige overlooking some great scenery. Worth the trip if you’re not afraid of heights.

Wow you guys… what great suggestions. Thanks so much for everyones input.

Go to South Park. I’ve heard it is a real Colorado town.

Olympic Training Center – I think it’s there

Also, you MUST starve yourself (and your family) then take them to Furr’s