T Nation

What to Do First?

I am coming back to training after a very long layoff (many years). No excuses, I got fat and lazy. I am wondering if I should jump into calorie cutting mode, or if simply cleaning up my eating and keeping cals close to mainenance would help to lose fat. I have very little muscle at this time.

Should I focus on getting strong on big lifts? I know that it may be hard to gain strength while cutting cals and doing HIIT cardio. Any advice would be appreciated.

It depends on your goals. Do you want to just lose the weight as quickly as possible? Or do you want to gain some strength and lose the fat slower?

[quote]jx_alain wrote:
I am coming back to training after a very long layoff (many years). No excuses, I got fat and lazy. I am wondering if I should jump into calorie cutting mode, or if simply cleaning up my eating and keeping cals close to mainenance would help to lose fat. I have very little muscle at this time.

Should I focus on getting strong on big lifts? I know that it may be hard to gain strength while cutting cals and doing HIIT cardio. Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

I’d insist on just cleaning up your diet real good and eating close to maintenance. Doing a proven upper/lower split like Westside for Skinny Bastards with added GPP/cardio/barbell complexes when possible.

Or Staley’s EDT is also a good option.

The way I see it your metabolism is probably kind of fucked as it is. So eating nice and clean but not overly cutting calories should give you a much needed boost to your metabolism.

Just stop being a lazy fuck and get to it. =)

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
It depends on your goals. Do you want to just lose the weight as quickly as possible? Or do you want to gain some strength and lose the fat slower?[/quote]

I want to lose fat as quickly as possible, but since I don’t currently have a whole lot of muscle extreme fat loss probably wouldn’t be that useful. I’ve read on many posts (and I agree) that you can’t flex bone (or fat for that matter).

And Carlitosway, you’ve got it right my friend; i’ve decided to stop being a lazy fuck :wink: it’s off to the gym. Thanks.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
jx_alain wrote:

Should I focus on getting strong on big lifts? I know that it may be hard to gain strength while cutting cals and doing HIIT cardio. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’d insist on just cleaning up your diet real good and eating close to maintenance. Doing a proven upper/lower split like Westside for Skinny Bastards with added GPP/cardio/barbell complexes when possible.

Or Staley’s EDT is also a good option.

The way I see it your metabolism is probably kind of fucked as it is. So eating nice and clean but not overly cutting calories should give you a much needed boost to your metabolism.

Just stop being a lazy fuck and get to it. =)
[/quote]

Agreed with this. Clean up your diet but don’t cut calories much. Focus on lifting for a bit with your new diet. Then decide. You need to work boosting your metabolism and a hard diet isn’t going to speed it up, it’s going to slow it down. At the same time you can’t exactly get into “bulk” mode either because your nutrient partitioning is screwed up.

id say clean up you diet but dont do the calories thing yet.

you properly have alot of muscle to gain if you have trained in a looong time ? so let it grow it will melt of the fat for you later.

And i dont know many people who started to train after doing nothing that didnt have some change in body composition. Even my old dad gets it every summer he just start to cycle to and from work and even though he still eats what he like hes stocmach shrinks…