T Nation

What to Do After 1 Cycle of Building the Monolith?

I’m about to finish my first cycle of 5/3/1 building the monolith (next week is week 6) and I’m trying to figure out what to do next. I’ve been scouring this blog for suggestions, however everything I read is written in a lingo that I simply cannot understand (i.e. leader cycles vs. anchor, etc etc). I’m looking to up my max lifts, put on some muscle and improve my strength (as everyone on this blog wants to do). Can someone please explain to me in very simple terms what I should do next? Thank you!

What do you want to do next?

Leader - accumulation, building the lifts
Anchor - realization, testing the lifts (max technically sound reps at a given weight, a 1,2,3 rep max, etc.)

Though the BTM is a program in itself, I also think of it as a(n) leader/accumulation cycle. Like the other accumulation blocks, it has high supplemental volume - widowmakers, boring but strong, 5x5/3/1, and only 1 pr movement.

When I ran it, I followed it up with 2 cycles of “young Jim Wendler,” pick what goes along with your goals, whatever they are.

Buy the books. It’ll be well worth it. 531 Forever will give you all the info you need for a lifetime of productive training, provided you’re familiar with the basics of 531.

Thanks for your response. I have a few questions. First, what do you mean when you say BTM is a program in itself? To my understanding BTM lasts 6 weeks. I was under the impression that the 6 weeks is the program? Also, I’m still a bit confused with the leader anchor terminology. By accumulation do you mean progressively increasing the weight? What does realization mean? Would you mind explaining further?

I don’t really have much time to read all of the 5/3/1 book, as much as I would love to. I was hoping that by posting here I could have someone tell me what to do next.

It is, I just mean you can make it a part of something larger - a piece of the puzzle so to speak.

I don’t want to get too far out of my depth, but with this sort of periodization, more Western-style periodization, you work for a stretch of time, say a month or two, prioritizing certain qualities - this could be maximal strength, hypertropy, etc.

These “blocks” build upon each other. As an example, being bigger allows one to produce more force, ie be stronger. So very often you’ll see a block focused more on hypertrophy to build more muscle, and then the next block you try to use what you’ve built. This is a huge topic, and I won’t do you the disservice by trying to explain it all in a little post.

So essentially with 531 and many other western-styled systems, you spend time doing what you need to do to build-up your lifts, and then spend a little time using what you’ve built.

That’s a shitty attitude to have. "My time is more important than yours, please do everything for me"
If you actually have the book, which is doubtful at best. Than you would have all the answers you need. Buy the book, read the book. Why the hell would anyone help you when a. Your perspective sucks and b. I bought and read the book which explains the info you’re looking for. Why would I share that for free when it’s not my work?
Go figure it out

x2. if you;d even dipped in the book for 10 mins could find loads of templates ready to go

Thanks for your response

_AND__Mr Wendler took the time and effort to make sense of all this and write it out in his series of books, he deserves the $$$ for the book.

Didn’t catch this part. We’ve all got busy lives dude, read the book.

So which one should I read. I’m on his website and there’s a bunch.

Unless you have a solid understanding about the principles that make up 5/3/1 you should start with either the Original or Beyond books otherwise Forever probably won’t make a whole lot of sense. I really can’t stress how important it is to actually read what Jim has written in order to totally grasp what 5/3/1 is about. It’s your call if you don’t want to purchase any of the books but I think you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t.