What to Always Buy Organic?

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Everyone should try to eat organic, not eating organic has long lasting detrimental effects on your health.

I like to make sure whatever meat I’m eating has been fed on organic foods, vegetables etc are all important also.[/quote]

bullshit

I buy organic eggs and milk since it’s the only thing I can get around here without completely obliterating my budget.

Dunno about the other stuff, but I used to think that eggs are eggs and milk is milk. However, the taste is so different that you really start thinking, wtf were they doing before?

Even if there are no health benefits, at least I can enjoy the improved taste.

[quote]Evilmage wrote:
I buy organic eggs and milk since it’s the only thing I can get around here without completely obliterating my budget.

Dunno about the other stuff, but I used to think that eggs are eggs and milk is milk. However, the taste is so different that you really start thinking, wtf were they doing before?

Even if there are no health benefits, at least I can enjoy the improved taste.[/quote]

Why can’t everyone adopt this mentality?

I would never get involved in these discussions if people were just honest like this.

If you like the taste of organic stuff better - then that’s all that really matters.

I prefer eating homegrown tomatoes. I can founder on them. But I am not going to vilify the commercial tomato growers in a lame attempt to validate my personal preference.

my wife and i grow stuff out of 2 and 5 gallon buckets. right now we have 4 different types of mellons, a couple different tomato plants, peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc.

Bucket method works pretty well, easy and efficient to water, no weed issues, easy to contain aggressive plants, and lets you take stuff inside when it gets too cold. Also lets you start them early. this year we are trying an upside down garden so we will see how that goes.

Koffea - that is a brilliant idea. I’ve been trying to think of a way that I can grow some of my own produce in an apartment as I live right by my campus and obviously have no room for any type of a garden. Let me know how the hanging garden works out - I’ve seen some ads for them but haven’t had a chance to check them out.

Rainjack -
has made some good points allot of the food that is marketed as organic-
is hard to prove "real “: health " benefits”
certified or not

that being said Strawberries should not weigh 4 ounces.
wild fish will not have color added, like farmed fish.

If you travel to europe the food tastes better,eggs
cheeses fruits vegetables. For the most part they are organic.
and raised with less pesticides or just processing in general
most american made cheeses taste like crap
( I don’t mean kraft singles either)

I try to do organic/wild caught fish, eggs, dairy. Fruits and Vegetables.
I do it for taste- the foods taste better. Yes I do organic coffee,
but that has more to do with free trade, and yes taste.
I really notice it in eggs- fruits - like a tomato and wild vs farm raised fish.

I live in a big city- availability is not an issue,

kmc

[quote]rainjack wrote:
darsemnos wrote:
If you want to buy grassfed animal products, go here:

Grass fed animal products have more omega-3’s so by that measure alone, they are better. Anyway, livestock don’t naturally eat grains (corn). So grass-fed livestock will be healthier, and we reap the benefits.

Do you own livestock? Where is your source for saying livestock don’t naturally eat grain?

It is statements like yours that make my head hurt. [/quote]

Heres the thing, if cows are fed grains, typically they will end up with higher levels of o6-o3 ratios. Cows fed grass typically are the exact opposite with higher levels of o3-o6 ratios, which is what you want.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
I don’t think it was that article, I hate to say it but I think it was one of those headline news articles that pop up on my desktop.

With all the chemical junk, I actually don’t mind being on a pretty boring diet. I grow a lot of vegetables, I don’t eat pork, I do like butter though, and have a serious coffee addiction.

I don’t want to buy too much into the hype of stuff, like Rainjack said, how can you really guarantee what you are getting? But I figure I will do better with what I can.
[/quote]

I hear you on not wanting to buy too much into the hype - I’m a college student, so I can’t necessarily afford to.

That being said, I am also a huge coffee junkie, and Poliquin’s comment about it being one of the most chemically laden foods just stuck in my head.

For the time being, I’m at the mercy of the campus DD and dining hall sludge. But, with summer just around the corner, I’ll probably give the Newhall brews a shot.

What are the supposed health benefits of organic food? Why is it better?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Evilmage wrote:

I would never get involved in these discussions if people were just honest like this.

If you like the taste of organic stuff better - then that’s all that really matters.

I prefer eating homegrown tomatoes. I can founder on them. But I am not going to vilify the commercial tomato growers in a lame attempt to validate my personal preference.

[/quote]

Isn’t there something to be said for the truth? Corn is not a cow food. They just happen to eat it if they’re given it. It’s not about vilifying anything. Just stating the fact that cows should eat grass, not corn, or stale/moldy bread, and that doing things a little more naturally is healthier.

Some of the giant agricultural companies probably deserve some vilification anyway.

What is Koffea?

I go to Carlsbad and pick the strawberries there when they are in season. Now… just because I pick them doesn’t make them magic, I know, but they sure taste good. Also they are red all the way through, not red and then whitish on the inside.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
rainjack wrote:
darsemnos wrote:
If you want to buy grassfed animal products, go here:

Grass fed animal products have more omega-3’s so by that measure alone, they are better. Anyway, livestock don’t naturally eat grains (corn). So grass-fed livestock will be healthier, and we reap the benefits.

Do you own livestock? Where is your source for saying livestock don’t naturally eat grain?

It is statements like yours that make my head hurt.

Heres the thing, if cows are fed grains, typically they will end up with higher levels of o6-o3 ratios. Cows fed grass typically are the exact opposite with higher levels of o3-o6 ratios, which is what you want.[/quote]

I eat meat - particularly beef - for protein. If I want healthy fats - I take fish oil.

I trim all the fat off my steaks, and only use 93/7 ground beef.

Why should I care about the quality of fat I am throwing in the trash can?

[quote]darsemnos wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Evilmage wrote:

Isn’t there something to be said for the truth? Corn is not a cow food. They just happen to eat it if they’re given it. It’s not about vilifying anything. Just stating the fact that cows should eat grass, not corn, or stale/moldy bread, and that doing things a little more naturally is healthier.

Some of the giant agricultural companies probably deserve some vilification anyway. [/quote]

Who the fuck feeds cattle stale moldy bread? All cattle eat grass - even the evil corn fed ones. What in the hell are you even saying?

Please. Until you have a clue about what you are talking about, just don’t say anything on this subject. Eat what you want - but don’t come in here and attempt to tell me what the hell cattle are eating when you don’t have a damn clue yourself.

Koffea is a user from the first page - I was commenting about his post

[quote]GVkid wrote:
Koffea is a user from the first page - I was commenting about his post[/quote]

whoooops!!!

my bad! thanks

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
What are the supposed health benefits of organic food? Why is it better?[/quote]

why must the burden of proof lie on organic, rather than conventional?

I don’t buy a lot of organic fruit, but I will say think about all the chemicals sprayed on fruit/veggies, and if you eat a lot it can add up.

All my red meat and pork is organic or from very small farms that might as well be organic. I do this as much to avoid meat from brutally inhumane factory farms as I do to avoid the antibiotics and hormones animals get.

Most, but not all of my produce is organic because IMHO, it adds flavor and variety. I can’t tell you how many conventional apples I’ve had that tasted like cardboard, so now I just stay away from them.

And any chance I get to drink a biodynamic wine, I do. For those of you who have never tried one, go out to Sonoma and try some of the goodies Benziger is producing.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
What are the supposed health benefits of organic food? Why is it better?

why must the burden of proof lie on organic, rather than conventional?

I don’t buy a lot of organic fruit, but I will say think about all the chemicals sprayed on fruit/veggies, and if you eat a lot it can add up.

[/quote]

The organic food movement is the one making the charge that it is healthier than conventional. They are the ones saying that conventional food is unhealthy, and dangerous.

The one’s making the claim have the burden of proof - not the one being accused.

[quote]supabeast wrote:
All my red meat and pork is organic or from very small farms that might as well be organic. I do this as much to avoid meat from brutally inhumane factory farms as I do to avoid the antibiotics and hormones animals get.
[/quote]

More propaganda. You know that they kill animals to provide your meat, right? Please explain the humanity in that.

Do you guys never tire of perpetuating the lies?

Please show some proof of “brutally inhumane factory farms”. Specifically wrt to beef.

Go ahead - I’ll wait. And, FYI - PETA vids are no proof of anything.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
supabeast wrote:

More propaganda. You know that they kill animals to provide your meat, right? Please explain the humanity in that.

Do you guys never tire of perpetuating the lies?

Please show some proof of “brutally inhumane factory farms”. Specifically wrt to beef.

Go ahead - I’ll wait. And, FYI - PETA vids are no proof of anything. [/quote]

Not to mention that “free range” usually means that the animals are given a few minutes a day (weather permitting) to “roam” in a very small area. Fact of the matter is, however, the animals usually choose to just stay inside.

If you’re going to be concerned about factory farms, you should be concerned about the methane production that contributes more to global warming than the automotive industry, as well as the waste runoff into local streams and rivers. Not to mention that these “farms” get special treatment for being called “farms” when they are nothing like real farms.

I buy mostly organic produce because it’s really not that much more expensive and I think it tastes better. I buy “regular” meat because, like RJ mentioned, I eat lean meats and take fish oil, so who the fuck really cares about the fat profile. I shop at Whole Foods because they support renewable energy sources, raise awareness about environmental issues and because their stores are clean.

Im more concerned with eating local than organic.

I no longer know what organic means. i live in the northeast now (as opposed to the southeast), so i find myself having a harder time eating local in the winter, but im working on it