What Time to Sleep?

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:

[quote]MementoMori wrote:
I sleep from 5 am till 1 pm most nights. Dont recommend it.[/quote]

That is still 8 hours, why don’t you recommend it?
[/quote]
I’ve done this before… I just feel sluggish, regardless of the amount of sleep I had. It probably has to do with your body being regulated by the sun, which affects melatonin levels and a host of hormones. I would rather get 7 hours and wake up at a decent time instead of 8 hours and wake up in the afternoon.

Brother Chris that’s a great quote dude, if it’s not a quote it should be. [/quote]

It’s actually a Chinese proverb, “No one who can rise before dawn 360 days a year fails to make his family rich.”

Right now I try to go to bed around 10pm, because I have to be up at 5 for my workout. However, I am going to try going to bed around 6 or 7pm, and then waking up naturally the next morning. I will do all my house cleaning and cooking early in the morning as opposed to at night.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it? What time do you guys feel is the best time to sleep?[/quote]

Your idea seems okay - but what if you sleep 7 hours and wake up at 2am everyday (do your chores etc). I guess it can be done, but you’d be completely different from most other people. That maybe okay with you but I’m sure that would affect you in a social interaction sense?

I think waking up naturally is a great thing (i.e. without alarm etc). I do that now but only struggle when I have a very tiring previous day or I am dehydrated and inebriated due to alcohol (which hardly happens now ever).

I’m happy with 7 hours each night can’t really say I want more or less. Make sure you do other things to give you a more restful sleep - darken the room, no artificial light, mobile phones far away, Magnesium supplement etc.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]
I’ve done this before… I just feel sluggish, regardless of the amount of sleep I had. It probably has to do with your body being regulated by the sun, which affects melatonin levels and a host of hormones. I would rather get 7 hours and wake up at a decent time instead of 8 hours and wake up in the afternoon.

Brother Chris that’s a great quote dude, if it’s not a quote it should be. [/quote]

Just on melatonin* - any thoughts on why people (okay people like me) feel tired (and sleepy) around 2pm? I’m not eating a high carbohydrate lunch anymore (mostly protein and vegetables now). Is it natural? Anything I can do to stop feeling tired at this time of the day? I’m not a caffeine drinker at all, I only drink Green Tea (which has a low caffeine measurement). All advice on this one is appreciated.

*I read a Men’s Health article where it talked about the connection between feeling sleepy around 2pm and melatonin.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]

I have found similar results with going to bed/getting up late. I just don’t feeling like doing anything the rest of the day. But i could never figure out why.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

Right now I try to go to bed around 10pm, because I have to be up at 5 for my workout. However, I am going to try going to bed around 6 or 7pm, and then waking up naturally the next morning. I will do all my house cleaning and cooking early in the morning as opposed to at night.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it? What time do you guys feel is the best time to sleep?[/quote]

Your idea seems okay - but what if you sleep 7 hours and wake up at 2am everyday (do your chores etc). I guess it can be done, but you’d be completely different from most other people. That maybe okay with you but I’m sure that would affect you in a social interaction sense?

I think waking up naturally is a great thing (i.e. without alarm etc). I do that now but only struggle when I have a very tiring previous day or I am dehydrated and inebriated due to alcohol (which hardly happens now ever).

I’m happy with 7 hours each night can’t really say I want more or less. Make sure you do other things to give you a more restful sleep - darken the room, no artificial light, mobile phones far away, Magnesium supplement etc.
[/quote]

Yes, the aspect of having a different schedule than other people would be tough on the social life, but I am hoping that by sleeping my full quota during the week, that by the time the weekend rolls around, I could switch to a 11pm to 730-8am schedule without too much of a negative repercussion.

I use my mobile phone as a white noise machine (it has an app for that) which helps me get to bed and not be distracted by outside city noise.

I got to bed a little before 8:30 last night. I was tired around 6, so Iron Dwarf, you were correct, I should have just gone to bed right when i got home, but I wanted one last meal before bed. I got up at 4:30am this morning and did an hour of house cleaning before the gym. I still had to use an alarm this morning, but now, which is 5 hours after waking up, I feel great and very accomplished this morning. I am going to try for 7:30pm bed time today.

During the week, I don’t go out and socialize, that is all reserved for the weekends. So i am not not worried about missing out of stuff during the week by going to bed early.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]

I have found similar results with going to bed/getting up late. I just don’t feeling like doing anything the rest of the day. But i could never figure out why.[/quote]

Seasonal depression. People who get the “winter blues” will have them 365 days a year working non-days.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]

Just on melatonin* - any thoughts on why people (okay people like me) feel tired (and sleepy) around 2pm? I’m not eating a high carbohydrate lunch anymore (mostly protein and vegetables now). Is it natural? Anything I can do to stop feeling tired at this time of the day? I’m not a caffeine drinker at all, I only drink Green Tea (which has a low caffeine measurement). All advice on this one is appreciated.

*I read a Men’s Health article where it talked about the connection between feeling sleepy around 2pm and melatonin.[/quote]

Are you eating a turkey sandwich?