What the HELL??!!

I’m planning on starting this Massive Eating Reloaded diet by JB. But first I have adopted his “7 habits” (dunno what that article is called).
Guess what?? I have actually lost 2.2 lbs. juss making that change. Now, I’m damn skinny (130lbs at 5’8) i sthis weightloss has me damn upset. What if I start this diet and lose even more weight?? Could somebody please point out what I might be doing wrong??

Current Diet:

Breakfast:

4 small wholeweat toasts
1 cup milk
1 serving cottage cheese
1 glass orange juice

PostWorkout

Energy Drink (ie. 500ml Gatorade, Aquarius, etc.)

Lunch

200g meat (beef, fish or chicken)
1 bowl cereal (rice, potato, wholeweat tortillas or pasta)
1 bowl veggies
1 piece fruit

Snack

1 bowl pasta*
1 can tuna*
2 spoons olive oil*
1 spoon cider vinegar*
half tomato*

*(all mixed into a salad)

Dinner

(same as lunch but different carb, veggie and protein choices)

Thanx for any advice/comments/critiques/suggestions in advance.

I’m no expert, but you should definately eat more, this seems a bit on the lesser side.

You could also use more meals, about the same size as your current three, but maybe 4-6.

You should take a whole meal with proteins and carbs after your workout. You don’t just need energy from a gatorade, proteins are more important.

If you are losing/not gaining weight, the solution is ALWAYS eating MORE! The eat big to get big philosophy.

To the above poster, thanx for the info. Shall try and include atleast one more meal of the same size as the current ones (appetite is my weak point- i get full darn fast!!).
I’m just bumping this topic to see if I get anymore feedback.

chiragh:

After looking at a LOT of diets and nutrition programs, there is a common mistake that I often see…

A diet may be “clean” (no junk foods. lean meats, etc.), but not “adquate” (i.e. adquate to reach ones goals).

Just “eyeballing” your diet, it is definitely “clean”…but most likely inadequate in calories, protein, and as has been pointed out, frequency (which supports anabolism).

“No Nonsense” is a GREAT start! Now I would carefully review JB’s Massive Eating Protocols (which you’ve started) and start a) crunching some numbers and b)KEEP A METICULOUS FOOD LOG!

You’ve got the fire AND you seem right on track!

GOOD LUCK!

Mufasa

Muppet got it right. K/cals in VS. K/Cals out.

Also while the best way and most productive in my opinion. A CLEAN BULK like you are doing will have you eating even more. Add in a couple more meals.

Try for some dense things. Oats and grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, even Rice. (It’ll fill you up but you will be hungry again in no time)GOOD fat sources are an EASY way to get the #'s up as well. From what I can remember your seemed a little short on fat intake as is. Nuts, coconut, meats, flax, fish oil, avacado, olives, etc…

Drink some of your K/Cals also. Get some Grow! and/or Milk.

Also, as suggested, you really need to optimize that PWO period with something like Surge. You need the protein to go along with those carbs. It’ll add some easy k/cals also.

If you are bulking and losing you need to eat more. Just keep making an effort to eat more everyday and you will get used to it.

Hope that helps,
Phill

I agree.

You Need to EAT MORE!!!
Also, consume most of your carbs at breakfast, workout and post-workout drinks/meals. At the other time, EAT MORE. more meats, more good fats (like berardi’s advice - 30% saturated, 30% monounsaturated, 30% polyunsaturated), more beans, more fruits and vegetables, -some- dairy, GROW! etc… try to eat clean and healthy as possible but eat more. that’s all.

You’ll be lean, mean and muscular.

Great advice so far.

Personally I think that the most important thing you can do is to start keeping a detailed food log. While you seem to be recording WHAT you are eating, the exact quantities are missing (a bowl is not an exact quantity).

I like to set up a food log with several columns.

From Left to Right:
Food
Quantity
Calories
Protein
Carbs
Fat (I don’t get to particular about the type, but I do consume a lot of OMEGA 3’s)

At the end of the day you should know exactly what you ate and how much of each item. You should also have totals for each column. Ultimately, if you are losing weight (weigh yourself once per week on the same day ONLY) you need to get the numbers in the calorie column UP. In your case you could easily increase your protein intake as well as fat intake (I think Phill has some good ideas for fats). Beans are also a great way to add calories. Each week if you are losing/maintaining you can add more (100 to 200 cals per day) depending on your metabolism.

As for specifics, drop the OJ and eat some fruit instead of the drink. Read “Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle” by John Berardi. Then make some drastic changes to that PWO shake. You need some protein in there.

I’d also add some beans as mentioned before to add kcals. Add a 6th meal as well.

Hope that helps.

[quote]fast&furious wrote:
I agree.

You Need to EAT MORE!!!
Also, consume most of your carbs at breakfast, workout and post-workout drinks/meals. At the other time, EAT MORE. more meats, more good fats (like berardi’s advice - 30% saturated, 30% monounsaturated, 30% polyunsaturated), more beans, more fruits and vegetables, -some- dairy, GROW! etc… try to eat clean and healthy as possible but eat more. that’s all.

You’ll be lean, mean and muscular.[/quote]

Do you guys ACTUALLY calculate the proportion/ratio of each kinda fat while eating?? Man, looks like you all must be on a daily maths & science project!! (joking)
Seriously, if getting bigger means spending so much time with a calculator and a food log, I wonder how those dumbass club bouncers have attained so much size. Well, I guess steroids must be doing the trick there… LOL

[quote]chiragch wrote:

Do you guys ACTUALLY calculate the proportion/ratio of each kinda fat while eating?? [/quote]

I don’t and most of the larger guys you see, aside from some competitors, don’t either. I eat enough to gain weight…period. The only time I calculate how much protein I am taking in and get concerned about specific amounts of macronutrients is when I am DIETING. I do try to get most of my food centered around protein sources (which could mean getting a triple whopper with no mayonnaise and asking them to drain the grease off first). Those who are extremely methodical about every gram of food very rarely make more gains than those who simply make eating a regular part of their day to compensate for their genetics. I stay away from crap like cookies and cakes. I haven’t had french fries in months but won’t hesitate to get a hamburger or the occasional pizza. I don’t see how anyone could expect to make large changes in muscle growth without doing that. It is about 3pm and I have already eaten 6 eggs, about a pound of beef, and about 65gr of protein in the form of a protein shake. I still have about 2-3 more meals to go. If the weight on the scale is not increasing, you are not eating enough. If you start gaining more fat than muscle tissue (something you should not be overly concerned about when gaining), that means decrease your carbs and/or overall caloric intake. The difference is, while I may not calculate every gram that I eat, I have the knowledge to do so if I wanted to.

Thanx for dat great piece of advice Professor X.

BTW, isn’t that triple whopper without mayo and the grease drained totally off, a bit too dry to digest?? LOL

Man I see u eat a heck of a lot of protein. Any tips suggestions on how to digest and assimilate all those massive amounts you are consuming??

Greetings…just my thoughts but you should consider trying to drink more of your calories. When dieting, solid foods are a must due to their thermic properties…but when trying to gain mass…drinking your calories is the way to go…2 to 3 high calorie shakes a day will really make difference!
A typical shake could be milk or yogurt or protein powder plus a few tablespoons of oil plus fruit plus peanut butter plus oatmeal. Add some honey for more calories…good luck with your efforts…

Bumping the topic once again for Professor X to add another of his 2 cents, hehe.

[quote]chiragch wrote:

Man I see u eat a heck of a lot of protein. Any tips suggestions on how to digest and assimilate all those massive amounts you are consuming??[/quote]

Your body adjusts over time. I weigh over 260lbs at the moment. I am just holding that weight and don’t plan on truly dieting until around Christmas (and that is just to get my abs to show a little, not going for all out “ripped”). That info is just to let you know that one, I am not currently worried about my body fat percentage, and two, that it took years for me to get to this size and for my body to even need that many calories. There is no way that I could have eaten like I do now back when I weighed under 200lbs. I just ate breakfast at about 7am (6 whole eggs/toast). It is currently about 8am and I am serious when I say that I am beginning to get hungry again. The next thing I get down will be a protein shake. My metabolism has always been fast like that so it always took a large amount of calories for me to gain weight. All that means is that, for you, yes, a triple Whopper might be too much for you to ingest in one sitting. For me, I can knock out three of those in a day along with everything else if my goal is to gain weight.

Bottom line, you don’t jump from 2 meals a day to 6. You start at 3, then 4 an so on. Over time, in terms of YEARS, your body will adjust along with the size you gain. Don’t ever try to eat just like someone who outweighs you by 100lbs unless your body actually needs that much food (which is doubtful). There was a time a couple of years ago when you would read on this board bout some 160lbs kid trying to get down over 400gr of protein a day because he read that some professional bodybuilder was doing that. That is simply retarded.

Gotta say I am in total agreement with most of what Professor X has laid out for you. Only thing I vary on is I am a big fan of a clean bulk with the exception of one cheat a week. I am just anal that way I guess.

But that is a moot point and doesnt really matter much in the long run. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Like he and others have stated just make it a point to try and eat more each day than you did the previous day until you are putting on weight.

4 many people I have seen they do have to keep a log ( I do) to make sure you are getting enough/forcing enough down. You may think you are eatin BIG. But will get a reality check when you actually write it down.

Just my 2cc. Eat, adapt, and GROW!

Phill

Thanx for all that info. BTW, when downing so much protein and in such dry manners (as in “triple whopper without mayo and all the grease taken out”), dont u guys have trouble with digestion. i’m talking about bloatedness, nausea, constipation, etc…
I find very high protein diets to be darn troublesome for my digestive system. Any way to get around this?? (any advice BESIDES adding more fruits/veggies/fiber to my diet which I already do).

[quote]chiragch wrote:
Thanx for all that info. BTW, when downing so much protein and in such dry manners (as in “triple whopper without mayo and all the grease taken out”), dont u guys have trouble with digestion. i’m talking about bloatedness, nausea, constipation, etc…
I find very high protein diets to be darn troublesome for my digestive system. Any way to get around this?? (any advice BESIDES adding more fruits/veggies/fiber to my diet which I already do).[/quote]

Get used to it. Eating a large amount of protein, and a large quantity of “clean” food will always cause gas and some of the deadliest farts ever. However, Whoppers and other crap food will definitely lead to bloating and other digestion problems due to the high sodium and the fact that it’s not “clean” food.

For those of us who do eat clean, we still experience those things from time to time depending on what we consume.

Thanx Nate Dogg,
you’ve just answered one of my most troublesome doubts. LOL, and I thought I was the only one to experience gas and/or constipation when on these kinda bodybuilding/clean diets.
Guess I’m not alone afterall, hehe…

Normally I’m in total agreement with Professor X. He is correct that many big guys don’t keep a log when they are bulking. However, in your case, you seem to THINK that you are consuming a lot when, in fact, you are not. A food log is a good way to make sure you’re getting enough food in. If nothing else I would record the number of calories you are consuming so you know for sure that you’re getting what you need to grow.

Also, don’t forget the fact that while eating a couple burgers (even with the fat drained off) on a regular basis is not really optimal for health. No point in being BIG when you’re laid up in a hospital at 40 with congestive heart failure. Don’t take it as though I’m perfect. I eat burgers sometimes too, just be aware of the potential risks of your actions.

[quote]chiragch wrote:
I thought I was the only one to experience gas and/or constipation…[/quote]

Gas. Yes. Constipation. No. I’ve never had that problem, and if you’re getting enough fruit, veggies and certain other carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta), you shouldn’t experience that either. So something is missing in your diet.

Usually, it’s the ultra-low carb diets that cause that to happen. So since you’re trying to gain and should be eating a ton, you should be getting plenty of fiber through the aforementioned food sources. If not, you should reevaluate the diet.

Nate Dogg,

I guess you are rite over there. I’m positive that I’m constipated by either one of the two reasons:

a) I’m not eating enough for my body to release anything

b) I’m exercising and burning much more than what I’m eating (cals in < cals out). So my body really doesn’t have much to release anyways since its burning everything I am eating…

So basically I may not be gaining weight (actually sometimes even losing weight) due to one of those two possiblities…
This may also explain the reason to my constipation, as it is one of the first symptoms that ppl experience when they are not eating enough to match their energy expenditure.
Please correct/advise me if I’m wrong.

Thanx