What the Hell is Wrong with Me?

Hey guys, thought I’d throw this out in case anyone on here has had experience with this before or is more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff than me. I noticed recently (after never really paying attention to it before) that when I’m just standing around, my left foot is slightly forward, turned out, and to the side than my right foot. This is when my weight is about as evenly dispersed over both feet as I can get it. Also noticed that I landed in this position after doing some pull-ups.

Here’s what I’m thinking, but feel free to correct me if I’m off base:
Either 1.) My left leg is longer than my right by a substantial margin, 2.) I’ve got some form of pelvic dysfunction (fucked up SI joint maybe?), or 3.) Some form of muscle imbalance (maybe where the external rotators on my left side are more active than those on the right).

To this point, since noticing it, I’ve been making a conscious effort to keep my feet evenly forward, wide, and turned out. I’ve incorporated this into my lifts (i.e. changing squat and dead stance so that my feet are now even). I’ve also added more glute activation type stuff, thinking that might help. I’ve noticed I’m more comfortable in my new “even” foot position, but if I don’t make a conscious effort, I default to left leg forward, turned out, and to the side.

Sorry for the long post. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks boys. Much appreciated.

J

Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill. No one has two legs exactly the same length. Or two feet which point exactly the same direction. Worrying about it will just make things worse.

I have that kind of shit too, I never knew how to fix it so I never did LOL.

Do you get shin splints too? I get them something intense, I don’t know if it has anything to do with that or if I just walk like a penguin.

I have that too, just make sure you set-up your squat like that. I always turn my left foot out slightly more than my right. No worries.

OP, is one of your legs dominant to the other? Just asking out of curiosity.

[quote]sapasion wrote:
Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill. No one has two legs exactly the same length. Or two feet which point exactly the same direction. Worrying about it will just make things worse. [/quote]

I would agree with this advice. I don’t know if I always had it, but recently I have noticed that my right foot usually plants a little ahead of my left. It may be due to the knee surgery I had a couple years back and I am just now noticing or it may be due to any of the same ideas the OP listed.

It doesn’t really bother me, and it definitely doesn’t hamper my lifting/mobility/etc. in any noticeable way. Though, I do make the conscious effort of getting my feet “equal” when doing deads, squats, or something else where the feet are planted like that.

Right on. Like I said, I just thought I’d throw it out there. It doesn’t keep me up at night, just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this sort of thing. Thanks for all the posts.

J

both of my feet point different ways when I stand normally too.

hell, i can put my right foot 180degrees around while my left only gets to about 100degrees