What the Hell Does 'Ramp' Mean?

Friday (Intensity)
Squat - ramp to max set of 3 or 5
Bench - ramp to max triple
Deadlift - ramp to max single, double or triple

i have no idea what to do here? ramp as in, build up to a one rep kinda deal? or what? any help would be greatly appreciated T-Nation members:)

I would say yes… lol… though I’ve never really ever heard the term “ramp” used, it sounds like you should be building up to a max single/triple/double.

Ex. 2x5, 2x3, 2x2 breaking in singles

I hope all those max effort singles aren’t being done on the same day… CNS demand would be extremely high to say the least.

If your doing a MAX, I would guess that means to do a couple warm up sets and then max out. If you want to max at 405x3 and you ramp up like:

365x3
385x3
Attempt: 405x3

you might have fatigued yourself on the previous ramp up sets.

I would do something like

225x3
315x3
405x3

That’s just me though.

[quote]elano wrote:
If your doing a MAX, I would guess that means to do a couple warm up sets and then max out. If you want to max at 405x3 and you ramp up like:

365x3
385x3
Attempt: 405x3

you might have fatigued yourself on the previous ramp up sets.

I would do something like

225x3
315x3
405x3

That’s just me though.[/quote]

Typically, you see a ‘ramping’ with decreasing reps and increasing weight/intensity. But the point is to warm up the nervous system and muscles to get it steadily acclimated to handle either heavier weight than you would otherwise, or heavier weight safer than you would otherwise.

It differs from straight sets in that you generally end with a single set (1 set of five) as opposed to several sets (three sets of five).

But yeah, elano got it.

Bench workout
135x15
175x10
225x5
265x3
300x2

= a ramp

only the 300x2 should be a huge straigh, with the 365x3 requiring you to work, but not anything fatiguing

atleast thats how I do it

are those count chocula cereals good? are they just chocolate or do they have something more interesting?

[quote]CountChocula wrote:
Friday (Intensity)
Squat - ramp to max set of 3 or 5
Bench - ramp to max triple
Deadlift - ramp to max single, double or triple

i have no idea what to do here? ramp as in, build up to a one rep kinda deal? or what? any help would be greatly appreciated T-Nation members:)[/quote]

As you can see, different people have different definitions. It looks like you got this from a program designed by someone. Where or who did you find it from? That might help to figure out exactly what they meant, or how they usually define it.

I’d consider a ramp, in this case, to be doing several sets of the same reps at gradually increasing weights.

Squat - 135x3-5, 225x3-5, 275x3-5, 315x3-5 (if you think you could’ve gotten a 6th rep, add a little more weight for another set of 3-5)