T Nation

What Supplements Should I Take??

Im 16, i hit the gym at least 3 times a week…monday, wednesday, and friday… i was recently takin creatine monohydrate for the last 2 weeks, but the other night all my muscles were sore and my whole body was acheing, and all creatine does is add water weight… so im gonna stop taking it…

ive been taking GNC mega men sport multivitamin, and now im just taking muscle milk…ive been taking muscle milk for about a week now…so how does this sound?? and i also eat a pretty healthy diet…but i just want to hear suggestions from people that know what they’re talking about???

Thats not all creatine does read up but yes it does have you add water and be more hydrated which is a positive

What is your diet like and you have to expect some soreness a solid diet will help

If I were you your age and training age. Simple Protein like Metabolic Drive, creatine and a solid diet and training would be the staples. Tack on a fish oil supp as well

Phill

I would recommend eating those cheap cans of wild salmon instead of fish oil and protein powder. You get both healthy fat and protein from it, and it tastes very good with vegetables and olive oil too. At 16, plain old food works just fine, as does creatine.

Surge after workouts, ZMA before bed, and protein bars in between meals might also be considered. Bars are great because they’re more portable and convenient than powders.

Phil,

On the creatine and water weight thing, does it increase water absorption/retention mainly in muscle fiber or is it more general? Cheers.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
Phil,

On the creatine and water weight thing, does it increase water absorption/retention mainly in muscle fiber or is it more general? Cheers. [/quote]

IIRC, it basically works off osmosis. Creatine levels go up in the muscle cells and water follows. The big benefit is having more ATP for the muscle cells. That = more strength and more reps.

Somehow, ppl have taken probably the best and cheapest supplement and by word of mouth (and text) changed its perception to something that just bloats you. Then they’ll go buy expensive and worthless supplements. I just don’t understand.

[quote]4est wrote:
Creatine levels go up in the muscle cells and water follows. The big benefit is having more ATP for the muscle cells. [/quote]

Thanks 4est! Actually, it sounds like another benefit is that by drawing more water into muscle cells, this not only pumps the muscle a little but perhaps draws water from the rest of the body, leading to less bloat?

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Cheers.

pretty healthy diet? Sure… Tell me what you eat every day. I bet it’s woeful.

How much sleep are you getting?

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
4est wrote:
Creatine levels go up in the muscle cells and water follows. The big benefit is having more ATP for the muscle cells.

Thanks 4est! Actually, it sounds like another benefit is that by drawing more water into muscle cells, this not only pumps the muscle a little but perhaps draws water from the rest of the body, leading to less bloat?

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Cheers.
[/quote]

Not really away from the rest of the body but YES its a good thing I have no idea where this whole creatine and storing water is bad thing came about thats the main benefit the ATP and extra hydration which helps flush in good and out bad trash from the muscle

Phill