What Supplements Should I Take?

I was just woundering what kind of suppliments I should take? I am currently on a creatine and a protein from GNC, but everything I try never really works. So I was interested in the Biotest products. I am 22 years old, 209lbs, and 6 feet tall. I lift 4 to 5 times a week with some cardio in the mix too. I was trying to do some research on the stuff, but wasn’t quite sure what would be the best for me. I am going for a more ripped athletic look rather than getting bulky. If you could shed some light for me that would be great! Thanks,

Steve

search for the “13 Superstacks” article that may be of some help to you.

For one, I’d ditch GNC protein (assuming you mean their own brand), and get Metabolic Drive from here.

What’s your nutrition look like? I know you asked what supplements, but nutrition will play the biggest role.

I hate to be a ball buster, but I would make sure your training and diet are up to snuff before spending more of your hard earned cash. Judging by your “athletic/bulky” comment I assume you’re pretty new to the game.

Like Jehova said, give us an idea of what your diet’s like.

I am on GNC Metabolic Whey protein and MRI’s CE2-HI-DEF creatine. My diet, I try to eat 3 to 4 times a day. I RARELY drink soda, mostly tea and water. I pretty much stay away from junk food and fastfood. I drink a protein shake once or twice a day only on lifting days.

Can you elaborate anymore? What do you eat each meal? What’s your protein/carbs/fat breakdown?

You could benefit more by changing your eating habits (5-7 meals per day) and getting enough protein from whole-food sources, eating more healthy fats and plenty of fruits and veggies.

As for training, what do you do exactly? Many people think they workout correctly, but many follow crap programs with too low of intensity and too much volume.

I can’t really elaborate much more. I pretty much eat anything and everything, except junk and fast food. I have never kept track of protein/carb/cal. intake. I don’t really know a proper way to do it and it is hard to do with my schedule.

I lift about an hour to hour and a half on my lifting days. I go at about 8 or 9 at night, then drink a protein shake after I am done. I was really interested in superfood due to the fact of my schedule, it is hard for me to get a balanced diet in. I was also interested in Grow protein too. I am trying to be as detailed as I can, just ask me and I will try to answer you the best I can. Thanks for all your help.

Here is my workout plan: I it is a 12 week program hypertrophy, strength, and power. I am done with 8 weeks and am getting ready to start the Power stage. I have noticed an improvement in size and strenth and have lost fat, but gained muscle weight. What suggestions would you guys have instead for a workout?

POWER Cycle
Time: 4 weeks
Goal: Increase strength by augmenting muscle responsiveness
Objective: Take neural system to failure
Starting Weight: Maximum weight that causes �??failure�?? at the high number of reps in the first set

DAY 1 �?? Legs SETS REPS TEMPO
Squats 4 1-5 2-0-0
Leg press 4 1-5 2-0-0
Hip extension 3 3 2-0-0
Lunges 4 3-6 2-0-0
Calf raises 4 3 2-0-0
DAY 2 �?? Chest SETS REPS TEMPO
Incline press 4 1-5 2-0-0
Dumbbell flat bench 4 1-5 2-0-0
Dumbbell pullover 3 1-5 2-0-0
Dumbbell fly 4 1-5 2-0-0
Weighted ab crunch 3 3-8 2-0-0
DAY 3 �?? Off
DAY 4 �?? Back SETS REPS TEMPO
Overhand chins 4 failure 2-0-0
Barbell/dumbbell rows 4 1-5 2-0-0
Barbell pullover 4 1-5 2-0-0
Shrugs 4 1-5 2-0-0
Lat pull down 3 5 2-0-0
DAY 5 �?? Shoulders/ Biceps/Triceps SETS REPS TEMPO
Shoulders
Standing dumbell press 4 1-5 2-0-0
Dumbell side raise 4 1-5 2-0-0
Biceps
Standing curl 4 1-5 2-0-0
Reverse curl 4 1-5 2-0-0
Triceps
French curl 4 1-5 2-0-2
Press down 4 1-5 2-0-2
DAY 6 �?? Off
DAY 7 �?? Off

just a quick note, you have a lot of horizontal pressing movements compared to horizontal rowing.

Might want to change that so you don’t end up looking like those fools who walk around with their shoulders severely rounded forward

[quote]stevemaynerich wrote:
I can’t really elaborate much more. I pretty much eat anything and everything, except junk and fast food. I have never kept track of protein/carb/cal. intake. I don’t really know a proper way to do it and it is hard to do with my schedule.[/quote]

Eating correctly to build muscle is hard with anyone’s schedule.

You need to take the time to learn to eat better to support your goals before worrying about supplements.

Should I start with Superfood (so I get my daily intake of fruits and veggies)and a protein then, along with a good diet? As far as one of the comments on more horizontal pulling movements, what would you suggest?

[quote]stevemaynerich wrote:
Should I start with super food (so I get my dily intake of fruits and veggies)and a protein then, along with a good diet? As far as one of the comments on more horizontal pulling movements, what would you suggest?[/quote]

Start with a good base diet and use supplements to fill in the gaps.

Don’t use Superfood in place of eating fruits and vegetables, though.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
You could benefit more by changing your eating habits (5-7 meals per day) and getting enough protein from whole-food sources, eating more healthy fats and plenty of fruits and veggies.

As for training, what do you do exactly? Many people think they workout correctly, but many follow crap programs with too low of intensity and too much volume.[/quote]

Can you explain what you mean by ‘too much volume’?

[quote]Dubbz wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

As for training, what do you do exactly? Many people think they workout correctly, but many follow crap programs with too low of intensity and too much volume.

Can you explain what you mean by ‘too much volume’?[/quote]

Many people perform more sets and reps than is necessary or ideal for muscle growth. At the same time, they don’t lift heavy enough (intensity) or often enough.

In the T-Cell Alpha, there is a thread about “What Would You Do Differently” where I stated quite a few things some of which are related to volume and intensity. Check it out!

I can’t just say, “if you perform x-amount of sets and reps you are using too much volume.” It’s going to be based on numerous factors including training age, goals, frequency, recovery abilities, etc.

On the supplements side, I’d say dont get caught up with “do I need to be taking this or that”. I’ve spent so much money on supps and found that most of them dont make a difference. I would say though, that things like fish oil and a good multi should be used to fix any deficiencies. But as HK24719 said, dont let these stop you from healthy eating. Beyond that, make sure everything else is in order. Then maybe look into whey/malto post workout and maybe creatine when appropriate.