What Style MMA Do You Suggest?

alternativly you could get big, strong and mean looking - that usually puts a lot of people off having a go lol

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
If you have a “Straight Blast Gym”, or any of their affiliates. You’ll have the best training on earth imo.[/quote]

I am glad to hear that. I am planning to move to Portland this summer and was looking at either Straight Blast or seeing what kind of classes and Team Quest gym offers. Guess it depends on price and location.

I agree avoid fights in the first place. Fights suck. Obviously this is for when you cannot avoid them.

fireplug52 good advice, “They have classes in BJJ, JKD, Kali and Muay Thai.” I also think Kali is good. That place sounds good. It all depends on what is available in your area, of course.

JaysonVirissimo if there is a Pankras place nearby, that is another great choice I would highly recommend.

Xen Nova it is good to be able to take a sucker punch, and when it comes to the crunch, even with great reflexes you hardly see it coming, sometimes. Especially when drunk. Or tired.

But this guy (the original poster) already did some karate and kick boxing, so I don’t see how he can train his skills at absorbing punishment more without just letting people hit him, which you can do at home, no special instruction required. Naturally whatever style a person trains with should have sparring. Also, some people have a glass jaw, and some don’t.

Basically everyone gave good suggestions. It would be different if you did not have the training you already have, in which case I would throw some kickboxing in there for the kicking, striking, and taking the hits. But if you already have that then go for something grappling / trapping based.

Stuff it, get into them all. I recommend to everyone, 6 months in each, then re-asses where you are.

I think I’m just not a fan of trapping… of course I still know how. So I can’t say how that affects my reaction time and what not. I will have to admit that its positive influence on my reactions… It’s not something I actually use though, even when i stickfight. I just dont see it as practical. Instead of performing a “pak sao”, just slap the guys hand away, its not as complicated as people make it.

Back in the day though, I could go off on a mook jong :-p… ahh back when I was obsessed with Bruce Lee.

Did you say Bruce Lee? there goes the thread!

lol

Well I think we are all agreed that doing anything other than what you have already trained with is the way to go.

Need4Speed I just saw a picture of your rack and I am jealous. No doubt you need to learn more MA to fend off people trying to steal your toys

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=597549

And I have two (soon to be three) motorcycles in the same garage. Maybe I just need a Really Big Gun and a Really Big Dog! LOL…

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I think I’m just not a fan of trapping… of course I still know how. So I can’t say how that affects my reaction time and what not. I will have to admit that its positive influence on my reactions… It’s not something I actually use though, even when i stickfight. I just dont see it as practical. Instead of performing a “pak sao”, just slap the guys hand away, its not as complicated as people make it.

Back in the day though, I could go off on a mook jong :-p… ahh back when I was obsessed with Bruce Lee.[/quote]

Actually Xen I agree with you for the most part. I think the primary utility of learning trapping is the small but useful part it can play in a larger striking style. What I mean is that yes, a pak sao is not entirely necessary. However, precision and accuracy goes down hill fast in a fight or sparring situation. The more precise you drill yourself to be in training in everything you do the more likely it is that you will be precise in a live situation.

I mean, unless you are an uber-ninja your techniques will more than likely look like “slapping” in a sparring situation anyway!

-Fireplug

Yeah I box. And yesterday I got jumped by seven-thousand men. I got my neck broken, and my shin fractured. But I’m a pretty trained fighter so I beat them all up, even though I came out with life threatening injuries, I still kicked their asses, all 7000 of them, by myself. So do what I say, because I beat up 7000 men at once, with no real injuries, besides a broken neck and leg.

[quote]OlympicGymnast wrote:
Yeah I box. And yesterday I got jumped by seven-thousand men. I got my neck broken, and my shin fractured. But I’m a pretty trained fighter so I beat them all up, even though I came out with life threatening injuries, I still kicked their asses, all 7000 of them, by myself. So do what I say, because I beat up 7000 men at once, with no real injuries, besides a broken neck and leg.[/quote]

Were they little men?

lol

Hey I am not saying devote your life to trapping, I would say do it for a few months to bring existing karate+kickboxing skills closer to a grappling kind of fighting, then move to grappling. Also hopefully whilst doing the JKD with trapping you’d pick up some situational training ie counter to choke, counter to knife, counter to a couple of guys etc… although obviously depends on the school. Then do some grappling.

You should definitely train somewhere that gives you a) real world training conditions (i.e. sparring, rolling, etc) and b) gives you some experience in both stand-up and groundfighting. Basic boxing and wrestling would be enough; you never want to get taken to the ground (or have to throw punches) and be completely unfamiliar. If you’re just interested in streetfighting, ignore places that have you learn katas/forms.

Keep in mind that MMA and streetfighting aren’t always the same. Submission wrestling, Thai boxing, BJJ, etc will all be great in the ring and outside of it. But streetfights often also include weapons, multiple attackers, biting, eye gouging, etc. You could take the guy to the ground and get cut all to hell by broken bottles, or his buddies come and stomp your face in, or someone stabs you. Or you get arrested because you can’t finish the fight in under two minutes.

I’m a big fan of Paul Vunak’s Progressive Fighting System. It’s JKD/Kali based, and covers all four ranges of combat (kicking, punching, trapping, and grappling), as well as stick and knife fighting. It also uses Kino Mutai- the Filipino art of biting and eye gouging. Straight Blast Gym and most Kali or JKD schools would also be great.

Run far away from any place that tries to show you how to disarm a knife or a gun with your bare hands. These people are inexperienced at best and irresponsible at worst! That’s why I don’t like Krav Maga. If someone pulls a gun on you, no matter how badass you are, just give them you’re wallet. Same with a knife. Trying to take their weapon away will get you killed nine times out of ten. I worked as a bouncer for years and a friend of mine’s a cop; you see people die from stab wounds all the time because some karate instructor showed them how to X-Block it away from their opponent. That’s why you should carry a knife and know how to use it. Knife fighting is essential for a streetfighting system. I’d feel comfortable fighting five guys if I had my knife on me. Just realize that if you knife fight in real life, you will get cut. Winners drip, losers gush.

Yeah, this stuff sounds brutal, but so is a streetfight. Fights aren’t like the movies. Any fight (ANY!) is potentially a life or death situation and should be treated as such. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FAIR FIGHT! You should always be prepared to do your worse, and know that your attacker will do the same. But, as we used to always say, it’s better to tried by a group of twelve than carried by a group of six.

“If you bruise me, I’ll tear your flesh. If your tear my flesh, I’ll break your bones. If you break my bones, I’ll take your life.” - Bruce Lee

Glock 23, twice a-week at the range for an hour per session. 50-to-75 rounds per session. Point shooting.

I box for fun, and its the only time i don’t carry. If it comes down to missing a session at the gym vs. a session at the range, i miss the gym.

boxing is for fun

TD

How about this technique. Don’t get drunk and act like an asshole. If you follow that simple rule, I’d bet 99.99 percent of the time you will not get “jumped.” You can train for years and be able to kick anyone’s ass (except someone with a gun or a knife or a few friends or your address or your name and a phonebook) or just learn to control your behavior (especially your mouth) and not act like a fool.

I pretty much think training for a street fight is stupid. If you get into a street fight, chances are it is your fault and you probably deserve a good beating to teach you to grow up. Why are so many people who train for MMA getting into street fights? Is that just a coincidence? My guess is that defense is not the reason most get into fights often.

While you’re right for the most part (99% of streetfights are started by some asshole), that’s not always the case. A friend of mine was mugged just last week. He does MMA, and it’s probably the only thing that kept him from being hospitalized. When I was a bouncer, I’d see guys all the time that were just minding their business when some prick thought they’d be an easy target. I think most people should know how to defend themselves. Check out
http://www.extremeselfprotection.com/predator_profiles.htm
for some of the best reasons why people should learn to defend themselves.

Besides, it’s a lot more fun and a much better workout than cardio.

But, you’re mostly right. Anyone who goes out looking for a fight deserves to feed from a straw for six months.

[quote]Dorso wrote:
How about this technique. Don’t get drunk and act like an asshole. If you follow that simple rule, I’d bet 99.99 percent of the time you will not get “jumped.” You can train for years and be able to kick anyone’s ass (except someone with a gun or a knife or a few friends or your address or your name and a phonebook) or just learn to control your behavior (especially your mouth) and not act like a fool.

I think pretty much think training for a street fight is stupid. If you get into a street fight, chances are it is your fault and you probably deserve a good beating to teach you to grow up. Why are so many people who train for MMA getting into street fights? Is that just a coincidence? My guess is that defense is not the reason most get into fights often.[/quote]

I utterly disagree. It is people who are minding their own business and being a normal nice guy that get targetted by the assholes.

I’ve known a few assholes and I haven’t seen any of them get into a fight they didn’t start - because they go around acting like jerks they don’t get targetted. At least that is how it seems, hard to know what the idiots were up to.

Nice guy I know walking down the street with some girls, minding his own business, walking past some guys who were drunk, who just up and smash him in the face. Not a word, just a punch.

People minding their own business downstairs at a club (stairs lead to the street), guys walking past, decide to throw a stool down the stairs and start something.

Countless bloody examples.

If you think just being normal and minding your own business will keep you safe - you might be right, in the area you are in. And for most of the time, yes. But you just never know and it is good to have some skill.

By the way my recommendation is at all times, if possible, run away. You don’t need that crap. And self defense aimed at reducing the damage from the unexpected attack, possibly knocking down the attacker if possible or otherwise tie them up, then getting the hell out of there - that’s the best.

It is not always possible but it is a good plan.

Just give them your wallet? That is NOT always an option. Sometimes they don’t want your wallet, they want to torture you over a period of hours / days until you are dead.

Guns and knives are not always legal items to carry around in all countries. Assuming you go to other countries.

Not all places that teach anti knife / gun skills are bad, but I do not like the Krav Maga approaches. I am also a fan of Vunak, he is a good instructor. He imparts knowledge real good.

Do many of you know much about the revival of Western martial arts? (I do, I am just wondering if it is common knowledge yet). Yes, that’s right, not only the far east had systems of fighting lol … the western styles are very good, a lot of grappling, punching, very good moves and better for big guys (ie like people from the west). Many of the eastern styles are designed around the limitations of being low bodyweight … lots of kicking and fancy techniques.

If interested:

That is a more medieval version, of course most western martial arts turned into wrestling and boxing (and fencing).

[quote]durden wrote:
Glock 23, twice a-week at the range for an hour per session. 50-to-75 rounds per session. Point shooting.[/quote]

Already got that covered. Kimber 1911 .45ACP. It’s a fun gun to shoot. :slight_smile:

I’d prefer not to use it on someone unless absolutely necessary. Not all fights necessitate a firearm.

I suggest the new McDonalds of the martial arts world: TKD! You pay your money each month and they continue to advance you until you are a black belt. It matters not your age or your ability…piece of cake.

Then again that probably goes for most of the martial arts studios I’ve seen lately.

Be careful of MMA schools. Many of them are not particularly legit. Also, the whole “jack of all trades, but master of none” can be a problem. Most MMA schools are good things to do at first if you are looking for self-defense you can use tonight. But after a bit you should get into a style (most of the ones mentioned will suffice fine) that is a bit deeper rooted so you can learn more details and long-term skills.

Here’s my best advice in as few words as possible:

1. Gain size and strength. Big strong athletic guys can still lose fights, but it’s much easier to win when you are bigger and stronger than your opponent.

2. Go to a legitimate Boxing Gym and get some serious lessons. You will get hit in the face there (not play a game of martial arts tag), it will hurt and you will learn that it’s not the end of the world. You’ll also learn how to punch.

3. When you have experienced Boxing for a couple of years go to a good ground grappling school. Most fights do end up in some sort of grappling situation (even temporarily). This happens frequently, especially when one of the combatants wants to grapple!

4. When you do all of the above run, don’t walk in the other direction if you even think you might get into a fight. If you win you will certainly either go to jail or be sued. If you lose you will probably go to the hospital with some sort of injury. Fighting is to be restriced to the point where you are doing so only to defend family and loved ones.

Best Of Luck,

Zeb

I recommend Judo or Aikido. Both are infinitely deep and can suport a life time of practice and study. MMA has no soul and should probably be renamed “Advanced Bar Room Brawling.”
I’ve got nothing against MMA but the “martial art” aspect is a stretch. The MMA guys are basically very good fighters. There is more to the martial art thing than knuckle busting. I think that is where MMA is lacking.

[quote]jamej wrote:
I recommend Judo or Aikido. Both are infinitely deep and can suport a life time of practice and study. MMA has no soul and should probably be renamed “Advanced Bar Room Brawling.”
I’ve got nothing against MMA but the “martial art” aspect is a stretch. The MMA guys are basically very good fighters. There is more to the martial art thing than knuckle busting. I think that is where MMA is lacking.[/quote]

Aikido?

You really think you are going to get someone who is attacking you to cooperate with your throws the way they do in Aikido?

Aikido is sort of a sham my man.

And while MMA may not be your cup of tea it is a lot closer to reality than the game of tag that most traditional martial arts schools play.