What Straps for Deadlifting?

I would like to start using some straps for heavy Deadlifting. When i want to pull some heavy weight for more then a couple reps, its difficult to keep a good grip onto the bar. So please dont tell me to “be a man” and use a raw grip, i would like to buy some good quality straps that will last, thanks in advance :slight_smile:

what’s a “heavy weight”? Unless you’re pulling something ridiculous I wouldn’t imagine it’s going to make much difference. Just buy whatever’s cheap and hopefully, in a bit, you’ll realize that there’s no reason to ever use straps and you really should just work on your grip strength. At that point you’ll be glad you didn’t drop a load of money on some brand name straps.

Anything cheap at the sports store. Although, I recommend trying chalk to build grip strength. Whenever I pull 405+ with straps, I end up popping blood vessels in my hands. I stopped using them unless I’m doing ridiculous weight that I can’t hold.

I like the padded cloth straps - they are a lot easier on the wrists. If you are ramping the weight, go strapless for as much as you can and only save the straps for your top sets.

Buy LPG Lifting hooks! I have a weak grip and the hooks have been fantastic (had them about a month)

I put them on my wrists before I begin and take my grip as far as I can with each set. Then mid-set I clip the hook onto the bar and carry on. Hooking the bar takes less than a second and so it does not pause the set.

Using this method has allowed me to improve my grip quite dramatically. I will be posting a review in the equipment section soon, but example.

Week 1 - Set 1
6 reps hands only + 4 reps with hooks (The hooks gave me 4 extra reps, just like I would get with straps)

Week 2 - Set 1
10 reps hands only (unlike straps, I fully work my grip on each set and this allows it to improve)

As a bonus, the hooks are just easier to use than straps ‘AND’ they straps too in case you have a preference for a particular lift.

A part of me is imagining a future scenario when you start a thread “how do I increase my forearm size? they don’t seem to grow”

Not mocking you… but I do wonder how many of those forearm size threads are due to people who avoided grip training earlier in their lifting career.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
A part of me is imagining a future scenario when you start a thread “how do I increase my forearm size? they don’t seem to grow”

Not mocking you… but I do wonder how many of those forearm size threads are due to people who avoided grip training earlier in their lifting career.[/quote]

easily solved by doing your lighter sets without straps, then on the heaviest set (where your grip will give before your traps/back/whatever muscle your working) use the straps. Forearms still get worked, and you don’t limit the progress of the target muscle group.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
what’s a “heavy weight”? Unless you’re pulling something ridiculous I wouldn’t imagine it’s going to make much difference. Just buy whatever’s cheap and hopefully, in a bit, you’ll realize that there’s no reason to ever use straps and you really should just work on your grip strength. At that point you’ll be glad you didn’t drop a load of money on some brand name straps. [/quote]

Whenever one of these threads is brought up, theres always someone that says “just work on grip strength.” If this were a powerlifting forum i would understand, but its not.

Straps can make a huge difference. And no you dont have to get to a certain strength level to start using straps. Imo, if your grip is holding you back on almost any exercise, use them. No one can see your grip strength, but they can see your back development.

I do agree that cheap walmart straps will be just fine. No need to spend fiftu bucks on a pair.

What weight are you using?

Personally I wouldn’t use straps on anything, grip catches up quickly enough and then you don’t need to worry about it. Same with belts imo too.

Still as has been said, any straps should work really if that’s what you want.

use straps if you want, this is not the powerlifting forum, and he’s not preping for a meet. your grip will get stronger with straps too. picking up shitload of weight fromthe floor is hardcore enough.

give the guy a break.

I use Schiek leather straps when my grip starts to fail. They have lasted forever. Highly recommend them

Don’t listen to anybody except Maiden. Maiden = only one who lifts.

Cheap Wal-Mart straps work fine. I’ve been using my pair for about a year now, and they are still fine.

If you are worried about your grip, just throw in a set of Kroc Rows at the end of a workout. Helped my grip catch up fast after over-relying on straps a bit

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Don’t listen to anybody except Maiden. Maiden = only one who lifts.[/quote]

I can’t figure out if that’s a sarcastic dig at Maiden (who made a good point) or all the rest of us?

Not you, we well as a couple other people who managed to respond sensibly to the question being asked - just the majority of people on here who spew the same bullshit all day long and don’t lift.

[quote]winkel wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Don’t listen to anybody except Maiden. Maiden = only one who lifts.[/quote]

I can’t figure out if that’s a sarcastic dig at Maiden (who made a good point) or all the rest of us?[/quote]

Look at the blue nylon straps from Ironmind.com. They last years, and don’t fill your hand with wads of cotton.

Don’t ignore your weak links - If grip is failing you do need to work your grip or you will regret it later. That is a fact. But read on…

“grip catches up quickly enough” - For some this is the case, for others it is not. Maiden is right in his post and your grip strength is holding you back…like it did me. I followed the mantra of improving grip strength and it only held back my deadlifting progress. Wish I had known this sooner.

Ironically, my grip only started to get a lot better when I started using hooks. I would train grip, but would try and save my grip strength for the worksets on deadlifting as that was the point of failure. Now I want to take my grip to the limit, but then I keep going.

I have had a jump in grip strength by using fatgripz as much as I can combined with hooks. On deadlifting I warm-up with the fatgripz, then just the bar with an overhand grip.
For the higher rep work sets I take the overhand grip as far as I can before switching to alternate grip, eventually I attach the hooks when needed. I am targeting my grip as hard as I can through the warm-up and start of every set and this has allowed it to improve quite dramatically.
BINGO - I got the best out of both worlds.

I understand the fact that this isn’t the powerlifting forum, but it’s a powerlifting question. You don’t deadlift heavy amounts for any purpose but strength.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
You don’t deadlift heavy amounts for any purpose but strength. [/quote]

Stupid post.

What does this even mean? First, define “heavy,” secondly the greatest bodybuilder ever has many videos of him DLing massive weights by anyones measure.

Ronnie Coleman has deadlifted 800 pounds, for reps, with straps. Pretty sure that some body builders lift heavy and straps do not make or break the man. I have yet to see an impressive physique on this board that would shun using them.

It doesn’t matter what kind of straps, I doubt you’d see a difference. There are some pieces of equipment that I would never skimp on but with straps, I don’t spend a lot and most likely any would do.