What Steriod for Injury?

When a professional athelete has an injury you sometimes hear of them having a steroid shot in the effected muscle, this is normally just to help them in the short term I think to maybe play an important game that they otherwise not be fit for.

All I understand is that the injection is a anti - inflamatorry steroid injection.

does anyone know what compounds are normally given in this instanse and why it would not get the athelete banned from using steroids which are banned from most professional sports.

Answer: Cortisone

Cortisone is a type of steroid that is produced naturally by a gland in your body called the adrenal gland. Cortisone is released from the adrenal gland when your body is under stress. Natural cortisone is released into the blood stream and is relatively short-acting.
Injectable cortisone is synthetically produced and has many different trade names (e.g. Celestone, Kenalog, etc.), but is a close derivative of your body’s own product. The most significant differences are that synthetic cortisone is not injected into the blood stream, but into a particular area of inflammation. Also, the synthetic cortisone is designed to act more potently and for a longer period of time (days instead of minutes).

How does the cortisone injection help?
Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication.

Cortisone is not a pain relieving medication, it only treats the inflammation. When pain is decreased from cortisone it is because the inflammation is diminished. By injecting the cortisone into a particular area of inflammation, very high concentrations of the medication can be given while keeping potential side-effects to a minimum. Cortisone injections usually work within a few days, and the effects can last up to several weeks.

Above info from About.com

nice one cheers I have heard of Cortisone and did not realise this is what is was

tell your doctor, he might presribe an anti inflamatory (Naproxen) or depending on the severity cortico steroid injection. Anti inflamatorys do help with pain but it is a result of the deacrease in inflamation. A legal Alternative is Aleave, but dont take to much for it could be deadly. Your best bet thoug is to talk to a doctor

Thanks for that I do not have an injury that severe right now I was just wondering after hearing a news report about an atlete having a steroid onjection to compete

Would cortisone shots help speed recovery from an injury such as tendinitis or is it just used to temporarily reduce the pain/inflammation for a while ?

I don’t think it speeds recovery at all. The pain goes away from a given injury because it reduces swelling/inflamation.

Also, animal studies have shown effects of weakening of tendons and softening of cartilage with cortisone injections.

I have some MMA friends that used a little decca to heal their injuries. It works great.