What Squat Suit to Buy?

I qualified for the USAPL nationals in St.Louis and am thinking about buying a squat suit for the competition. Any recommendations? I am particularly concerned about durability, as I will want to train with it for a month or so before the competition because I have never used one before.

I am a naturally very narrow squatter who is trying to move his stance out. With a wider stance, I am having problems with getting stuck in the hole.

It appears that the big 3 are the Metal Viking, the Titan Centurion, and the Inzer Hardcore. I am leaning towards the Metal Viking, just because I heard on a message board that it is more durable and that the Inzer is only good for 2 or 3 lifts, then it loses its ‘pop’.

Finally, do I need to buy gear to assist me in putting it on (arm slippers, etc.)? I may be attending the meet solo so would have to put it on myself. Thanks for your help!

I have heard nothing but good things about the Metal products.

As for putting it on, you will need someone to help you put it on if you get the right size. No way you can put it on yourself if it fits right. If you can it is too loose.

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
I qualified for the USAPL nationals in St.Louis and am thinking about buying a squat suit for the competition. Any recommendations? I am particularly concerned about durability, as I will want to train with it for a month or so before the competition because I have never used one before.

I am a naturally very narrow squatter who is trying to move his stance out. With a wider stance, I am having problems with getting stuck in the hole.

It appears that the big 3 are the Metal Viking, the Titan Centurion, and the Inzer Hardcore. I am leaning towards the Metal Viking, just because I heard on a message board that it is more durable and that the Inzer is only good for 2 or 3 lifts, then it loses its ‘pop’.

Finally, do I need to buy gear to assist me in putting it on (arm slippers, etc.)? I may be attending the meet solo so would have to put it on myself. Thanks for your help![/quote]

i have not used metal products but they have a good reputation. I prefer Titan over Inzer as the suits have more stopping power in the hole, where the Inzer seams more springy.

It comes down to personal preference.

jack

The squat suit is going to allow you to squat wider as it gives most of its benefit in the hole. For a first suit, I would definately stick with the Metal, but call elitefts and ask about the sizing. Give them your current maxes as well as your body measurements, and tell them how soon you need it.

I use the metal pro right now extremely loose, and i still get a ton of caryover. I can get the suit on with the straps up in about 45 seconds by myself, so my next purchase will be a tigher metal pro squatter. Good luck!

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:

Finally, do I need to buy gear to assist me in putting it on (arm slippers, etc.)? I may be attending the meet solo so would have to put it on myself. Thanks for your help![/quote]

How did you qualify for nationals without a squat suit? Did you hit your QT raw? Just curious. Anyway, i’m not a big fan of the IPF metal gear at all. Especially for a narrow squatter. Keep in mind all three of the suits you listed are going to force you to take a bit wider of a stance. Of the three you listed, the hardcore is the easiest to use but provides the least support.

The centurian is a great all around suit but takes some getting used to, and I don’t recommend metal at all. the new centurian material is superior to the sinlge ply metal and the design is ten times better than the metal.

Personally if you want to preserve your narrow stance, I highly recommend the inzer fusion. It?s a deadlift suit but the legs are open which allows you to take a more natural stance. You still get plenty of pop from the hips out of it. as a fellow narrow stance squatter I think you would be happy with that pick. The new trx from inzer is the same suit with a bit more support in the legs.

I’d go with the centurion if I were you, its the best IPF legal suit out there. It is what most of the top USAPL/IPF lifters are using. It’s the most durable, and has a good carryover. Metal is more known for their double ply gear, which is obviously not legal in the USAPL. Just curious, what did you total in your qualifying meet raw?

If you’ve had time to practice before the meet with it you’ll know if you need help getting it on or not.

I’m a fan of Titan.

Sounds like there is not much of a consensus. I said I was a naturally narrow squatter, but since almost missing all my squats on depth at my first meet, I have moved my stance out.

I qualified raw with a 1742 total in the 275 class; hoping the squat suit and experience will get me a 1900 at nationals. Next meet I will worry about the bench shirt and probably annoy everyone again with a ‘Which bench shirt to buy’ post.

hahaha, I’m going to give you another differing opinion. I would look into a Metal Pro Deadlifter.

For a narrow stance, it should be killer and it is single ply.

Hello, I would recommend the Titan suits. I squat medium stanced and liked the stopping power and support through the hole.

beef

Titan Centurion NXG super+ is the one to go for in my opinion.

Super easy to learn, and great stopping power. I found the way it stops me haard to handle at first, but I’ve only had 3 sessions and one comp in the suit and I’ve adjusted to it easily now.

For a quick learning curve, and durability I’d recommend an Ernie Frantz squat suit. Google his name, his website is very basic, but his equipment is phenomenal.

How do the major brands of single ply suits (titan, Inzer, Metal) hold up in terms of durability, in terms of being able to train regularly in them as well as competing in the same suit?

I can’t speak TOO well for the Centrution, but I have used in 3 training sessions with the straps down, 2 with the straps up and 3 competition attempts and it’s lost nothing. It’s a fairly lose suit at the moment anyway (straps go up like a singlet) so that could affect it.

I do have an F6 bench shirt that I’ve used in about 10 training sessions and 2 competitions and it’s good as ever.

Titan gear is durable if you look after it in my experience (get some powerwash and wash it in that after every workout).

They are all pretty much the same. Once you’ve broken them in they tend to loose their tightness pretty quickly. Like hanley said though if you take care of them and you don’t mind having loose gear you can get a couple good years out of them.