T Nation

What Splits, Sets, and Reps Are You Using?

I have so many different routines in my head that I am starting to confuse myself sets reps which exercises ect. Please provide any feedback you want to share.....

Your thinking too much. Stop thinking, and just go smash weights.

I'm not gonna say what sets and reps I use here, because I layed that all out in a thread not far below this one where I was asking if anyone had any tricks to maintaining work capacity under stress / high work load / long work hours. I will say this though:

Depending on where your at, and what your prioritys are I'd recomend either a "west side" style split, or a "5/3/1" style split. The conjigate system has been good to me, but I know alot of other people seem to like Wendler's training style (which really isn't all that different in structure).

In any event your going to want to do some main lifts at a high intensity for lowish volume (for strength). In the case of a conjigate system that's going to mean 8 to 12 sets of tripples on speed bench day (at 60% of your max with compensetory acceleration), and 8 to 12 sets of double box squats (loaded in waves between 50 and 70% depending on various things. I've found 55 to 65% to be my best range). And on the max effort days you work up to a max single of a different excersize each week.

After that you do however many sets and reps you feel is best on whatever excersizes you feel will best address your weaknesses (whatever is holding back the main lifts). There's an article here on T-Nation somewhere, and on elitefts by Dave Tate called the "periodization bible" that lays out a good place to start.

Or in Wendler's 5/3/1 you have a day for Bench, a day for Squats, a day for Military presses, and a day for Deadlifts. You take that lift, and with a certain percentage of your 1 rep max you do 2 sets of 5, 3 or 1, followed by a 3rd set of 5 or more , 3 or more, or 1 or more (reps to failure). Than you again do whatever sets and reps of whatever excersizes you feel will best make those lifts stronger.

On both systems you do a little bit of GPP, or conditioning either as part of the main training sessions or seperatly (it doesn't really matter when, just as long as it gets done).

If your not in tune with yourself enough yet to autoregulate your own training, than lay out the 20 bucks for Wendler's ebook, or read Tate's bible articles. Or go over to the westside site, and read all that. Have a look through the training logs at elite, etc.. Just don't over complicate things.

Just use Prilepin's chart as a guide. That or take the Ed Coan approach of push yourself hard, but always leave 1-2 reps in the tank.

Thanks I am famous for over thinking everything!lol

Whenever you're confused on what you should be doing, just do the basics. Squat day, bench day, deadlift day. Add in accessory work and you're gold.

Good topic, I often get confused myself. It really doesn't matter when you have know somewhat of what you are doing. The real matter is about how hard are you pushing.

As long as you aren't killing yourself every day, you're good to go. One balls-out set on a main lift is enough, but if you find yourself pushing to the point of a missed rep eeeeevery session, you're going too hard.

Five

Three

One

3 numbers, $20: 5/3/1

So this is going to be a dumb question but the 5/3/1 I'm assuming is 3 sets that are 5, 3, and 1 reps?

No. Buy the book.

It's a $20 e-book on EliteFTS. Worth every penny. First training book I've actually bought.