T Nation

What Should I Eat???

Alright I am 5’9 150lbs… I workout 4-5 days a week doing explosive workouts and plyo’s. As you can see I am a kicker,next year will be my seinor year in HS and really wanna make it count.

What are some foods that I should add to my diet that will help promote muscle growth ( no supplements plz). I dont wanna look like arnie I just wanna have some sort of prespective on what I should eat.

I already Eat all the Protien and all the Carbs I can get my hands on and steer way clear of the sugars and things of that nature. I eat whole grains, proteins and carbs basically. What say you?.
Hunter C.

I say you focus on your classwork. Read a book.

Bro thats a pretty wide open question. answer FOOD!! Good whole food as the main stay.

Check out the “foods that make you look good nekid” article and a ton of other great articles. When you have more direct ?'s come on back.

Phill

Develop a passion for peanut butter

Well I guess what I am saying is without using some sort of whey protein or something of that nature, what should I focus on adding to my diet to make what I do in the weightroom more efficent IE: what foods increase protein synthesis. basically I wanna get bigger without gaining alot of weight.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Bro thats a pretty wide open question. answer FOOD!! Good whole food as the main stay.

Check out the “foods that make you look good nekid” article and a ton of other great articles. When you have more direct ?'s come on back.

Phill[/quote]

good read brought a lot of insight… Looks like I will just keep eating a shitload of protein and carbs.

[quote]cfkicker wrote:
Well I guess what I am saying is without using some sort of whey protein or something of that nature, what should I focus on adding to my diet to make what I do in the weightroom more efficent IE: what foods increase protein synthesis. basically I wanna get bigger without gaining alot of weight.[/quote]

Wait… you want to get bigger… without gaining weight? Did you reread that after you typed it!!!

[quote]Wait… you want to get bigger… without gaining weight? Did you reread that after you typed it!!!
[/quote]

Doesent make alot of since does it…lol.
I just wanna get a little bit more mass without gettin huge… I have a reg, diet i use and will modify it soon.

[quote]cfkicker wrote:
I dont wanna look like arnie I just wanna have some sort of prespective on what I should eat.[/quote]

[quote]cfkicker wrote:
I just wanna get a little bit more mass without gettin huge…[/quote]

Please tell me you didn’t actually just type those two sentences.

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
Develop a passion for peanut butter[/quote]

YES! but remember ORGANIC peanut butter

Whatever you do, don’t get skippy

[quote]cfkicker wrote:
Well I guess what I am saying is without using some sort of whey protein or something of that nature, what should I focus on adding to my diet to make what I do in the weightroom more efficent IE: what foods increase protein synthesis. basically I wanna get bigger without gaining alot of weight.[/quote]

Well this is just me…You weight 150? are you ripped? Scared to lose your abs? something you could do is gain weight…then cut to 160 or 155…and You’ll be bigger but you have to gain mass.

In bodybuilding competitions…when some bodybuilders gain weight and they’re about 5% bf…and then they cut to 5% body fat again, they’re about 3-6 pounds heavier…and those 3 to 6 pounds is HUGE difference at that level…but still your question does not make sense.

My suggestion to you is…have a lot of protein. PROTEIN PROTEIN. Have a protein shake RIGHT before you go to bed. Like if you go to bed at 11:00 drink it at 10:50. plus, you shouldnt be pround of 150 pounds at your frame-im not trying to flame you…just someone had to say it. Do power cleans and front squats if your a kicker. Use bands and plate slides…go read Dave Tate’s articles the “toolbox” ones.

[quote]Marlonrobo wrote:
cfkicker wrote:
Well I guess what I am saying is without using some sort of whey protein or something of that nature, what should I focus on adding to my diet to make what I do in the weightroom more efficent IE: what foods increase protein synthesis. basically I wanna get bigger without gaining alot of weight.

Well this is just me…You weight 150? are you ripped? Scared to lose your abs? something you could do is gain weight…then cut to 160 or 155…and You’ll be bigger but you have to gain mass.

In bodybuilding competitions…when some bodybuilders gain weight and they’re about 5% bf…and then they cut to 5% body fat again, they’re about 3-6 pounds heavier…and those 3 to 6 pounds is HUGE difference at that level…but still your question does not make sense.

My suggestion to you is…have a lot of protein. PROTEIN PROTEIN. Have a protein shake RIGHT before you go to bed. Like if you go to bed at 11:00 drink it at 10:50. plus, you shouldnt be pround of 150 pounds at your frame-im not trying to flame you…just someone had to say it. Do power cleans and front squats if your a kicker. Use bands and plate slides…go read Dave Tate’s articles the “toolbox” ones.

[/quote]

Overall caloric intake is more important than someone’s intake of protein alone. To someone as turned around as the guy who started this thread, telling him to focus in on protein like that is a mistake. If someone doesn’t even understand how to eat enough to make gains…or that they should even be making gains at all, why would you tell them they need to just focus in on protein? As a beginner I grew just fine without access to ANY protein supplements. Why? Because I was eating enough food to gain weight.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Overall caloric intake is more important than someone’s intake of protein alone. To someone as turned around as the guy who started this thread, telling him to focus in on protein like that is a mistake. If someone doesn’t even understand how to eat enough to make gains…or that they should even be making gains at all, why would you tell them they need to just focus in on protein? As a beginner I grew just fine without access to ANY protein supplements. Why? Because I was eating enough food to gain weight.[/quote]

Your right, I did make the mistake of making it sound that way. But as you can see I did tell him to gain weight though and cut down again if he wants to stay around that way (the example of boydbuilding). Since he said he didnt want to gain weight, I said a lot of protein because it will help with his performance. Even Dr. JB's articles say more protein, "everyone needs more protein". The thing is though, you started to gain weight without any supplements. The first time I ever gained weight, I didnt use protein supplements at all either. 

I suggest picking up Dr. John Berardi’s “Precision Nutrition” kit. It will teach you how to eat correctly for health, body composition, and performance…and it will create lasting habits. Check it out at www.precisionnutrition.com

PS - I don’t get a cut of what he sells, although JB if you’re reading this… :wink:

PPS - You can also check out JB’s FREE 8 day course, by going here:
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/course/

Alright… I have got yall thinkin that I am a complete dumbass… I do realize that I have said some contradictory stuff but hey im a nube u gotta start somewhere. I cant hardly gain weight my motto is that If I aint eatin Im hungry my metabolism is like that stated in the “foods that make you look good nekkid” I have the metabolism of a hummingbird on meth.

I dont wanna go out and gain a butt load of weight i ultimately wanna build muscle i want muscle weight not dead weight that is what i have been saying if gaining is a part of the process than so be it i just dont wanna go out and gain a bunch of weight and be a lardass then lose it so i feel big> no i aint a ripped guy i just wanna stay as lean as i am now yet gain muscle mass> hope this clears things up a little bit>