What Should I Do?

Hello T-Nation, I have a problem. I don’t know what to do. Lets start with what I want. It is summer so it’s six pack time. I really want my muscles to show because I do have them just under a little bit of fat. The problem is, I don’t know whether to start up with a lean out program, or go into a muscle up program.

I would never want to be above 220 for the lack of mobility that may ensue. In these pictures I am around 200 and this is my cheat day so I am not as lean as normal. But still a day isn’t going to change that much. I want to have a larger chest, but I cannot stand having fat around my waist, especially obliques.

I have to general schools of thought, one that I should lose fat while retaining muscle. The problem here is that my gains stop or reverse everytime I try to do two days of HIIT for 20 minutes each. Also when I lean out I use 15 second rests between sets and dont worry I use large compound movements with maybe 1 or 2 single joint exercises at the end.

I do an ab circuit in the beginning of my training cover 4 parts of my abs and then doing back extensions.

The other thought is to continue with a muscle plan , no cardio, but I may do a weekend run, Steady state to burn off some beer because I party fridays and saturdays. I figure a quick run saturday will put a dent in friday night without diminishing my gains.

When I muscle up, I have 30 seconds of rest if I am split training and 60 seconds if I am doing full body workouts. I don’t to HIIT when muscling up because it really cuts into my gains, but I am open to steady state. Though Id keep it under 30 minutes to protect muscle mass.

My diet is fine, I believe in carbs though only from fibrous sources ie whole grains, fruits and vegetables. I eat very clean so I don’t really pay attention to exact numbers. I just make sure i have carbs protein and healthy fats in my meals. So here are some pictures to help you see where I am coming from.

I want to hear what you all think I should do. Like I said fat loss is important but I need to know if I need to get it by leaning out, or increasing muscle mass to increase metab and lowering my fat that way.

I am open to HOT-ROX, though I don’t know how they are used. Muscle plan+ HOT-ROX my answer? Let me know, and spare me the gain 100 pounds answer, like I said I don’t want to go above 220, I want to look agile as well as strong.

picture

swole legs, bro.

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
I would never want to be above 220 for the lack of mobility that may ensue. In these pictures I am around 200 and this is my cheat day so I am not as lean as normal. But still a day isn’t going to change that much. I want to have a larger chest, but I cannot stand having fat around my waist, especially obliques…

…I am open to HOT-ROX, though I don’t know how they are used. Muscle plan+ HOT-ROX my answer? Let me know, and spare me the gain 100 pounds answer, like I said I don’t want to go above 220, I want to look agile as well as strong. [/quote]

Honestly, I think that if you cut you would look neither agile nor strong, but slender and average.

Your cheat day leaves you being “not as lean as normal”? How much weight do you put on during these cheat “days”?

My advice is not to worry about your love handles just yet, though I think this is going to be a fun thread (especially given the “lack of mobility” at 220 comment)…

Here’s something I don’t understand. If it’s now summer and you want a 6 pack, should you not have been preparing said 6 pack for the past 2 months as opposed to trying to attain it now.

I mean seriously, by the time you lose enough bodyfat for any sort of muscle “definition” to be apparent you will have likely 1) Lost muscle, and 2) it will be September. In my opinion you need to just bite the bullet on this summer and start adding mass because lets be serious you dropped the ball and didn’t prepare in time.

[quote]T-man21 wrote:

I would never want to be above 220 for the lack of mobility that may ensue.

…like I said I don’t want to go above 220, I want to look agile as well as strong. [/quote]

WTF is this dude?

Mobility? Agile? Strong? Yeah if u had 220 of muscle you would look weak and unfunctional… LOL By what means is that, care to explain?

And yeah go squat

Read this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=817951

Well played Kroby. Apparently my numbers were a bit skewed. I said I dn’t want to go above 220, because many of the people with bodytypes I aspire for are in the range of 190-220. I am well aware that as far as you guys are concerned that isn’t a big goal.

I am willing to admit I don’t have the desire nor motivation to go for Arnold size. Thats just not my bag. I said LOOK agile, not actually be agile, I am aware half the NFL is very agile and 240+.

I am also going by popular opinion I have seen what guys here have done and it is very impressive, I just don’t desire to be able to gnaw a truck in half with my teeth. As far as the cheat day is concerned, I guess I was just covering my ass for not looking as good as if I took the picture after working out when I would still have a pump.

Good comments so far, sometimes a kick in the ass is just as good as actual advice. Good thing guys here give both. Thanks, keep em comin

I think the problem is that those body types you’re wanting are 190-220 and likely at a much lower body fat percentage than your current BF.

You’re going to have to build up to a weight quite a bit higher than your final goal before you cut down.

Yes, I thought I may have to do that, what do you think ten pounds? Or am I going to have to eye ball it?

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
Yes, I thought I may have to do that, what do you think ten pounds? Or am I going to have to eye ball it?[/quote]

Your eyeball will always give you objective opinions. When you see you’re at your ideal, then that’s it. Until then…

How tall are you? I don’t see how you can be around 200 pounds and look that small. No offense about that, you just don’t look very big at all, I’m guessing you’re a couple inches over 6 feet?

I honestly don’t think you need to cut or worry about your mobility at this point.

I am about 6 foot, 6 foot 1. I will be muscling up this summer then. Probably 6 days a week training the whole body twice a week.