What Should I Do Next

Just a little backgroud i have been doing 5 3 1 and my lifts are

BP 290
OHP 185
SQ 385
DL 415

Im also 270 with around 28% BF i really want to get down to about 210. But im not sure what i should do to keep all my strength and lose the fat. I must admit my diet isn’t what it should be. Would i be able to get down to 210 with wendler 5 3 1 and locking down my diet or should i move to a different program

What does your current diet look like?

honestly a whole bunch of bull shit my lifts have progressed even while eating badly but i know i will never get to my weight goals eating like i am

[quote]DroidDavi wrote:
Would i be able to get down to 210 with wendler 5 3 1 and locking down my diet or should i move to a different program [/quote]

You can lose 60 pounds while doing 5/3/1 especially if you are 28% body fat. Switching your program up to a higher rep plan is just some bull sh*t that needs to die. Keep hitting the gym hard and dial in your calories and you will lose wight. Dial them in too quickly and your strength will drop so do the math and eat enough to fuel training. It might take you a few tweaks to get it right so don’t get discouraged.

[quote]DroidDavi wrote:
Im also 270 with around 28% BF i really want to get down to about 210. But im not sure what i should do to keep all my strength and lose the fat.[/quote]

I also wanted to mention that you will lose some strength if you choose to diet. If the math portion of my brain is working today you are trying to lose 22 of that 28% bringing you to 6%BF?

If you want to drop 60 pounds which currently equals 22% of your body weight things will change. Some things will get better, like the response of women when you try to talk to them at the bar. On the down side you will lose strength PLUS your lifts will go down. The bar will travel farther when you bench and the hole will seem deeper without the built in break.

Just decide what YOU want to do. If your not committed to a 60lb weight lose you have about a snowballs chance of achieving that kind of change.

^^ In addition to JLone’s

Keep in mind, even if you do drop 50 lbs of weight and your OHP decreases by maybe 15lbs, (just throwing a number out) you techincally are stronger because your bodyweight to OHP ratio went up

For example:
OHP/Current BW Ratio- 185/270 ->.70

Drop 50lbs and OHP goes down by 15 lbs
OHP/BW Ratio- 170/220->.77
So you’re stronger for your new bodyweight

Just something to keep in mind.

ok i get what you guys are saying. get my diet in line keep lifting with 5 3 1 and profit. my only other question is will my energy take a big hit i have been using the Periodization Bible but i fear i wont be able to keep up with the voulume i have also been looking at the 5 3 1 plus body-building. So much question is

if im trying to lose fat weight would the increased volume juts be a waste of time since if my strength goes down im sure i wont build mass from the extra volume

I suggest trying the Simple Diet outlined on this site.
It allows you to eat as much as you want, but limits you to only natural, healthy foods.

I easily dropped 4kgs of fat using it over a couple of months, and I was pretty lean to begin with, meaning fat loss is generally slower.

For the first couple of weeks I noticed a bit of fatigue, but after that my body adjusted and I felt more energetic than beforehand.

You will also notice your energy levels will become constant rather than fluctuating as they no doubt currently do with your less healthy eating.

As far as routine choices go, just stick with 5/3/1 and sure switch to a different accessory set if you feel like you need a change. The Full Body Training from the 2nd Edition is pretty fun if you feel like mixing it up.

Good luck!!

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
I suggest trying the Simple Diet outlined on this site.
It allows you to eat as much as you want, but limits you to only natural, healthy foods.

I easily dropped 4kgs of fat using it over a couple of months, and I was pretty lean to begin with, meaning fat loss is generally slower.

For the first couple of weeks I noticed a bit of fatigue, but after that my body adjusted and I felt more energetic than beforehand.

You will also notice your energy levels will become constant rather than fluctuating as they no doubt currently do with your less healthy eating.

As far as routine choices go, just stick with 5/3/1 and sure switch to a different accessory set if you feel like you need a change. The Full Body Training from the 2nd Edition is pretty fun if you feel like mixing it up.

Good luck!![/quote]

Do you have a link to the diet by any chance ?

Chris Shugart did an article about 100g carb cure. Good read too (use te search function)

ok thanks alot guys im starting it up on monday