What Sets/Reps for Tennis?

I was wondering what would be the best set/rep program for tennis. In season program. And what one should focus on in the weight lifting room.

Thanks.

PS: It might be a stupid question. So answer as you feel.

I’d say check out defrancostraining.com, the in-season program, this is made for athletes.

You want to follow a structured plan like that, so you aren’t killing your body and not even recovering for your actual tennis sessions/games.

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
I’d say check out defrancostraining.com, the in-season program, this is made for athletes.

You want to follow a structured plan like that, so you aren’t killing your body and not even recovering for your actual tennis sessions/games.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll do that.

hahahahahaha

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:
And what one should focus on in the weight lifting room. [/quote]

“Avoiding injury” would be my best answer. Corrective and preventative exercises, along with mobility.

Aren’t you on-court a LOT in-season?

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
JuicyLucy wrote:
And what one should focus on in the weight lifting room.

“Avoiding injury” would be my best answer. Corrective and preventative exercises, along with mobility.

Aren’t you on-court a LOT in-season?[/quote]

I must say I am on-court all year around. In tennis we have only 3-4 weeks off season around Xmas.

Thanks.

Depending on what level you play at, I’m betting you’re on court just about every day too, right?

That’s a lot of repetitive motion.

I would see a physiotherapist to give you a program so that you can head off any imbalances. Strengthening the external rotators would be almost mandatory. Core work, too.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
Depending on what level you play at, I’m betting you’re on court just about every day too, right?

That’s a lot of repetitive motion.

I would see a physiotherapist to give you a program so that you can head off any imbalances. Strengthening the external rotators would be almost mandatory. Core work, too.[/quote]

You’re right. I’m on the court 5 times a week sometimes twice a day.

That is why I’m having trouble weight lifting. If I go heavy I can’t play/ co-ordinate properly the next day.

I suppose that I need to do weights to prevent injuries in-season and build up my strength ONLY off-season.

Don’t know what to do, really.

I’d focus on the shoulders, as has been mentioned already. Pull-aparts, external rotations, seated db cleans, rear delt raises, etc. Also, I would stay away from lunges since tennis is basically a lunging game and that is alot of repetitive motion.

So mostly focus on preventative excercises and mobility, unless you are just so undeniably weak you cant swing the racket with enought speed. Technique always seemed to be more important than actual brute strength to me. SAVE YOUR SHOULDERS!!! thats what i learned.

Definitely read everything regarding shoulders by Eric Cressey, he’s a recovering tennis player as well :D.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Definitely read everything regarding shoulders by Eric Cressey, he’s a recovering tennis player as well :D.[/quote]

x2. Even better repost/ask Eric in his new thread in the locker room section.

Personally I would recommend training once a week on a Friday so as to recover on the weekend, doing a low volume program and not to failure