What’s Your Favorite Kind of Apple?

iphone

jennifer-aniston-curly-hair-smirk-gif (1)

2 Likes

Honey crisp.
When I was a kid we would get good ole Red Delicious, especiallyfor Christmas. They were BIG and good back then, not so much anymore :unamused:

4 Likes

Gala

2 Likes

YES! They were amazing. What the heck happened?

2 Likes

Honey crisp, empire. Couple years ago I tried Cosmic crisp and they were really good, but I haven’t seen them since.

3 Likes

I have an ex who’s grandfather just stopped eating apples altogether because they weren’t like the ones he had as a kid.

This is the same man who also stopped drinking coffee when his coffee maker broke instead of buying a new one because “I’m 80. I’m not going to live that much longer.” He lived to be 98.

He was a trip.

5 Likes

I don’t know, but they’re just not the same.

And I think @SkyzykS is also correct about the storage.

2 Likes

granny smith for sure. Honeycrisp close second

1 Like

I remember those days. The Red Delicious apples are mush these days. I won’t buy another one.

1 Like

I think that has to do with storage and distribution.

Its like they get mealy and dont have that fresh crisp texture.

1 Like

My favorite isn’t listed - Pink Lady

Golden delicious is pretty close second and there is one called “autumn beauty” that is a great mix of tart and sweet.

Empire I think is the best for sauces and desserts

2 Likes

So I work at a distribution center for a large grocery store chain. When I was in the fresh foods department today I was talking with some of the QA inspectors. I asked them why when cosmic crisp first came out they were the size of watermelons, but now just average apples. They said it all just comes down to weather and rainfall the year they were harvested. And the difference from season to season is magnified due to the fact that a majority of cosmic crisp are grown in Washington.

Long story short, next pallet of cosmic crisp I see, I’m “inspecting” for quality.

1 Like

Fuji, Braeburn, and Honey Crisp are my top three. Cosmic Crisp, Pink Lady, and Granny Smith are honorable mentions.

1 Like

I guess that would explain this…

Same price point for Red Delicious but it was fully stocked.

3 Likes

Fuji is the only acceptable answer. I will accept honeycrisp if the store is out of Fuji.

2 Likes

I highly recommend visiting an orchard in the Midwest during September/October if you ever get the chance. New kinds of apples and stuff you can do with them will knock your taste buds out.

Apples and cheese anyone?
Sounds weird but works.

4 Likes

Absolutely!

Quatro formagio baby!

My cheese sauces suck though.

1 Like

I had an aunt that used to eat apples and pears with mayonnaise.

1 Like

I remember when my mother placed slices of cheese on her apple pie just before putting it on the table. It was good, but given the choice between a slice of cheese and ice cream, it wasn’t difficult for a little boy to make.

3 Likes

Can confirm. We will pair cheese with almost anything Midwest. I am not complaining. Most people are just missing out.

I’ve heard from two friends that moved West that grocery stores don’t carry nearly the quantity or variety of cheese compared to MN.

Wisconsin is on another level though. People sell it on the side of the road. Every gas station seems to sell cheese curds. I’ve made trips to get New Glarus beer and cheese curds.

2 Likes