What Routine Would be Best?

Hi guys,

Ok so I’m 21, have been training on and off for a few years (the only workout routine i ever stuck to for more than 3 weeks was ABBH!), seen a little bit of progress (lifts/muscle gain), and i’m about to finish a cut and want to get on a routine thats focused on hypertrophy with any strength gains welcome.

My Stats are as follows;

5’8/9
155lbs
11% Body Fat

Incline Bench: 170lbs (i cant do flat bench because of AC seperation injury!)
Estimated Flat Bench: 200lbs
Squat: 230lbs
Deadlift: 310lbs
Military Press: 150lbs
Chin Ups: ~16

Would I be classed as a beginner or intermediate?!?! What sort of routine would be good to pack on some muscle mass for me personally?

Please help me! :stuck_out_tongue:

Many thanks guys,

You are a beginner.

First off, what did you eat yesterday? (Thanks Chris)

Two, if the anorexic vampire look is what you are going for, then you are almost there.

You have decent number for the amount of time you have been working out. A good routine, you might want to check Kingbeef’s thread in the bodybuilding section. Or any Hypertrophy routine on this site.

Sorry to report, no magic bullet today. Hard work, lot’s of good food and consistency will get you to your goal.

Now two more things…

You recommended Kingbeef’s thread to someone once… Why are you asking what you recommend to someone?

How’s the routine bluecollarworker (spl?) going?

Oh, and three: Stop asking questions and actually go to the gym?

Hi JFG,

OK well first, if I wanted to look like a vampire I’d go and pour my heart out on a die-hard twilight forum… I want to become considerably more muscular, but I wasn’t going to post a ‘how can i put on 50lbs of muscle before summer?!’ question…

second, thank you…

two more things, I recommended Kingbeefs stuff to someone, yes, but my question was just asking if I fit into a beginner or intermediate category. I’ve never actually followed a beginner routine and was contemplating a modified 5x5 programme but again, was just asking peoples thoughts on my current level.

the workout discussed with bluecollar is one I will definitely use at some point, but again, I’m asking if a beginner program might lead me to better hypertrophic gains.

and three, I do go to the gym. I’ve recently stopped playing high level sport, and now want to focus on getting bigger, and before I jump into a program, just wanted advise…

The best routine is the one that you stick with for the next 6 months. Seriously, it does not matter. As long as you are hitting all muscle groups with consistency, gains will happen provided you are eating enough.

My tip to you is to get your nutrition nailed down or else you can be wasting a lot of time in the gym. Your body can’t grow if you are burning more than you are eating.

JFG, sorry I meant to say thanks for your input (I’m a beginner), I think I might try a modified 5x5 and report back with the progress! :slight_smile:

I’m currently fasting for 20 hours, feasting for 4, at a 500 deficit for cutting, but food isn’t an issue, i’m more than happy to eat big calories! haha.

Ok so for a beginner routine, I had this laid out…

Workout A:

Squats 5x5
Incline Bench Press 5x5
Superset: Chin Ups 3x8-10 / Face Pulls 3x12-15
Superset: OH Extensions 3x8-10 / Hammer Curls 3x8-10

Workout B:

Trap Bar Deadlifts 5x5
Superset: Incline DB Press 3x8-10 / Rear Delt Flyes 3x8-10
Superset: Lateral Raises 3x12-15 / BB Curls 3x10-12
Superset: Cable Extensions 3x10-12 / Shrugs 3x10-12

(A/B/A or B/A/B split 3x a week)

does this seem ok??

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
The best routine is the one that you stick with for the next 6 months. Seriously, it does not matter. As long as you are hitting all muscle groups with consistency, gains will happen provided you are eating enough.

My tip to you is to get your nutrition nailed down or else you can be wasting a lot of time in the gym. Your body can’t grow if you are burning more than you are eating. [/quote]

Hi Ripsaw,

sorry I posted just before I saw this… yeah nutrition is not a problem, I study it at uni so I know what macros to hit and how etc…

would the routine I just posted be good for Muscle growth with some Strength in the big lifts?

Thanks,