What Rep Max Should I Go for?

I want have have big muscles, but something else almost as important to me is how much I lift. I want the pride that comes with saying “I can bench 200 pounds.” Right now, I can’t even bench above 100 pounds. So what kind of RM (1RM or 3RM for example) should I use for optimal increase in my bench number? And what RM should I use for optimal increase in muscle size? Thank you in advance.

How old are you? This really seems like something a 12-13 year old would write.

For an adult male, a 200 pound bench is laughable. The only pride you should get from it is the pride that comes from increasing it from whatever it was before.

If you’re a raw beginner, I don’t think you’ll get much out of one rep or three. You’re just not strong enough.

I hate giving generic advice to beginners. It’s been done to death. The best thing you could do is find some powerlifters, bodybuilders or strongmen (or anyone else that really has a clue) to train with. This way you’ll be making good progress while you learn what to do on your own.

for the pride thing… depends what gym your at… Ive seen many people who dont even bench 90lbs without turning bright red and most of their reps are half ass’d

I think you should also work out for yourself…then looking good :stuck_out_tongue: you shouldnt work out saying to ur self… I cant wait to find someone to brag to about how much I can bench when many people dont care lol…

Train for strength… not size. The size will come with strength provided you eat enough and work hard consistently.

You have MUCH to read my friend. Sometimes the best advice to give someone is the advice that they need to find the info themselves.

It is abundantly obvious you know absolutely nothing. Start reading. Start Training. Start Eating. Everything else is secondary…

and by the way, 200 pounds is NOTHING.

Id recommend doing weighted dips. Keeping the rep range low, under 5.

[quote]conorh wrote:
For an adult male, a 200 pound bench is laughable.[/quote]

Sadly, 200 lbs is well above average. The vast majority of people cannot bench their own bodyweight. Then a gain, most people are fat lazy slobs, so that’s not the best comparison group.

Sadly, 200 lbs is well above average. The vast majority of people cannot bench their own bodyweight. Then a gain, most people are fat lazy slobs, so that’s not the best comparison group.

Since my bodyweight is around 250lbs I probably fit squarely in the fat slob catergory…

There isnt enough weights in my gym to bench to 200lbs anyway…(seriously)

I currently use 17.5kg dumbbells to 10 - 15 reps.

To bench 200lbs I would require 35kg dumbbells (heaviest in gym are 25kg)

[quote]mt006 wrote:

There isnt enough weights in my gym to bench to 200lbs anyway…(seriously)

I currently use 17.5kg dumbbells to 10 - 15 reps.

To bench 200lbs I would require 35kg dumbbells (heaviest in gym are 25kg)

[/quote]

You work out at home, don’t you? If you are truly working out at a gym, you need to find a new one. I’ve never seen anything like that though and I have been frequenting gyms for 19 years.

You work out at home, don’t you? If you are truly working out at a gym, you need to find a new one. I’ve never seen anything like that though and I have been frequenting gyms for 19 years.

Nope - local council run gym. No deadlifts or squats. No long bars and freeweights. Just machines, dumbbells and little bits and pieces (gym balls etc).

I personally do vary my rep range but I have tendonitis in my elbow and have tried to move away from the machines as they seem to make the problem worse. 17.5kg isnt my maximum but controlling the movement and getting used to controlling the movement is currently more important than lifting heavy. Dont really want to be dropping those things on my face :wink:

Im not TS btw just joined in the discussion…

[quote]mt006 wrote:

Nope - local council run gym. No deadlifts or squats. No long bars and freeweights. Just machines, dumbbells and little bits and pieces (gym balls etc).

I personally do vary my rep range but I have tendonitis in my elbow and have tried to move away from the machines as they seem to make the problem worse. 17.5kg isnt my maximum but controlling the movement and getting used to controlling the movement is currently more important than lifting heavy. Dont really want to be dropping those things on my face :wink:

Im not TS btw just joined in the discussion…[/quote]

Ahaha! Sorry about that. I’ll have to edit that:)

Wow, sorry about your gym. I don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t squat or deadlift.

Gigaman, I think that, for you, I would recommend a good hypertrophy program. Your goals, as stated, were both strength and mass. If you PM me your email address, I will send you some of Chad Waterbury’s templates.