What Protein Powder is Best For You?

Seriously? Just google “casein protein pure” and you’ll literally find multiple within seconds.

1 Like

We’re all different, but for me something I consume daily for health-and-fitness related reasons is a battle I’ll choose every time. Especially when there are so many other options that don’t have sucralose. I hate to crap on it, but this is such a poor choice.

Now, if I’m at my Aunt Bessie’s house and she made a cake with neon-colored frosting, I’ll lay my “no artificial colors and flavors” battle aside for the moment and smile and thank her.

Totally understandable!

(I hope my post didn’t come across as combative.)

Not at all! Glad to hear your perspective.

I use pea protein bc it’s cheap and doesn’t mess with my gut like whey protein does

I can’t afford isolate

I was vegetarian for about 22 years. In the beginning soy protein was the latest and greatest. I think it adversely affected me. I would recommend pea protein as well. Great post.

1 Like

Just curious, what do you do to flavor it up? The taste isn’t for the faint-hearted.

a packet of stevia

it’s fine to me

Really? I only use pea protein and I actually like the taste (I will spoon some into my mouth) I do use flavoring though not to mask the taste but, because I only use it as a protein pudding that I mix with puffed cereal and frozen berries.

To flavor I use TN flavorings. Honestly, probably the best flavorings out there.

1 Like

Your ten dollar protein is likely crap, you curmudgeon. From an article I wrote:

China has long been a place where you can buy really cheap protein powder. They pay their workers really poorly and they don’t have to conform to any of those pesky regulations that plague American companies, so manufacturers can charge low prices and still make big profits. The trouble is, the lack of regulations allows them to cut a lot of corners.

A few years ago, Consumer Reports did a study on 15 popular whey protein powders – several of which originated in China – and found that regular use of these products could expose their consumers to toxic levels of heavy metals including arsenic, cadmium, and lead.

Not all of that contamination was intentional, though, as at least one-fifth of all farmland in China is contaminated with these aforementioned heavy metals and the cows can’t help but turn into walking chemical waste dumps.

What appears to be intentional, though, is the other contaminants routinely found in Chinese protein powders, among them melamine, a chemical compound used in the production of glues, laminates, adhesives, and flame-retardants. It does not grow muscle.

While this problem was supposedly taken care of after a huge, stateside ruckus, no one’s recently bothered to see if the use of melamine has resumed. It’s a mess. Then there’s the specter of other contaminants. Various non-protein “health” products from China have also been found to contain heavy metals, pharmaceutical drugs, and even DNA from endangered species like snow leopards.

I can’t even venture a guess as the reason for that last one.

Of course, with the advent of the trade war and the imposition of a 25% tariff on Chinese whey proteins, American manufacturers might soon be seeking alternative sources to these previously cheap Chinese proteins. Let’s just hope that the next thing they use is a little less ruinous to health.

Crime – Using Garbage Proteins

Raw whey protein concentrates (WPC) come in different “strengths,” much like erectile dysfunction drugs or mouthwash. At the low end of the scale is WPC34, which is only 34 to 36 percent protein and between 48 to 52 percent lactose. At the high end is WPC80, which is 80 to 82 percent protein and only 4 to 8 percent lactose.

Guess which one protein powder companies use when they want to save money? Guess which ones are likely prevalent in the “really good deal” two-pound tubs you see on the shelves at the drugstore?

1 Like

62 years old farm boy in the mountains upstate New York , been training since 13 eat venison, beef , eggs and drink lots of milk work out for strength and muscle always came with it . Eat, eat , eat,

I heard reports you killed yourself a bear when you was only 3: can you confirm or deny?

2 Likes

Deer in freezer last Wednesday all but the loins still in fridge rapped up on plate me and the wife cut off a little and cook as we like don’t care for bear meat

1 Like

I have a sensitivity to the dairy proteins, so I use a blended vegetable protein and add BCAA’s/EAA’s to increase the muscle building potential.

1 Like

Do you think taking resveratrol with yogurt will impair it’s absorption as well?

Been using ON Nutrition for years. Only thing that bothers me is the price continues to go up with inflation.

If it’s full-fat yogurt, I suspect it might.

Some popular collagen protein powder manufactures released their amino acid profiles that you can compare to whey and casein amino acid profiles. Are they lying or misleading in any way?

Any supplement, fitness related or otherwise, could potentially be lying/misleading as their products are not subject to FDA regulations.

Well, it’s missing tryptophan, which makes it an incomplete protein, and it’s DIASS score isn’t impressive. But there’s no reason to automatically assume they’re lying about their amino acid profiles (many of collagen’s amino acids compare favorably with whey or casein).