What Protein Powder is Best For You?

You know as well as I do that we can easily find scientific papers to confirm or refute anything. And it’s a little bit ironic that you’re defending your stance by sending me a decidedly unscientific article – one meant for popular consumption. Even so, I picked up a container of soy milk a couple of years ago that had a warning advising pregnant mothers not to drink more than some amount (I forget the exact amount), so I suspect the isoflavones are an issue. Anyhow, this really isn’t worth debating. I take no umbrage at your stance and if definitive evidence comes across, I’ll be the first to apologize. That being said, I’ll at least agree that small amounts of soy pose no threat of any kind.

3 Likes

This is the understatement of the year. Pea protein is pretty repulsive. I used to use rice protein years ago from SunWarrior. This is much better, albeit still chalky and not nearly as palatable as whey.

1 Like

interesting, thanks for posting.

Since the main effect is glucose intolerance, I’m not too scared (yet) since I’m low carb/keto mostly.

Is this a typo? Maybe “lactose”?

Non-gas producing whey isolate protein powders?
Lactose free perhaps?

No, the studies @antiquity posted state ‘glucose intolerance’. I don’t see anything to do with lactose

I always thought glucose intolerance was directly related to being diabetic.

Most everyone that keeps their weight under control and exercises regularly (most everyone on this forum) will avoid becoming Type 2 diabetic.

This seems an unnecessary concern in choosing a protein powder. But I could be wrong.

did you read the entire studies posted by @antiquity?

I did not.

It is not true that one can find scientific papers to “refute anything”. However, I do understand that much nutrition research is limited, and then overblown by the media and interested parties.
That aside, here is a meta analysis from 2020 that seems quite comprehensive.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0890623820302926?via%3Dihub

1 Like

Makes sense. FYI, article here is interesting:

Wondering if I should take Superfood near when I drink some whey…

I agree with you there is just too much junk in both whey and casein protein powder supplements, this is why I often stay with basic low fat ultra-filtered milk from Fairlife

While this is true it also isn’t hard to find protein powder supplements that are just whey, just casein, etc. if that’s what you’re after.

This is what it comes down to for me. I’ve definitely gotten lost in the minutia before, especially early on in my lifting career. I mean, who hasn’t? But I’d like to think I’m better at picking my battles these days.

I’ll keep on chuggin’ my Metabolic Drive.

1 Like

Oof, I really, really don’t want this to turn into that discussion, but from another thread, you have some interesting ideas as to what constitutes “junk.”

I suspect fat interferes with the absorption of many if not all polyphenols. Don’t think it’s the protein.

Go ahead and try to find casein protein powder without artificial sweeteners and other junk ingredients in it! Good luck with that!

How does monk fruit measure up? Also, I won’t buy anything with xanthan gum or carrageenan. These are cheap fillers that can be rough on digestion and are unnecessary. They actually put thickeners in whipping cream now? That’s just trying to increase profit margins.

I haven’t seen anything “bad” regarding monk fruit, but it can apparently cause bloating and gas. And don’t be too hard on xanthan gum and carrageenan. They can contribute to creaminess and mouth feel. There are many ice creams and salad dressings that would taste like caca without those thickeners.

I can name two companies that make such a product and this isn’t something I care about. If you can’t find casein powder without all the other additives, then you just aren’t looking that hard. Or you don’t live in the U.S.

1 Like