What Program to Run ?

Well lads i see my self as a newbie in training still but was just wondering if anyone has any advice on a good program to begin power lifting with? I’m currently just doing 5 by 5 and I’m not sure would it be wise for me to do westside just yet… All advice appreciated!

current one rep maxes :
deadlift 200kg ( 440 pounds )
bench press 105 kg (230 pounds)
squat 145 kg ( 320 pounds )
These maxes are from my last competition( which was my first)

Try any of them. With any program though, make sure you make it your own, and make it work for you instead of worrying about how strictly you adhere to the program.

5/3/1 is a great place to start.

I started with 5x5 for 6 months, then 531 for 1.5 years. I started Westside 2 weeks ago and by far am seeing the best results ever! Westside spends 80% of the volume towards bringing up your weak points. 20% of the time is spent on the big 3 lifts. Westside all the way.

It really doesn’t matter what you do. Just move heavy weight. Listen to your body each session and then push a little bit past that when the body or mind allows for it.

[quote]Max8950 wrote:
I started with 5x5 for 6 months, then 531 for 1.5 years. I started Westside 2 weeks ago and by far am seeing the best results ever! Westside spends 80% of the volume towards bringing up your weak points. 20% of the time is spent on the big 3 lifts. Westside all the way. [/quote]

What kind of results have you seen in 2 weeks?

[quote]irishboxer wrote:
Well lads i see my self as a newbie in training still but was just wondering if anyone has any advice on a good program to begin power lifting with? I’m currently just doing 5 by 5 and I’m not sure would it be wise for me to do westside just yet… All advice appreciated!

current one rep maxes :
deadlift 200kg ( 440 pounds )
bench press 105 kg (230 pounds)
squat 145 kg ( 320 pounds )
These maxes are from my last competition( which was my first)

Get over to reactivetrainingsystems .com and read like fuck. There’s a generalised intermediate program which may be slightly advanced for you at that those weights but there’s lots of info and people who can help ( and actually know what there talking about). I’ve been lifting and competing for a few years so have some experience and really wish I found this information years ago.

[quote]Max8950 wrote:
Westside spends 80% of the volume towards bringing up your weak points. 20% of the time is spent on the big 3 lifts.[/quote]

Not 100% sure this is a serious suggestion, but for purposes of edification, let’s assume it is. This is exactly what you should not do.

Best thing for you to do at this point is watch Mike Israetel’s series of lectures for Renaissance Periodization on training for raw powerlifting. These can easily be found on Youtube.

Once you’ve absorbed that info, you’ll have enough of a foundation to evaluate programs you find online, or to work on putting your own plan together.

Thanks for all the advie guys ! Maybe i should just stick to 5 by 5 till i can put up some more decent numbers! my next competition is bench and deadlift only in November so setting a goal of 220 kg deadlift and 115 bench or am I being to generous with my aims?