What Numbers to Hit at First Meet?

Look up both of them. SPF is a powerlifting federation and hook grip is a technique for holding the bar for lifts like deadlift, snatch, and clean and jerk.

1 Like

K I looked those up:

Southern Powerlifting Federation…some trouble with accessing stuff on the site from my phone so will check it next I’m using a computer.

Hook grip I’ll try next time I pick up a bar. Not sure how it will work with my missing index ray but worth trying just to see.

Thx

Not sure about your specific circumstance but I’m pretty sure the USPA (another federation) accommodate disabled athletes - i remember at one meet there was a woman who’s arm was amputated just below the elbow and she used some sort of strap while deadlifting.

I had a quick look at the USPA rulebook (p.41) and there is a section on disabled lifters - says to contact them about any special needs/ requests

Alrighty thankya much :slight_smile:

135?

The minimum weight is just the 45lb bar so a 135lb total is the minimum.

Unless you’re using a squat and deadlift bar. . . they’re heavier.

IPF and its affiliates all use just 20kg bars to my knowledge, not sure about other feds like the one you just competed in.

Anyone who mans up and enters a meet at any level is worthy of respect. Your goal at the first meet is to not bomb out. How much you lift doesn’t matter.

You will find that powerlifters will be very supportive of you especially if they know this is your first.

Good luck and welcome to the sport.