T Nation

What Now?

Hi all, im 18, 6’2", 255lbs with 18%bf, ive been lifting for 5 years, purely endo, 4 years lifting for football and 1 bodybuilding. my goal: to be as big and lean as possible.

I can see 2 options: 1) bulk up more 2)cut. so basically im just curious as too what i should do or go from here. i want to compete sometime in the near future. some background info: 2 years ago i was 275lbs with 32%bf, i spent a year cutting down to 170lbs 10%bf(basically the starvation diet with way too much cardio), then i decided to try out bodybuilding, so i spent the last year absorbing every fact possible on bodybuilding.

i think its safe to say the hobby turned into an obsession. i think i have good genetics for bodybuilding, i am naturally wide and have massive shoulders, but my bis and calves are extremely weak compared to my back and chest and quads. so, my question is, should i bulk up more to get the lagging parts to catch up, or should i cut down to get some abs and more definition? i cant post pics right now, i forgot my digital camera at college as i am home for spring break(i dont drink lol). just looking for some opinions.

at what size do you plan to compete?? are you near the level of Lean mass you will need?? If yes then cut, if your where you need/desire to be. If you need more lean mass no point in cutting and likely losing some in the process

Phill

thanks man, im pretty sure im big enough, but im just not sure if my biceps and calves are gonna hold up. i am also a horrible cutter. i always lose alot of quality mass when i cut even with a good diet full of protein. i think im gonna clean bulk for a few more weeks, then cut up. im thinkin about using an eca stack to cut. i need to lose about 23-27lbs of fat in my 14 week cut, is this possible with an eca stack, cardio, and a good diet? i also have cytomel laying around from my fathers stash i could dip into, but probably wont use. im gonna log my cut when im ready with pics.

I normally don’t reply to these threads but since you seem to be a pretty big dude already, what the hell.

Some general advice and just my opinion, others will no doubt have other ideas…

If you want to compete at some point, 6’2" and 255 18% bf probably isn’t gonna make it since you will be considerably smaller when you cut – more like 210. You need more mass at 6’2’, IMHO, and now is the time to do it. Body building is like a career – you need to set yourself up early to be where you want to be later.

I’m not going to suggest a workout routine – everyone is different. What put some serious size on me were 8-12 week bursts of training with brutally heavy weights while still managing my form.

You will find that many guys on this site are rabidly against HIT and ‘training till failure’, but it works really well for me. But be careful, it does take a toll on your nervous system, that’s why you have to cycle it by “cruising” for a while after an HIT cycle.

As for diet, I eat A LOT of damn near anything I want when bulking. The only thing I really worry about is avoiding ingesting high glycemic index carbs if I am eating fats in the same meal – no need to spike the insulin and slam the lipid calories into my fat cells if I can avoid it. Other than that almost anything goes. This puts some meat on my bones, and I’m not talking about ‘clean bulking’ 2 or 3 pounds over a year here. That will take you 10 years to put on 20 pounds. Fuck that. Again, my opinion.

I am 6’1" and I was 274 at the end of my last bulk. You might consider taking it up high like that and holding it there for a while as your body adjusts. You’ll find yourself setting new personal maximums on your lifts. You’ll be a behemoth, but you’ll be pretty smooth as you’ll be carrying some fat too.

You are a little taller than me so you might find that at about 280 you’ll feel pretty heavy and you’ll get the urge to carve away the Crisco and reveal all of the muscle you have worked so hard for.

This is a head game dude. Train intensely and consistently, eat big and lift heavy during a bulk. A lot of people don’t like to hear that and try to turn bodybuilding onto something complicated, but it really is pretty simple.

For fuck’s sake don’t starve yourself and go down to 170 again. Dial it down slowly over 16 or 20 weeks when you cut. And supplements do help with the cutting, but it is the diet, day in and day out, that you have to stick with. The gyms are filled with big strong guys who are covered up with a layer of fat becasue they lack the discipline required to diet after a bulk. The training is fun, but the diet is what separates the men from the boys. Remember that.

Just some random thoughts from another big dog with some miles under his belt…
Good luck!
P.S. Why are your biceps a problem if you are “wide”? How can that be if you are rowing heavy to be wide?

[quote]At Large wrote:
I normally don’t reply to these threads but since you seem to be a pretty big dude already, what the hell.

Some general advice and just my opinion, others will no doubt have other ideas…

If you want to compete at some point, 6’2" and 255 18% bf probably isn’t gonna make it since you will be considerably smaller when you cut – more like 210. You need more mass at 6’2’, IMHO, and now is the time to do it. Body building is like a career – you need to set yourself up early to be where you want to be later.

I’m not going to suggest a workout routine – everyone is different. What put some serious size on me were 8-12 week bursts of training with brutally heavy weights while still managing my form.

You will find that many guys on this site are rabidly against HIT and ‘training till failure’, but it works really well for me. But be careful, it does take a toll on your nervous system, that’s why you have to cycle it by “cruising” for a while after an HIT cycle.

As for diet, I eat A LOT of damn near anything I want when bulking. The only thing I really worry about is avoiding ingesting high glycemic index carbs if I am eating fats in the same meal – no need to spike the insulin and slam the lipid calories into my fat cells if I can avoid it. Other than that almost anything goes. This puts some meat on my bones, and I’m not talking about ‘clean bulking’ 2 or 3 pounds over a year here. That will take you 10 years to put on 20 pounds. Fuck that. Again, my opinion.

I am 6’1" and I was 274 at the end of my last bulk. You might consider taking it up high like that and holding it there for a while as your body adjusts. You’ll find yourself setting new personal maximums on your lifts. You’ll be a behemoth, but you’ll be pretty smooth as you’ll be carrying some fat too.

You are a little taller than me so you might find that at about 280 you’ll feel pretty heavy and you’ll get the urge to carve away the Crisco and reveal all of the muscle you have worked so hard for.

This is a head game dude. Train intensely and consistently, eat big and lift heavy during a bulk. A lot of people don’t like to hear that and try to turn bodybuilding onto something complicated, but it really is pretty simple.

For fuck’s sake don’t starve yourself and go down to 170 again. Dial it down slowly over 16 or 20 weeks when you cut. And supplements do help with the cutting, but it is the diet, day in and day out, that you have to stick with. The gyms are filled with big strong guys who are covered up with a layer of fat becasue they lack the discipline required to diet after a bulk. The training is fun, but the diet is what separates the men from the boys. Remember that.

Just some random thoughts from another big dog with some miles under his belt…
Good luck!
P.S. Why are your biceps a problem if you are “wide”? How can that be if you are rowing heavy to be wide?

[/quote]

Best.Post. There really isn’t anything to add.