What Muscles are Really the Strongest?

Holding grip and crushing grip are two totally different things. I have superman holding grip, yet my crushing grip is not that great.

I’m basing the strongest on the most motor units per area, and that’s the suboccipitals. I do ART, as a Level 3 provider. And the toughest muscles to work on are probably the suboccipitals. They are so dense and tough. Now an 800 pound squatters quad’s are tough, but that’s due to the massive about of, well, mass.

The suboccipitals have app. 3X the amount of motor units per area. And as for postural, they are partly that, but they also provide movement, especially in the case of the superior and inferior obliques. Half of your neck’s rotation is accomplished from the occiput to C2.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
Dude, there is no way a NECK muscle is going to be the strongest. Why does it need to be that strong? It doesn’t.[/quote]

Dude, they have to support your head, Dude. Which is app 15 pounds, and they do it all day without tiring, in most cases.

Do you do myofascial work and have you ever worked on them? If you did you would know what I’m talking about.

I don’t dispute your findings, but other than they fact that “they’re tough” and “they don’t get tired,” what evidence do you have of this massive strength? A muscle doesn’t have to be strong to have great fatigue-resistance. My intercostals work all day long but no one would say they are particularly strong. Moreover, why would the body just have a superstrong muscle in such a weird position for no reason? Making a muscle strong takes energy, which the body doens’t like to spend if it can get around it, so there would have to be some justification for this strength.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
I don’t dispute your findings, but other than they fact that “they’re tough” and “they don’t get tired,” what evidence do you have of this massive strength? A muscle doesn’t have to be strong to have great fatigue-resistance. My intercostals work all day long but no one would say they are particularly strong. Moreover, why would the body just have a superstrong muscle in such a weird position for no reason? Making a muscle strong takes energy, which the body doens’t like to spend if it can get around it, so there would have to be some justification for this strength.[/quote]

I’m basing it on more motor units per area as I said a few times already. They have app. 3 times more than your standard fast twitch hip and hamstring muscles. More motor units means more contractile ability.

And it’s not in a weird area. It’s very important to support your head. And move your head. and my subjective rating of these are very tough dense muscles is from app. 20 years of working on this stuff. Combined with the old motor untis per area.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
I don’t dispute your findings, but other than they fact that “they’re tough” and “they don’t get tired,” what evidence do you have of this massive strength? A muscle doesn’t have to be strong to have great fatigue-resistance. My intercostals work all day long but no one would say they are particularly strong. Moreover, why would the body just have a superstrong muscle in such a weird position for no reason? Making a muscle strong takes energy, which the body doens’t like to spend if it can get around it, so there would have to be some justification for this strength.

I’m basing it on more motor units per area as I said a few times already. They have app. 3 times more than your standard fast twitch hip and hamstring muscles. More motor units means more contractile ability.

And it’s not in a weird area. It’s very important to support your head. And move your head. and my subjective rating of these are very tough dense muscles is from app. 20 years of working on this stuff. Combined with the old motor untis per area.
[/quote]

Your neck also has to be able to absorb a lot of shock.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I’m basing it on more motor units per area as I said a few times already. They have app. 3 times more than your standard fast twitch hip and hamstring muscles. More motor units means more contractile ability.[/quote]

Not if all those motor units are slow twitch.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
blunt wrote:
ive always heard that size to power comparison the tongue dropkicks all other muscles.

Isn’t it the jaw?[/quote]

I believe the jaw has the best leverage.

I think the amount of force a muscle is capable of applying OR maximum intramuscular tension would be better things to consider than motor units per unit of area. The latter is merely a hint about possible strength, while the former is a direct measurement of it.

check out what some strong jaws can do, guy bends a dime with ease.

Its not a trick he is tommy heslep, one of few men certified CoC #4 closer and other various strongman stuff.

The Yoke man.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm