What Motivates You?

When you know you need to get 5 more reps for a set, when you look at the squat bar and wonder if you can finish your set…what motivates you?

What do you think of to get you fired up to dominate that set…to dominate that rep…

Just curious to what other people think of…my past technique really isnt working as well.

I just think to myself…“Why the hell not?” and go for it.

well , when I am down to the last 8 reps of a 20 rep squat, I usually start counting down rather than up. Actually , i do this whenever I squat or dead. It really helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Other than that, only you know what motivates you.

I think to myself, this is how the big guys got big, by pushing themselves that extra bit - and then I just do it.

my motivation comes from the fact that by finishing my exercise, I become physically, mentally, and emotionally stronger than you.

strength isn’t just physical.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
my motivation comes from the fact that by finishing my exercise, I become physically, mentally, and emotionally stronger than you.

strength isn’t just physical.[/quote]

take it easy there chief…at 170 5’8, chances are you’re not

I just set a number that is reasonable to do and I WILL do it or fail trying there is no thinking.

Hmmmm…nothing really. I just go in there and do it. Action > thinking.

I think to myself, “do i want to look like this for the rest of my life? If not, i HAVE to do this final rep”

Form, if I can hold the form I can do one more. I can’t imagine not doing one more if I’m still holding good form.

There’s no such thing as perfect, but there is such a thing as the pursuit of perfection. Perfection is my goal and that requires pursuit.

[quote]xvsanta42 wrote:
take it easy there chief…at 170 5’8, chances are you’re not[/quote]

don’t get all riled up homeboy, I wasn’t challenging you, it wasn’t meant at you personally. it’s a statement I keep in mind when I do any sort of competitive activity, like sports or weightlifting. motivational, ya know?

This has never really been an issue for me. I don’t really think in the middle of a set, I just kind of keep focused on keeping tight the whole time, that’s my biggest concern, I lose tightness the moment I stop thinking about it.

I break it down into smaller numbers in my head. With higher reps I’ll count the reps in groups of four or something. If I’m going for five reps and its gonna be tough, I’ll get the first two out of the way then think of it as a set of three rather than five. It just makes it seem more manageable.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Hmmmm…nothing really. I just go in there and do it. Action > thinking.[/quote]

Same here. I try not to think at all because when I think,I hesitate.

Motivation is for pussies.

Two things:

• All the money you spend on supps.
  • How close the summer is.

Not to mention that if you managed to drag your ass out to the gym, might as well make the best out of it…

Where is that article about going out into the woods and finding an abandoned cabin with a bunch of concrete weights in it?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Two things:

• All the money you spend on supps.
  • How close the summer is.

Not to mention that if you managed to drag your ass out to the gym, might as well make the best out of it…[/quote]

Seriously?

winning, to better than everyone

[quote]rsg wrote:
I think to myself, this is how the big guys got big, by pushing themselves that extra bit - and then I just do it.[/quote]

Similar thing for me.

When you’re close to failure, that’s when you’re making a difference. Every one rep you can push out is worth 10 ‘normal’ reps.
That ‘extra yard’ is what will make the difference.