What more can I eat?????

Hey guys,
I am 31, in Grad school, weigh 145 lbs, and stand 5’6". I train 4 times a week. I want to gain about 15 pounds more and this is what I eat in the order from morning to evening:
06.00 AM 1 banana before workout
08.00 AM French omelette with 3 egss and 1 eggwhite about
11.30 4 slices of brown bread with one can of tuna for lunch
02.30 One turkeybread sandwich
04.00 1/2 cup of potato salad and 1 cup yoghurt
06.30 1/2 cup cottage cheese and one big slice of tuna or chicken
09.00 one turkey breast sandwich with peanut buttter
10.30 One glass of milk.

How many calories is all this? Well, yesterday I found its less than 2000!! Man, What more can I eat? I want to get big, but what more can I do? I read articles where youre supposed to eat more than 4000 cals, but where can i fit this in and what can I alter? HELP…!!!

You can eat MORE FOOD. That’s usually a good start. Ever heard of red meat? Potatoes? Oatmeal? Natty PB? Maybe throw in a protein shake before bed, too? Increase the amount of cottage cheese?

Check out the FAQ. As well as articles like, Foods That Make You Look Good Nekkid and John Berardi’s Massive Eating for some more ideas.

Patricia is right. Throw in 2-3 protein shakes a day and add some natural peanut butter. This should give you a good increase.

musl,

why not add more eggs. i love eggs and eat about 8 to 12 of them per day. especially the yummy cholestrol filled yellow part! :slight_smile:

but seriously, i equate 1 protien shake to 2 eggs. instead of 2 to 3 shakes eat 4 to 6 eggs. real food is always better.

I second Patricia’s post! EAT more! Why 3 eggs and 1 egg white? Eat more eggs, red meat, oatmeal, brown rice. Add oils and fats.

BTW, the thought of turkey breast and PB almost made me lose my lunch!

Lilthrock,
I have a difficult time understanding how you can train and eat so little! (Mind you I have been known to eat 4000Cal while dieting - I’m currently having ~ 3600 per day)
Maybe I’m not the guy to ask, but here’s what I would say:

1. Eat more! (Increase portion sizes gradually).
  2. Don’t avoid all dietry fat- get your good fats in but don’t be afraid of “fat” in general.
  3. Make sure your training is geared to your needs. (this might mean cutting down on aerobic activity for a while). Remember, diet and weght training / CV work need to be balanced toward your current need. Things (goals) change and so should your tactics.
  4. Read, read, read! Forget most of what’s out there, stick with T mag and authors with a “T” pedigree. Almost anything written by a “name” bodybuilder is crap.
    Hope you progress, reach your goals and set higher ones.
    Old Dax

As a guy who also has a weak stomach (I’m the guy who will go to a buffet and still have only one plate… ), I find olive oil helps TREMENDOUSLY! Simply add lots of it when cooking eggs, and the calories will sky rocket. Also, drink milk EVERY meal if possible. Any other calorie dense liquid should be guzzled too.

Please don’t bother to read any of the articles. That would be too easy.

500cal x 6meals = 3000cal

thanks for all the advice guys, very good indeed! I thot I was doing all I can, and Im scared of eating too much fat, because I dont want to put on any fat, so are there any alternatives?

ALOHA!! FROM WHAT I SEE, AT FIRST IMPRESSION IT SEEMS YOU NEED MORE CALORIES, PROTEIN AND ESSENTIAL FATS. YOU SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER WHEY PROTEIN SHAKES YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND. I TOOK YOUR DIET AND TWEAKED IT A BIT. THIS IS A LOT OF WHAT MY OWN DAILY DIET LOOKS LIKE, AND IM FEMALE, 5’3" AND WEIGH 118# AND AM SLENDER. I HAVE A SLOW METABOLISM, BUT AM VERY VERY VERY ACTIVE AND TRAIN VERY, VERY HEAVY FOR MY WEIGHT, SO YOU MAY NEED TO TWEAK THIS EVEN MORE BECAUSE YOU MAY NEED MORE CALORIES THAN THIS. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF HOW FAST THEIR METABOLISM IS. ONE WAY TO TWEAK IT IS TO SPREAD YOUR SANDWICH TOASTS/BREADS/WRAPS WITH NATURAL NUT BUTTERS BEFORE ADDING FILLINGS, OR SPRINKLE YOUR VEGGIES WITH FLAX SEED OR EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL. ANOTHER WAY IS TO ADD 1/2 TO 1 CUP OR SO OF FAT FREE COTTAGE CHEESE TO A MEAL, MIXED INTO YOUR CHILI OR OATMEAL, TOPPED ONTO YOUR SALADS OR AS AN EXTRA SNACK. IF IM GETTING TOO THIN, I EAT AN EXTRA TABLESPOON OR TWO OF NATURAL ALMOND BUTTER WITH A SPOON OUT OF THE CONTAINER–VERY VERY YUMMY, OR ADD AVOCADO SLIVERS TO SALADS AND SANDWICHES. I GO WITH THE FATS BECAUSE I USUALLY GET THIN WHEN I’M SLIGHTLY OVERTRAINED AND MY SKIN AND HAIR GETS DRIER SO I KNOW MY CELLS NEED THE ESSENTIAL FATS. I OBTAIN MY ALMOND, PEANUT, CASHEW AND MACADAMIA NUT BUTTERS FROM A LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE, WHERE THE NUTS ARE WHOLE AND YOU GRIND THE BUTTER YOURSELF…AND THE BUTTERS NEED TO REMAIN REFRIGERATED AND THE OILS STIRRED BACK INTO THE BUTTER EVERYTIME BEFORE EATING. THESE BUTTERS ARE VERY RICH DELICIOUS, BTW. ANOTHER WAY TO ADD MORE CALORIES/PROTEIN IS THE EAT A LOT OF STEAKS! OF COURSE THE EASIEST, MOST CONVIENENT AND ECONOMIC WAY TO GET MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK PROTEIN WISE IS TO ADD WHEY PROTEIN SHAKES. THE FOLLOWING CALORIE/PROTEIN CALCULATIONS ARE APPROXIMATE, BTW. ANYWAY, HERE IS YOUR DIET TWEAKED UP:

meal 1: BANANA PROTEIN SHAKE: 1 banana, 1 cup skim milk, 4 ounces of water, 2 scoops whey protein powder blended with ice cubes (~450 calories, ~46 or so grams protein)

CARDIO

meal 2: OMELETTE/PROTEIN OATMEAL: eight egg whites scrambled with some milk; 1 cup oatmeal mixed with 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 scoop whey protein and 1T. natural raw almond butter (~397 calories, ~56 grams protein)

HEAVY WEIGHT TRAINING

meal 3: POST-WORKOUT SHAKE: 16 ounces orange juice, two scoops whey protein, whatever powdered/liquid supplements you like (ie: bcaa, flax, glutamine, creatine), ice cubes in a shaker (~460 calories, ~24 grams protein

meal 4: TWO OPEN FACED SANDWICHES: 2 slices of toasted whole wheat nutty brown bread, one can water packed tuna mixed with 1T. flax seed oil and finely chopped red onion (~570 calories, ~35 grams protein)

meal 5: TORTILLA ROLL/FRUITY COTTAGE CHEESE: 1 whole wheat tortilla, chopped turkey breast mixed with 1T. flax seed or extra virgin olive oil, chopped celery and chopped tomato; 1 cup fat free cottage cheese with one teaspoon fruit-only raspberry jam (~480 calories, ~30-40 grams protein)

meal 6: Broiled ahi or salmon or chicken breast or steak- brushed with extra virgin olive oil and seasoned; steamed vegetables or raw salad with balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkled with 1T. sunflower raw seeds (~350 calories, ~20-30 grams of protein, depending on portion sizes)

meal 7: SHAKE: 2 scoops stawberry or chocolate whey protein powder blended with water and ice cubes, ZMA, multivitamins, C-complex with C (~220 calories, ~44 grams protein)

~2927 calories, ~245-265 grams protein depending on portions

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DIET AND TRAINING!! MUCH LOVE AND ALOHA, MICHELLE:)

if your trying to put on weight and muscle you need to eat alot more carbs. Carbs dont fill you up as much as fat hence you eat more. Start eating!!!

No offense but you eat like a baby. You weigh 145 dude. Eat friggin everything! Eating is the easy part, but you have to eat.

At your height you should be able to pack it on easy.

I also disagree with chinadoll’s diet recco’s. Especially the post workout nutrtion. post WO I want you to get at least 40-60 grams protein and 120 grams carbs from either maltodextrin or dextrose or both. Then 1.5-2 hrs later I want you to get another 40-60 grams protein and another 120 grams carbs from real food.

If you want to gain muscle post WO nutrion is the most important thing. Don’t skimp on the carbs. Load those suckers in your body. Understand this, if you don’t eat those two meals that way after you workout, forget about ever gaining any muscle. You will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Also, read the magazine attached to this forum. It’s not like I’m knowledgeable or anything I just read it too. The shit actually works. Read Massive Eating, Foods that Make you Look Good Nekkid, & 7 habits of highly effective nutrition programs.

Also, I might reccomend The Skinny Bastard Diet in your case.

The bottom line is, you don’t eat enough, and you definately don’t read enough.

Yeah, right after I posted, I re-read my post and it’s kinda too skimpy for him. I have thyroid disease and really really really have to watch everything VERY CAREFULLY, and my diet’s not the norm, and also I’m a medical professional and have additional motives when planning diet. But he’s young and healthy, so he can afford more. My ex was 6’6" tall with a very fast metabolism and a hard gainer, so he ate crazy-huge portions of high-quality food, used whole milk, whole eggs, etc. Its all individual. I know i’m in hawaii, but one thing he did was use coconut milk in his protein shakes, which added a huge amount of fat and calories, and he gained more quickly. There’s a great recipe book called MUSCLE MEALS that helps if you have run out of ideas for meals.

ps. error…the post workout protein was 48 grams

You can’t do both,gain weight and stay slim. increase your food intake which will help you gain,then if you have to T-dawg for a couple of weeks,no big deal

lilthrock YOU CAN maintain BF and gain weight (LBM) at the same time. I’m doing it right now. I’ve definitely gained LBM and actually lost BF at the same time. My body weight has gone up about 6lbs in the past month. Thats without any pro-hormones. The only things I’m supping with are Hot Rox, ZMA and $urge along with the usual fish oil and Multi. Although a little pricy, because its only 10 servings per bottle, $urge is definitely a great supplement to add to your workout. Thib told me to drink 1/2 during the workout then finish it off right after. Since we’re both on the little side of the spectrum, 5’6"ish we can push out a few extra servings of $urge. The last thing that I make sure I do is to hit my body weight in grams of protein sometimes a little extra if I can fit it in.

My diet isnt the best in the world. I’m a chocoholic so I have a little piece of chocolate everyday. Sometimes on the weekend I give in and have a row of chocolate chip cookies. I don’t over do it everyday but I make sure I don’t deprive myself either. A little here and there keeps me away from over doing it.

DON’T believe the false idea that you cant gain mass and lose BF at the same time.

Dangnammit. Look at all the misinformation you’re receiving. With the exception of greekdawg.

You need to eat. MORE.

You need to get rid of your fear of gaining some fat as you try to bulk. Expect to gain some fat.

Bulking does not mean it’s time to eat like a uncontrolled hog. Make sure the majority of your calories are good sources of protein and carbs.

Yes, postworkout is VERY important.

If you’re bulking, protein shakes are STILL supplementing a diet of mostly FOOD.

Train heavier and with the intention of packing it on. In other words; FOCUS on what you need to do in the gym.

READ. READ the articles greekdawg recommended. Since as you can see, you can even be mislead in this forum. It’s time to study, and learn what YOU need to do for YOU.

I don’t think that lithrock really needs to gain LBM-- he just needs to gain M! As in MASS! Don’t be afraid of fats-- do some reading on flax, fish, and other omega-3s. These fats do not make you fat… don’t be scared. I too have a small frame-- I’m only 5’8". I weighed 135lbs in 2001, and today I am 190lbs. If you want to gain LBM, open your eyes. Every BBer on every circuit has an off season and a contest season. In the off season they EAT and gain MASS, then pre-contest they cut down, and voila-- lean body mass. This is by far the most efficient way to gain LBM.

Here are a few tips: Make cottage cheese your best friend. I eat at least 3-4 lbs per week. Eat nuts.

And most importantly, READ the articles on this site. The new one that came up this week is great. Diet Planning for the Long Haul.