T Nation

What Method of Training is This?

I’m not sure if what i do is a particular method of training or not. For example with flat bench’s. I start out with a weight that i can handle for 12-14 reps,the last 2 being tuff to push out. I leave the weight the same resting for 45-60 secs. The reps drop off about 1-2 per set so that the 10th set is down to 2-3. I’m not sure if this is an established form of training or just something i feel comfortable with.Any input would be appreciated.

thanx

The 10 set scheme is similar to German Volume Training.

But who cares. Just lift.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
The 10 set scheme is similar to German Volume Training.
[/quote]

This is correct, but more importantly such training will usually only increase strength endurance and do little to nothing for your strength. So, if your goal is to build muscle, switch to a routine that allows you to increase your ability to lift heavier weights.

thanx for the input.actually my goal is to maintain size while getting more dense and cut.i just don’t want to loose any size.

If each exercise requires 10 sets, how many exercises do you do in a workout? I read that you should not have more than 20 sets in a single workout.

[quote]that new guy wrote:
If each exercise requires 10 sets, how many exercises do you do in a workout? I read that you should not have more than 20 sets in a single workout.[/quote]

Ye but that’s why your name is that new guy… Because you regurgitate stupid ass comments like that…

[quote]Angelot wrote:
thanx for the input.actually my goal is to maintain size while getting more dense and cut.i just don’t want to loose any size.[/quote]

I think most experienced trainees will agree that the key to muscle density is lifting heavy weight over a period of years, not strength-endurance work.

[quote]Angelot wrote:
thanx for the input.actually my goal is to maintain size while getting more dense and cut.i just don’t want to loose any size.[/quote]

Forgot to mention that getting “cut” is primarily a function of your diet, and it’s important to lift heavy (relative to your strength level) to maintain muscle while dieting.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

If each exercise requires 10 sets, how many exercises do you do in a workout? I read that you should not have more than 20 sets in a single workout.[/quote]

Ye but that’s why your name is that new guy… Because you regurgitate stupid ass comments like that… [/quote]
Which part of my question do you think is stupid? The part of me asking how many exercises the OP is doing or my ability to recall something that I have read in the past.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Ye but that’s why your name is that new guy… Because you regurgitate stupid ass comments like that… [/quote]
Which part of my question do you think is stupid? The part of me asking how many exercises the OP is doing or my ability to recall something that I have read in the past.[/quote]

The part where you said you shouldn’t do more than 20 sets. That’s just dumb. Go read some training logs, tell the people in the gym for 2 hours, who are 245 pounds, and tell them it’s not working.

Read up on German Volume Training. There is at least one article on this site about it.

You should never let sets limit you. You should go by your level of intensity in those sets.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

Read up on German Volume Training. There is at least one article on this site about it.

You should never let sets limit you. You should go by your level of intensity in those sets.
[/quote]

Yesterday was a deadlift day for me (5/3/1) So I got in there, did my daedlifts, and got out. About 5 sets altogether. Had a busy day, didn’t really feel like lifting, so that was it. (Almost broke a PR dead too… . damn it)

But 2 days before that I had a 25+ set upper body day . . and it was awesome.

Go by your body’s physiology, if you feel good, lift. Stop doing what some idiot in a book said you should be doing, or you will end up looking like you read lots of books.

P.S - If you want to go by what some guy says, read some of Thib’s stuff on this site, that will get some sense into you.