T Nation

What Makes You Not Trust Someone?

My old man used to tell me that he would never trust a man with a weak handshake. I’ve come to not trust a man that crosses his legs at the knees. My buddy doesn’t trust a man that checks for dirt under his nails with the palm down. Anyone else on here have an irrational reason to distrust a person?

mike

Being human? I don’t really trust anyone. When I work in groups I demand to do all the work or not have it submitted until everything meets my expectations. I’m hard to work with, but aside from that not being very trusting of others has kept me out of a lot of bad situations.

I dont trust anyone that doesnt like dogs.

My old man said it best- don’t trust any man who never drinks.

People who have no respect for life.

Are disrespectful like talking shit about people all the time.

Ass kissers.

My gut feeling.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
My old man said it best- don’t trust any man who never drinks.[/quote]

I like this one… Very well, Irish.

Its not a particular detail im looking for or not looking for, but I’m a very intuitive person, and if I get a bad feeling off someone, I will never trust them, ever. They could save my mother from a train, and it would make no difference.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
My old man used to tell me that he would never trust a man with a weak handshake. I’ve come to not trust a man that crosses his legs at the knees. My buddy doesn’t trust a man that checks for dirt under his nails with the palm down. Anyone else on here have an irrational reason to distrust a person?

mike[/quote]

I wouldn’t call it irrational, but I try to read people’s expressions. If their expressions don’t match the circumstances, then I suspect they are up to something. There’s also a thing called micro-expressions that supposedly can’t be disguised. The propblem is micro-expressions last an instant, so you have to be quick.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,60232,00.html

Some of these “reasons” for not trusting someone are absolutely absurd.

[quote]Angrypenguin wrote:
I dont trust anyone that doesnt like dogs.[/quote]

Conversely, I don’t trust anyone that my dog doesn’t like.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Some of these “reasons” for not trusting someone are absolutely absurd.[/quote]

I feel fortunate to have many true friends but I really only trust my brother and my wife. Trusting other people is just dangerous IMO. I just feel most things are better kept to myself.

I don’t trust people who have no sense of humor. It makes me think they’re evil and/or stupid.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
My old man said it best- don’t trust any man who never drinks.[/quote]

True enough, cant trust em

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
I wouldn’t call it irrational, but I try to read people’s expressions. If their expressions don’t match the circumstances, then I suspect they are up to something. There’s also a thing called micro-expressions that supposedly can’t be disguised. The propblem is micro-expressions last an instant, so you have to be quick.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,60232,00.html [/quote]

This is what I use. There are a few cues that people inadvertently do when they lie.
Looking away, touching their face, covering their mouth very briefly, nervous smiling. People have a bunch of tells.

It’s funny. I busted a dude last week trying to rip off a bunch of our tools at our jobsite. Just his mannerisms alone told everybody that he did it.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
I feel fortunate to have many true friends but I really only trust my brother and my wife. Trusting other people is just dangerous IMO. I just feel most things are better kept to myself.[/quote]

Thats well and good and I can understand that but to actually say and believe in not trusting someone because of how they cross their legs or checking for dirt under their finger nails the wrong way, is borderline psychotic.

Thats as asinine as it gets.

Why would you trust anyone other than yourself?

I must admit I trust my wife and my children (weakness).

[quote]PGA wrote:
Some of these “reasons” for not trusting someone are absolutely absurd.[/quote]

For real. I could care less how someone checks for dirt under their nails when it comes to trusting them. There are very few people that I actually trust anyway and that is because they have proven to not just be living for themselves and we have been there for each other time and time again over years. They have PROVEN they can be trusted.

For the record, one of them never drinks alcohol. I guess that would mean some here wouldn’t trust him…even though he is literally one of the most truthful people I have ever met.

Most people are living completely for themselves. They only speak to you because they feel they can get something from you. Types like that can never be trusted. Sadly, that is what makes up the majority of the people on the planet.

[quote]escot4 wrote:
I don’t trust people who have no sense of humor. It makes me think they’re evil and/or stupid.[/quote]

What happens if you just aren’t funny?

[quote]escot4 wrote:
I don’t trust people who have no sense of humor. It makes me think they’re evil and/or stupid.[/quote]

I don’t trust people who laugh when they tell me something. Especially if what they told me isn’t supposed to be funny.

I don’t trust people who say, “Trust me.”

I don’t trust someone when they break my trust.

wtf ? not trust them with what ? getting your package there overnight ? replacing your ball joints ? watching your kids ? trust is not a debit situation. in my book everyone starts @ zero, including me.