What Makes Low Reps Better for Strength?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
amphibian wrote:
Shite Hanley, that tops 3XBW in the squat according to your profile. You fekking BEAST.

Thanks! It’s in single ply gear tho. It’s not hugely insane or anything![/quote]

you ever think a getting into multi-ply gear?

[quote]Kerley wrote:
Hanley wrote:
amphibian wrote:
Shite Hanley, that tops 3XBW in the squat according to your profile. You fekking BEAST.

Thanks! It’s in single ply gear tho. It’s not hugely insane or anything!

you ever think a getting into multi-ply gear?[/quote]

Yup… we got an EliteFTS mono in my gym a couple of months back too which makes it even more tempting!! I’ve some unfinished business in single ply gear to take care of first… I’ll get next years national champs in as a junior, and hopefully the Euros too.

Might get some multiply gear after that.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Hanley wrote:
I’ve had great success in increasing my squat strength thru higher reps… 6-12’s like.

Can you go into a bit more detail please?

If you don’t mind that is.

K well when I was doing DC from October or so '08 to Jan '09 I did the following squats;
170kg x12
180kg x11
200kg x5
210kg x6 w/ wraps
207.5kg x4
220kg x5 w/wraps

20 rep widow maker at the end of each, also did Hammer Strength leg presses for 8-12 and 1x20 on my other leg day, and used front squats (5-8) plus Hacks (for 20) on my final leg day.

Lots of reps, and a bit squat increase (272.5kg in comp in July 2008 to 305kg w/10kg to spare in April '09)[/quote]

Thanks, and yeah I agree you’re a beast. Very interesting, and very cool.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Kerley wrote:
Hanley wrote:
amphibian wrote:

Yup… we got an EliteFTS mono in my gym a couple of months back too which makes it even more tempting!! I’ve some unfinished business in single ply gear to take care of first… I’ll get next years national champs in as a junior, and hopefully the Euros too.

Might get some multiply gear after that.[/quote]

well see a 800lbs squat then :wink:

[quote]Kerley wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Kerley wrote:
Hanley wrote:
amphibian wrote:

Might get some multiply gear after that.

well see a 800lbs squat then ;)[/quote]

You’ll see an 800 single ply squat.

Might take 2 years, but you’ll see it. I went from 600 to attempting 700 in less than 9 months last year.

Its really not as simple as this rep range for strength this rep range for hypertrophy and this is for endurance. It depending on the the person, goals, training career etc.

Think about this… personally, my 8rm is always 75% of my 1rm, 5rm is 80%, 3rm is 90%. Every lb I increase my 75% by is worth more when scaled up to 100% than every lb I increase my 90% by.

[quote]TomMartin wrote:
Think about this… personally, my 8rm is always 75% of my 1rm, 5rm is 80%, 3rm is 90%. Every lb I increase my 75% by is worth more when scaled up to 100% than every lb I increase my 90% by.[/quote]

what?

[quote]TomMartin wrote:
Think about this… personally, my 8rm is always 75% of my 1rm, 5rm is 80%, 3rm is 90%. Every lb I increase my 75% by is worth more when scaled up to 100% than every lb I increase my 90% by.[/quote]

lolwut

Funny phenomenon…at the early stages of training you gain best from going low to moderate reps on the big stuff and higher reps on the auxiliary stuff (arms, abs, etc…)

When you get stronger, you can sometimes progress better from higher reps on the big stuff and going heavier on the auxiliaries. High rep squats and deadlifts in particular, for whatever reason, seem like they can direcctly impact your max strength in those same lifts.

I once went a few months without doing a work set of squats less than 12 reps. When I went back down to 1-5 reps in the squat, my strength reached new heights extremely quickly. With pulls, although I never went that high in reps, I found that pulling for reps was the missing ingredient in keeping the lift moving.

On the other hand, I know several guys who have found that when their arm growth stalls after they get pretty big (17-18 inches or bigger), multiple low-rep sets (like 3-5) are the ticket and the things explode after they switch their training to that style.

Whether it’s because of the different stimulus or some other factor I don’t know, and don’t really care. But it isn’t universally true to say something like low reps for strength, high reps for hypertrophy or anything like that. If only it were that simple…

[quote]nik133 wrote:
TomMartin wrote:
Think about this… personally, my 8rm is always 75% of my 1rm, 5rm is 80%, 3rm is 90%. Every lb I increase my 75% by is worth more when scaled up to 100% than every lb I increase my 90% by.

lolwut[/quote]

From a calculation perspective it makes sense…

Assume a max of 100lb, take 90%, 85% and 75%, add 5lb onto each, and then recalculate the max. 5lb on 75% is good for approx. 1lb higher per 100lb than 5lb on 90%.

Strength is all about “practice” Sure, a huge portion of strength is neural and contractile, but much of strength; especially for beginners is motor control. And if you want to learn something, you want to do it perfect, and do it many times. So mutliple sets are generally better than single sets. Also, in general, MAX STRING or 1RM strength doens’t have a very large metabolic component to it. 6-12 RM STRENGTH has a much bigger metabolic component to it.

So… Lifting in the 1-3rm range will mainly only be limited by technique, and neural capabilities, whereas lifting in the 6-12 range will be more limited by technique and metabolic capabilities. If you are someone that has poor metabolic capabilities, and train in the 6-12 rep range, then you are going to be sacrificing your strength gains.

More important than anything though; IMO, is you have to train for YOUR sport. Since a PL’er is all about lifting max weight for 1 perfect rep, they tend to “practice” with low reps. If you were in a sport where you have to squat or deadlift for higher reps, then you better “practice” higher reps; even though max strength may be better improved with lower reps.

***For myself recently, I have found that I dont handle volume so well, and make much better gains when I get reps in at >90% of my 1rm. So I tend to keep my big lifts to singles, doulbes and triples, and leave the higher rep stuff to my acessory work.

Depends on what you consider strength.

Haven’t been able to bench since April with an odd shoulder injury. Was still able to dip and overhead press, so I did those. Overhead press was 5/3/1 and most of the time reps were above 5. Dips were high reps (15+) and high volume (5 sets at least)

Steadily done some benching over the last fortnight, nothing heavy. Until Friday, when I close-gripped within a rep of a PR set just before the injury. That PR was set with a normal width grip.

This might be alittle off base but hear me out.

Low reps with a heavy weight will allow you to do more sets,8x3 for example.While higher reps will train you to build endurance and get a pump.

So doing low reps will train your body and CNS to become adapt to handling heavy loads which will in turn help you lift heavier and get stronger.

Now about high reps,Take the combine for example they test for reps with 225,If a lifter can lift 225 say 23 times it doesnt mean that they must be able to lift say 315 because 225 seems light.It just means that there muscles have great endurance and can handle 225 very easily.