What Laptop to Buy?

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]spenceryap wrote:
To run Matlab, get this spec - an i5 processor, 4-8GB Ram, SSD, 13.3-14 inch screen (for comfort viewing).
[/quote]
(Fixed it a little). This is your bread and butter. Then you look at battery life, screen resolution and price to decide. i3 is fine too.

[quote]daltron wrote:
An SSD isn’t nessecary. 99.999% of the people on this forum don’t have internet speeds that rival even a 10 year old mechanical hard drive.

I’m not familiar with Matlab, but I would be shocked if even a first gen i3 couldn’t handle it with ease.
[/quote]
SSDs have nothing to do with internet speed.

When windows boots or opens a program, a mechanical drive will have to move it’s head and spin to open every single little file required to run that program. That takes time. An SSD can access files much faster, which is the real benefit. Higher read and write speed is less important.

So it’s not internet browsing that’s affected. You’ll boot much faster, open programs and files much faster and the computer will feel brand new for years. It’s also quieter and slightly more shock resistant.[/quote]

I’m aware of the differences between an SSD and mechanical drive, but you quoted me responding to this: “SSD drives for faster uploading and downloading”. I was indeed arguing against a faster drive for faster internet speeds, not arguing against SSD’s in general.

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]spenceryap wrote:
To run Matlab, get this spec - an i5 processor, 4-8GB Ram, SSD, 13.3-14 inch screen (for comfort viewing).
[/quote]
(Fixed it a little). This is your bread and butter. Then you look at battery life, screen resolution and price to decide. i3 is fine too.

[quote]daltron wrote:
An SSD isn’t nessecary. 99.999% of the people on this forum don’t have internet speeds that rival even a 10 year old mechanical hard drive.

I’m not familiar with Matlab, but I would be shocked if even a first gen i3 couldn’t handle it with ease.
[/quote]

When windows boots or opens a program, a mechanical drive will have to move it’s head and spin to open every single little file required to run that program. That takes time. An SSD can access files much faster, which is the real benefit. Higher read and write speed is less important.

So it’s not internet browsing that’s affected. You’ll boot much faster, open programs and files much faster and the computer will feel brand new for years. It’s also quieter and slightly more shock resistant.[/quote]

I’m aware of the differences between an SSD and mechanical drive, but you quoted me responding to this: “SSD drives for faster uploading and downloading”. I was indeed arguing against a faster drive for faster internet speeds, not arguing against SSD’s in general.
[/quote]
Sorry, how sloppy of me.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]spenceryap wrote:
[/quote]

[quote]daltron wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Sorry, how sloppy of me.[/quote]

No worries, I just didn’t want anyone thinking I believed that lol.