T Nation

What Laptop to Buy?

I want to buy a laptop for school that I can carry around easily,mainly to write lab report and work with matlab. You know the kind of tiny laptop everyone have now… I really don’t know much about computers, do you guys have any site to guide me or info make a good choice?

Thanks

Depends on your price range, but if all you need are those two things, pretty much any cheap laptop will work. There’s a ton of specs and features you could go through, but again if you’re not too picky, I would just check ebay and slickdeals for a good deal on a small lightweight laptop or netbook. If you are actually looking for more or have something particular in mind, feel free to reply with that information.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
I want to buy a laptop for school that I can carry around easily,mainly to write lab report and work with matlab. You know the kind of tiny laptop everyone have now… I really don’t know much about computers, do you guys have any site to guide me or info make a good choice?

Thanks[/quote]

What’s your price range? Also, screen size/weight limitations? Netbooks are incredibly under-performing due to the fact they pretty much all use very low performance/power CPU’s. If weight is very important to you, an ultrabook would probably suit you fine.

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

What’s your price range? Also, screen size/weight limitations? Netbooks are incredibly under-performing due to the fact they pretty much all use very low performance/power CPU’s. If weight is very important to you, an ultrabook would probably suit you fine.
[/quote]

x2. Don’t buy a small netbook or you will hate running MATLAB. I assume you are connecting remotely to the school servers to use it. You need something decently powerful if you don’t want to smash your computer out of frustration.

I got a small netbook for doing the same type of stuff in college, but running any programs was extremely frustrating.

I just googled ‘‘netbook’’ and I found for example :

ASUS Eee PC X101CH-EU17–CB Matte Black Intel Atom N2600(1.60GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 320GB HDD Netbook

It’s 270$ and I don’t want to pay over 500$.

The CPU and every other aspect of this computer are stronger than my current desktop, which was alright for matlab. A 10-12’’ screen is good for me. So I don’t know?

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

Hey jas what are you studying now? I remember before you were doing music.

Anyway, my personal experience and observations seem to support the poster above who said not to go with a cheap netbook if you are working with software like MatLab.

I have a pretty average Dell with average specs and even then the programs that give me the most trouble are Maple and Stata. I’d assume it was just my case, but my friend who uses a netbook says it freezes all the time when he is using EViews. So there might be something to that.

Don’t know a lot about computers to really give any positive advice.

Good luck, though.

No price range? Easy choice…Mac

[quote]chobbs wrote:
No price range? Easy choice…Mac[/quote]

Honestly apple is nice, but they can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
No price range? Easy choice…Mac[/quote]

Honestly apple is nice, but they can be a pain in the ass sometimes. [/quote]
I love mine. I was told how they work just makes sense. Ex if you want to take a picture and put it in a file, you just click and drag it to the file

LOL I love mine to. Lately I have been getting annoyed with it though. There’s always new updates coming up and iMessage has been fucking up a lot, which ends up freezing my whole laptop. I’ve had mac book pro for four years now and its still running good, it’s just litle things that bug me lol, i guess im just picky now.

Maybe an Ultrabook? I’m looking into laptops/ultrabooks as well… I don’t want a gaming laptop or anything, but basically something that CAN run League of Legends (not too GPU-intensive). I don’t really care about the weight/size of it but I don’t want it to be too expensive/gaming-oriented, but also not skimpy on the specs either. Price range is probably max of $550-600 for me.

To run Matlab, get this spec - an i5 processor, 4-8MB Ram, SSD drives for faster uploading and downloading, 13.3-14 inch screen (for comfort viewing).

[quote]spenceryap wrote:
To run Matlab, get this spec - an i5 processor, 4-8MB Ram, SSD drives for faster uploading and downloading, 13.3-14 inch screen (for comfort viewing).

[/quote]

An SSD isn’t nessecary. 99.999% of the people on this forum don’t have internet speeds that rival even a 10 year old mechanical hard drive.

I’m not familiar with Matlab, but I would be shocked if even a first gen i3 couldn’t handle it with ease.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
I just googled ‘‘netbook’’ and I found for example :

ASUS Eee PC X101CH-EU17–CB Matte Black Intel Atom N2600(1.60GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 320GB HDD Netbook

It’s 270$ and I don’t want to pay over 500$.

The CPU and every other aspect of this computer are stronger than my current desktop, which was alright for matlab. A 10-12’’ screen is good for me. So I don’t know?[/quote]

Chances are, it’s probably not faster than your desktop (unless you desktop is 10 years old). The Atom CPU has one purpose: low power consumption. As a result, it has virtually no processing power. When it comes to CPU’s like the Intel Atom or AMD Turion, etc, they can’t be judged by core count or clock speeds.

The best deals I’ve found are at the lenovo outlet, but they get snapped up really quickly. You can get an i5 laptop there for around 300 bucks if you are lucky.

I was in the Apple store not long ago, looking around at some of the newer stuff. I was looking at the newer MacBook Pro with retina display, pretty impressive.

The sales kid, faux-hawk and all, comes over with his sales pitch. I know it was a good computer, but when he told me it was SO much lighter (a whole pound less), and SO much thinner (1/4 inch thinner), it reminded why I got so upset when the Mayan predictions were wrong.

[quote]spenceryap wrote:
To run Matlab, get this spec - an i5 processor, 4-8GB Ram, SSD, 13.3-14 inch screen (for comfort viewing).
[/quote]
(Fixed it a little). This is your bread and butter. Then you look at battery life, screen resolution and price to decide. i3 is fine too.

SSDs have nothing to do with internet speed.

When windows boots or opens a program, a mechanical drive will have to move it’s head and spin to open every single little file required to run that program. That takes time. An SSD can access files much faster, which is the real benefit. Higher read and write speed is less important.

So it’s not internet browsing that’s affected. You’ll boot much faster, open programs and files much faster and the computer will feel brand new for years. It’s also quieter and slightly more shock resistant.

Ultrabook for the win!!!

I have an Acer timeline 5u

Battery lasts 5/6 hours 14’’ screen weights 4lbs, intel i5 processor, 4gb of ram 320gb hard drive with a solid state cache.

Starts up in less than 10 seconds and comes instantly off sleep. Very slim and has an alluminium body. Would recommend.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]spenceryap wrote:
To run Matlab, get this spec - an i5 processor, 4-8GB Ram, SSD, 13.3-14 inch screen (for comfort viewing).
[/quote]
(Fixed it a little). This is your bread and butter. Then you look at battery life, screen resolution and price to decide. i3 is fine too.

[quote]daltron wrote:
An SSD isn’t nessecary. 99.999% of the people on this forum don’t have internet speeds that rival even a 10 year old mechanical hard drive.

I’m not familiar with Matlab, but I would be shocked if even a first gen i3 couldn’t handle it with ease.
[/quote]
SSDs have nothing to do with internet speed.

When windows boots or opens a program, a mechanical drive will have to move it’s head and spin to open every single little file required to run that program. That takes time. An SSD can access files much faster, which is the real benefit. Higher read and write speed is less important. So it’s not internet browsing that’s affected. You’ll boot much faster, open programs and files much faster and the computer will feel brand new for years. It’s also quieter and slightly more shock resistant.[/quote]

Yeah ur right, my boot files are stored on my ssd cashe so my laptop boots very quickly.

To build on the SSD, I have one in my desktop but I wish I bought one for my laptop! Boot time on my desktop is under 8 seconds, and I also have my main game installed which loads nicely.

I know my friend threw a SSD in their laptop and the battery life improved as well, not sure if that’s fact though.

(Oh, I suppose SSD could relate to internet speed because I hear some people are limited by their hard drives now with googles speeds haha! I wish I could download files that fast!)