What Kind Of Mask Do I Need?

You don’t need a mask… Medical professionals need the masks.

You can avoid getting infected by staying home unless you absolutely NEED to go out. If you want food/groceries, stock up for two weeks worth at a time… If you need booze/whatever (many adults seem to be stocking up on alcohol) order it online, don’t waltz into a crowded store… If you need medications, phone you’re pharmacist and ask for mail ordered meds (if possible)

These masks aren’t foolproof, they can’t filter out aerosoles… But they provide some semblance of protection… For a few hours until the mask becomes moist from the wearers breath. Said masks (given there’s a shortage) are best given to medical professionals/those on the frontline who are/may be consistently exposed to Covid-19

1 Like

I agree for the N95 masks, but I think all workers that are still being exposed to the public (IE “essential”) should wear something.

Fully agreed, for public workers that is. For the average Joe who now might be laid off/at home, just stay home

Public workers should also probably be receiving hazard pay.

One can always acquire a gas mask if they’re extremely anxious. As far as I’m aware these aren’t given out to MD’s

Thanks. Initially, I wasn’t even sure why you posted the link. That’s helpful.

Here’s a little info graphic for you.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/UnderstandDifferenceInfographic-508.pdf

I loathe seeing N95 masks on non medical personnel.

My wife is a nurse, and everyone who has rushed out to buy one of those things has directly affected her and her colleagues’ ability to remain safe, as now there is a HUGE shortage of PPE.

Completely selfish, and unnecessary.

2 Likes

I was referring to surgical masks, not the n95 respirators. In Aus I stopped going out nearly 2 wks ago, but when going out it was noticeable a portion of the populace was wearing surgical masks.

n95 masks need to be fit tested for efficiency, the avg Joe certainly shouldn’t be wearing one. Many health care workers (here at least) are wearing surgical masks as well as the n95 respirators. Surgical masks certainly aren’t foolproof, but they provide a barrier of protection against large respiratory particles, larger viral droplets etc

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-information-on-the-use-of-surgical-masks.pdf

One can see here NSW guidelines state

http://cec.health.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/572883/Application-of-PPE-in-Response-to-COVID-19-19-March-2020-V1.4.pdf

"Considerations when using a surgical mask for suspected or confirmed cases

In the majority of situations where standard respiratory protection is needed, a single use surgical mask is appropriate (minimum Level 1 barrier). Refer to Appendix 2 for AS 4381: 2015 Single use surgical face mask standard.

• Masks should be changed between patients and when they become soiled or wet
  • Masks should never be reapplied after they have been removed
  • Masks should not be left dangling around the neck
  • Touching the front of the mask while wearing it should be avoided
  • Hand hygiene should be performed upon touching or discarding a used mask."

P2/N95 respirators are being reserved for “For COVID-19 the use of P2/N95 masks should be reserved for AGPs or where the risk assessment places the patient in airborne precautions…”

The average guy/girl (in my opinion mind you) has no business stocking up on the masks medical professionals require (but there is a shortage of) unless they’re sick and are around others and/or there is a sick family member/friend living in his/her house.

Both my sisters are medical professionals and I would probably have to fight the urge to punch someone wearing one in public right now.

But honestly plenty of people being selfish in all sorts of other ways as well.

1 Like

Incredibly, it’s very difficult to get people to wear these, even in an acidy gaseous toxic particulate hexavalent chromium saturated environment.

Doesn’t have that cool medical kind of thing happening though.

I have two right now. I’m a cop and they gave them to me but the right time to use it is still unclear…

I saw the mention of gloves above and I can’t help but notice that gloves provide a false sense of security. Wearing gloves protects your hands but does nothing if you touch your keys, door handle, phone, face or anything else. The hands don’t infect you. It’s this germs on your hands getting transferred to your food or face. Gloves don’t change that.

1 Like

I was too narrow. I definitely get first responders etc.
I saw some lady buying groceries the other day spring one and she wasn’t the first. We were easily the same age.

I don’t get the gloves much either. I’m no where near an expert, but they do seem to be missing the point for a lot of folks.

1 Like

I’m not a cop, but i’d assume to mitigate risk you’d probably want to wear one if in close contact with a perp (so if you’re arresting someone, conducting a roadside breathalyzer test etc).

RBTs have been postponed indefinitely here. I was in favour for dropping roadside saliva resting as they had literally no correlation in relation to testing for the legitimate presence of impairment (and handling saliva in this case would be significantly hazardous)… But dropping police roadblocks accurately weeding out drunk drivers seems like a bad idea… The breathalyzer device may be hazardous, so couldn’t you conduct roadside sobriety tests wherein you aren’t close to the person behind the wheel. Esp when you’ve got a ton of people stocking up on booze in response to this pandemic.

I assume not as many people will be driving, so perhaps it won’t be a problem, only time will tell.

We’re not doing much police work. We’ve been told to avoid traffic stops unless the driving is dangerous. We’re clearing warrants by giving them a new court date instead of taking them to jail. And we’re handling as much as we can over the phone.

What about emergencies (robberies, break ins, assault etc)?

We’re still responding to active calls.

1 Like