what kind of look are you looking for?

I’d like to look more like Frank Zane but I’ll probably be closer to the Men’s Health thing. I don’t have the genetics to get that large and stay lean. Being lean is more important to my wife…and I do still like to get laid. The look in a woman’s eyes tells me the right size to be. Sorry to burst any bubbles but more gay guys are attracted to freaky bodybuilders than any women are. I don’t care if I can lift the whole gym, I don’t care if I look like I can lift the whole gym. I just want to be fit and be able to move easily. I ski, I hunt, I ride horses, none of those are made easier by packing around a lot of extra weight, even if it’s muscle.

That is what i want to look like.

yeah this fella frank zane seems to have the ideal look im striving for (although doubt i’ll ever reach)…brad pitt in fight club was what i think i can definately attain relatively quickly (within a year) w.o. drugs

There are a couple of the silliest, most backwards responses I have ever heard!

Rayfusion-You want to be a Men’s Health guy because muscles make you too “stiff”? The ol’ “muscle bound” myth. I think every serious lifter is laughing his ass off at that one. Weight training doesn’t make you stiff, no matter how heavy you lift, or how big you get, if you are smart and stretch. Now sitting on the couch, that’ll make you stiff!
El Machinae-you want to be “fit” but not “look” like you work out, because you’d get no respect? WTF? What a load of crap! What are you doing on a web site called “Testosterone”? I think you should try “Estrogen.com”, might be a better fit. Listen, nothing commands respect like big slabs of lean muscle popping out of a human body. Muscle mass sets you apart from the crowd, and most imporantly gives you self-confidence. The only serious weightlifters who don’t get respect are those with low self-esteem to begin with, and they’d get no respect irregardless of what they look like. I’m 5’10" 200 lbs, never get over 8% bf, competition bench 410, and I am well respected, admired even by my co-workers and classmates. Hell, I was nominated to be pharmacy class president the other day, and I didn’t know anything about it. What it boils down to is respecting yourself. Now the guys I don’t respect are the pussies that stay at the OTHER end of the gym, you real lifeters know who I mean… the guys who have their asses velcroed to the thigh adducter and leg extension machines,strolling at 2 mph on the treadmill,and never venturing into the back of the gym where its “scary”, big plates clanging, squat racks, chalk on the floor, much too sweaty and unsanitary for them! I think these are just excuses not too work hard myself, but thats just my .02. Sorry for jumpin on the soapbox fellas, but I had to vent. As far as who I’d want to look like, Arnie and Larry Scott come to mind.

I like the build of Dan “the beast” Severn of UFC and wrestling fame. He definately has the concrete cylinder build which is hell to try and grapple against. His arms and legs are also like concrete cylinders which makes it difficult for guys to find anything to grab onto. It seems to me that guys with this type of build in power sports ( grappling, football, hockey, ect.) seem to last the longest while suffering the least amount of injuries. I think most people favour the type of body they are most likely to be capable of developing. This is true for me. If I was capable of building the “V” taper bodybuilding type build I probably would do so in a heartbeat. It’s a huge struggle for me to get below 10% bf and I end up feeling lethargic and weak. I’ve learned to enjoy being 5’9, 220, 11%bf with no neck and strong like a bull. I’m shooting for the look of the old greek image of Zeus.

Olyimpc gymnast

Paul Anderson

Great pic, nice kilt. :wink:

Peter North. Nuff said.

I’m going for the Steve Reeves look at about 190 lbs. Also a little Jack Lalanne thrown in with a some Mark Walberg. I’m almost there too! About another 6-8 months.

Stefan Fernholm, the late Swenden discus thrower. Big & strong. He was 6’1, wt: 270, ran a 4.3 forty, vertical jump was 40 inches. He was awesome!

I train for powerlifting, so I don’t care what I look like (actually I do care, but I don’t train for a look). I keep lean, so that I’m competitive in my weight class. This has a side benefit in that the ladies seem to like what they see. As far as the actual look, I like the lean powerlifting look…we look strong and manly, while most bodybuilders look big and gay! If I had to choose a bodybuilder physique, I suppose it would be Arnold or Franco Columbu. It certainly wouldn’t be a fag from the cover of Men’s Health, or one of the today’s pro homos!

Arnold because I think he had one of the best upper bodies around with such a small waist. I think todays pro are grotesque. All of them look like freaks. To me the old timers looked better.

I don’t many people can pick how they want to look. For example, most people couldn’t look freaky big no matter how much they trained or used chemical assistance. Very few people every have to worry about their muscles being larger or more developed than they would like. Basically, train to look like Dorian but you’ll probably end up like a fitness model - train to look like a fitness model and you’ll probably end up with a body like a marathon runner.

Hey…I know a lot of you guys “look down” on such a question, but I look at it as one of those goals you strive for. Not in some weird, unrealistic way, but merely as a goal.

Somewhere BETWEEN a “Men’s Health” guy, and say a Shawn Ray. More muscle than the model… but not quite as big as Shawn, (but with his symmetry).

im with dirk d on the JMB look. right now my goal is to be about 185 @ 6% BF. I am 5"8 so i think anything bigger would almost be too big for my frame. right now, i’m 167 @ ~10%. hopefully i will be able to gain that 20 pounds of muscle by next summer with the assistance of some mag-10.

The look of the 70’s bodybuilder is THE look, what we have today looks like the equivalent of women’s breast implants.

Your choice of Zane is a good one, for me…I’m looking for more the Draper look, big but REAL.

Bill Pearls’ physique. He was thick, not too cut up. He always looks “full” in his photos. I don’t think I will ever be able to maintain a cut-up look myself. On the plus side, he was also an athlete (olympic wrestling stand-by). He has stuck with bodybuilding throughout his entire life. That is important. Kaz is awesome also, although he is a walking pharmacy.

Calvein klein look(mens helth,) the best way to got more girls :slight_smile:

Tgun I wrote it on my first reply… but its under issue #162 its called the “creations of a t-man” its a good article.