T Nation

What Kind of Lifting Belt?

I went over to elite fts to look for a lifting belt, and saw 3 different kinds. How do I know which one to get?

I’ve been squatting for years w/out one, but am starting to think it would be a wise investment.

Is your lower back starting to hurt more now?

How heavy do you go and how frequent? How’s your core strength? Do you powerlift?

Just curious, man.

Cheers,

-Nate

I use one similar to the EFS Powerbelt.

I’m an active powerlifter and I use it often.

nate-
my core strengths good, probably from all the time not using a belt. I have been doing heavy triples(10x3) alot.
I also have been interested in getting into powerlifting, and have been messing around with some basic westside templates.
My back isn’t starting to hurt, I was just thinking I should use it as a precautionary measure.

If you just want support, get whatever one is the cheapest. All the Elite belts are top notch and whatever is the least expensive will take care of you forever.

the thickness doesn’t matter? some are enough to cover almost my whole lower back, while one is almost like a regular belt…

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
I went over to elite fts to look for a lifting belt, and saw 3 different kinds. How do I know which one to get?

I’ve been squatting for years w/out one, but am starting to think it would be a wise investment.[/quote]

aren’t they all pretty much the same belt? Just minor variance in thickness. If you’ve never used a belt before and don’t plan on competing in powerlifting get the thinnest belt they have. That should be more than enough support.

APT Lifting Belts are great, i recently bought one and i absolutley love it…two of my freinds are ditching their belts and getting the one i have…

www.prowriststraps.com

Sorry to hijack, but is a backpump from squats indicative of impending injury, weak core, or just bad form?

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
the thickness doesn’t matter? some are enough to cover almost my whole lower back, while one is almost like a regular belt…[/quote]

You’re talking about width not thickness.

I just checked elite and they have 3 belts. The “training” belt which is less wide, tapered and thinner. Then the classic 10mm and 13mm. I would probably just get the training belt if I was you, or maybe step up to the 10mm.

I just bought my fourth (and probably last) belt. The 13mm Forever Lever belt from Inzer. Compared to the much lighter belts I’m used to it’s a bit of a monster. It’s VERY stiff, VERY thick and VERY supportive. It cost almost twice what some of the competition costs (~$70) but I plan to be buried in it so I can’t complain.

thanks for clarifying guys